The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 20, 2005, 11:31 PM   #1
USSF

Glock grip angle

I hear a lot of people say they don't like the grip angle on Glocks, but exactly how many degrees is the grip angle? And also isn't the grip angle on 1911's 18 degrees?
Old July 20, 2005, 11:47 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

First of all, the "Glock" grip angle is far from being a uniquely Glock feature. There are several other well-known pistols with a very similar grip angle, including the very first 9mm pistol (Luger), the Steyr M series pistols, the H&K P7, and the Ruger Mk II & III to name a few. These guns all have grip angles of 110 degrees, give or take a degree. I believe the Glock grip angle is actually 109 degrees.

There are two ways to measure grip angle, you're using the small number method--subtract 90 from these numbers to get a number equivalent to yours.

I believe the 1911 grip angle is actually closer to 103 degrees (13 degrees using your measurement technique) but there are probably folks here that are more knowledgeable about the 1911 design.
Old July 20, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Hard Ball

The Glock grip angle works well for many people, but very poorly for others. I am one of the others, In rapid fire from a down ready position a Glock shoots 12 to 18 inches low for me at 10 to 15 yards, For that reason I will never carry one. If it works for you fine. If not, carry something else.
Old July 21, 2005, 12:08 AM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

Hard Ball,

What grip angle does work for you? I thought that most folks complained that Glocks point high compared to the 1911...

(Hey--that was #3000!) I hardly ever notice my count but it caught my eye.
Old July 21, 2005, 10:21 AM   #5
OBIWAN

Probably gonna regret saying this

With the number of Glocks in service and on the streets

It is not a bad idea to be able to shoot one accurately

You don't have to love them...but being familiar with them...and able to shoot them reasonably well...is not a bad skill to have!

Kinda like being in the Middle East and being able to drive an AK
Old July 21, 2005, 10:23 AM   #6
tulsamal

Quote:
What grip angle does work for you? I thought that most folks complained that Glocks point high compared to the 1911...
Good catch! He would shoot 2-3 feet low with a 1911! He needs something with a grip angle of 130-140 degrees!

Gregg
Old July 21, 2005, 10:50 AM   #7
Hard Ball

Actually the 1911A1 grip works very well for me as do the SIG P22X grips.
Old July 21, 2005, 04:32 PM   #8
dm1333

I shoot low with my G27

Probably 10 inches low if I just point and shoot. With my Astra I get a nice tight cluster at center of mass but I have been shooting the Astra for over 10 years and the Glock for 5 weeks. I think most people just need to practice more with the weapon and develop some muscle memory. My big beef about the Glock is that the hump on the back strap is uncomfortable and the next thing I am going to do is have the grip reshaped.
Old July 21, 2005, 04:37 PM   #9
buffalo_bore

I don't know about all these angles, and mathematics. All I know is that I've never shot better with a semi than with a Glock. Not much experience with semis, but whenever I get to shoot my buddy's Glock, everything seems to line up just perfectly for me. When the time comes to buy my first semi pistol, it'll be a Glock.
Old July 21, 2005, 07:26 PM   #10
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Good catch! He would shoot 2-3 feet low with a 1911!
Well, I wasn't really trying to catch him, I was actually curious. I just couldn't recall anyone saying a more raked grip angle caused them to shoot low before.

Seriously, the 1911 should point even lower if the Glock is already pointing low for you. Perhaps the issue has to do with a difference in the trigger or the amount muzzle flip and not grip angle?
Old July 21, 2005, 07:39 PM   #11
Zekewolf

Good story, but the Glock's grip angle has nothing to do with shooting low as described. Now the Glock's trigger and the shooter's inability to master it, that's another question.

Glocks and 1911's work fine for me. I shoot them both during the same range sessions, with no difficulties at all. I'd say fretting is the major problem going on in this thread.
Old July 23, 2005, 05:46 AM   #12
WESHOOT2

actual performance

I have learned to test (most) everything; forget 'comfortable'.

Glocks don't point correctly for me. I've even had a grip reduction (M20) yet it still did not point right for me.

I (still) don't really like 1911's (I really really like my Witnesses) but they allow me to shoot my best.

Close your eyes, grab-n-point your gun -- open your eyes and maybe learn something...........