The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 17, 2005, 09:47 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Berrys vs Rainier Bullets $$$

I have been looking at the Barrys and the Rainiers jacketed bullets and found them to be the better buy for this type of bullet. If anyone has used many of these, I would like to know how they compare. Or maybe you know of another brand that is in this class for about the same price or better.

I plan to load them with a Dillon 550 in .380, 9mm, and .40 cal. round nose for target shooting.

Would like to hear your comments, and what powders and loads you like for these bullets.

Thanks
Old July 17, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2
rangerich

rainier load data errors, 9mm 115gr prn

I purchased 9mm 115gr plated Rainier from Midway.
There was not much load data for these creatures.
I use Unique and AA#5 so finding loads for these were my goal.
From the rainier web site, if found the load data for aa#5 and found the same data at accurate web sites.
Unique worked ok, but #5 gave a 90% stovepipe in my Walther p99 and Beretta 92.
Contacting Rainier, they say plated are not the same as lead, and not fmj, something in-between.
To make a long story short, Accurate said the load data was faulty and would pull it from their web site. Use the load data for a FMJ bullet, I did and it works fine, no signs of overpressure.
Rainier still has the AA#5 115gr plated data that is no good, the do-not-exceed load gives about a 40% failure rate, the start load is 100%, no signs of over-pressure.
hope this helps
Old July 17, 2005, 11:56 PM   #3
Kamicosmos

I've used rainers for a while in .40, .45, and even .44.

Have switched back to Winchester FMJ. Better consistancy and accuracy for only a few bucks more per 500.

A friend tried the Berry's, and was less than pleased. Even more inconsistant and inaccurate than the rainers.

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old July 18, 2005, 01:08 AM   #4
MrApathy

in 9mm just go with remington or winchester or heck get some hornady. FMJ/JHP 9mm bullets with a good coat are cheap. now for 40sw I would recommend rainier they have been accurate for me. 180gr bullet data is easiest to come by and uses less powder. havent tried berry's or west coast plated bullets here neither is as thick.

Old July 18, 2005, 07:07 PM   #5
BigSlick

Montana Gold - about the same price, free shipping and jacketed.

I shoot the 230gr ball in 45ACP and 165gr flat point in 40 SW. Both are accurate, uniform and no leading at any speed.

Zero bullets have a good reputation too, but I haven't tried any (yet).

BigSlick
Nobody likes war, but if you find yourself in one - fight for those you serve with and to make the trip home. Show mercy to those that deserve it and a relentless, ruthless, cunning evil to those who don't.