The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 15, 2005, 05:21 PM   #1
DakTo

Browning BDM & FN HP DAO

I'm not trying to upset the apple cart or start a flame war but my research has shown the the Browning Hi-Power was not made by but it imported by Browning. FN = Fabric Nationale in Herstal, Belgium makesmade the so called Belgium Browning. My reason to begin research is that I just aquired a NIB FN HP DAO. The slide looks like the Hi- Power but the muzzle end of the slide is only 3/4" wide by my measure and other's say 13/16". I have wanted a Hi-Power and was told that CDNN has them but they are made FN in Herstal Belgium. Anyway, i was at a new to me gun bazaar and the dealer and i got to talking. I mentioned that even though i like the 45 i still wanted a Browning and he showed me two behind the counter but they were marked on the left hand side, "FN Herstal Belgium" on the slide and on the frame they were marked "Imported by FN Manufacturing Inc, Columbia S.C." On the right side, the slide was marked "HP-DAO cal.9x19" and the serial number was on the frame and barrel. Having not down my homework as thoroughly as i should have i thought i was getting a DAO Hi-power. The dealer had ordered several for a local PD and kept two for himself and or for his shop. They are idententical to the third on down the page Browning BDAO = HP DAO if sold in Europe to the local police.

http://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg104-e.htm

If you read the description it says it all. Some say it's a Browning BDM, this i do not know but i do know it uses BDM 15 round mags because it came with a magazine marked Browning BDM LEO only. I think the dealer ordered the LEO mags and added them to his deal with the PD. And the grips are the same as the BDM. According to the website the DAO uses a 14 round mag.
Old July 15, 2005, 06:00 PM   #2
Handy

The BDM is a very different pistol, and was made in Utah. A great design, the execution was lackluster. It is not what you bought.

The HP-DAs are being sold by CDNN for about $300 right now. They're supposed to be good guns.

It would be very difficult for a true "Hi Power" to be made in a DAO version. By the time you change all the linkages around to make such a trigger work, 90% of the internals would be different.
Old July 16, 2005, 08:59 AM   #3
DakTo

Thank you Handy, so what i have is a DAO 9mm FN made in Herstal, Belgium, correct??
Old July 16, 2005, 09:18 AM   #4
Eric Larsen

The original SA BHP was not made by Browning but for Browning by FN under the Browning licence. So you are right, Browning never made the gun, in essence.
What you have is what FN called the Hi Power Double Action which they can do as the Browning rights to the name ran out. The BDM is a very different gun like Handy pointed out.
The HP DAO you bought is a nice gun......I had the Compact version with the Trad. DA trigger.....very very nice gun, except in my mind the Firing pin Block design was over engineered and resulted in very poor trigger characteristics.
Heres a pic of your gun.......Although it says Hi Power on it, its not a Classic Hi Power that we all know and love as designed by Browning.

Heres the Browning BDM which was introduced over 10 years ago and WAS made by Browning. Its not marketed or represented as a Hi Power.

The BDM mags work in it as FN used alot of the BDM's design in the BDA's design. They wont work with STD SA BHP mags.

Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old July 16, 2005, 04:45 PM   #5
DakTo

Gentlemen, thanks for your valuable info. I like to know as much as possible about a new firearm and between the two of you sharing your knowledge i feel the that void has been filled.
Old July 16, 2005, 04:53 PM   #6
cghammo

Should read the entire thread before I open my mouth.
Old July 16, 2005, 05:38 PM   #7
DHart

To clarify... Browning selected FN to be the builder of the Hi-Power at inception in 1935 or so. FN Herstal in Belgium has been the maker of the Browning Hi-Power all along. Somewhere along the way, FN bought Browning and owns Browning today. FN also brands some of the Hi-Powers as FN Hi-Powers, but they are the same gun, made on the same production line... just marketed under the FN brand name.

The gun you have is not the original Hi-Power design, but a variant off the original.

The original Hi-Power is still available as a Browning Hi-Power and as an FN Hi-Power, however I believe that FN will no longer be selling FN branded Hi-Powers in the USA, but will sell than as Browning branded Hi-Powers. THere is also some talk that the Hi-Power model will be phased out entirely in the near future.

If you want the original Hi-Power design that is such a remarkable pistol, now is the time to do it. You can save a bundle by buying an FN Hi-Power 9mm (equivalent of a Browning MkIII Hi-Power) for $399 from CDNN right now. But I believe their supply may be nearly out. Of course you can still buy Browning branded Hi-Powers for the time being, albeit at higher cost.

I can't recommend the original Hi-Power design enough... they're awesome guns with literally millions in service all around the world. Best are those made by FN, as there are a few other makers of the Hi-Power design which are of lesser quality than those made by FN (Browning brand and FN brand).
Old July 17, 2005, 11:03 AM   #8
gak

A friend has one of the very first BDMs (Utah) out of the chute--Browning's first foray into the high capacity DA field. Some of the very best ergonomics--as someone else said great design but perhaps lackluster execution. Only problem (as I recall) is the reverse safety..I believe its up/down movement safe and fire are opposite that of the 1911/BHP design..if my recollection is true (it's been years) a dangerous and ridiculous feature. Otherwise the size (for a "full size") is superb, if anything slimmer all around than the BHP. The BDM once and for all proved to the world (that still in many instances is not "getting it right")--and would have been noticed if the gun had otherwise succeeded--that you can have a high capacity double stack and still have a very slim grip. The BDM is unbelievable in this regard--slimmer than the BHP! How they did it I don't know (obviously very thin grip panel and/or under-structure but don't know the specifics).
Old July 17, 2005, 10:59 PM   #9
Robert Hairless

Will the 9mm BDM magazines work in the HP-DAc (or the HP-DAOc)? Note that I am asking about the compact pistols. The magazines for these compacts have two cutouts (one on each side) instead of the single cutout on the standard Hi-Powers.
Old July 18, 2005, 12:44 AM   #10
ozarkhillbilly

The BDM mags are suposed to work in the full size FN HP-DAc, Iam not sure about the compacts though. You might call CDNN (1-800-588-9500) and ask them they sell both full size and compacts as well as a few BDMs still in stock.

I just sold my tutone BDM it was a great gun shot great and the size was wonderful for a full size gun, that said I had two problems with it, 1. it would not reliable cycle with FMJ rounds worked great with hollow points. 2. the high capacity mags and I had 4 of them all factory would jam the gun. The 10rnders worked great I had 6 of them.
Old July 18, 2005, 08:33 AM   #11
gak

Ozark, that's really odd -- if a gun will not cycle something, it's usually the other way around - JHPs, not the FMJ/ball stuff! Also, Do you recall whether the safety operation on the BDM was opposite (my long ago recollection) that of the BHP/1911 design (i.e., which position was safe vs fire - up or down?)
Old July 18, 2005, 11:17 PM   #12
ozarkhillbilly

yes it was odd, winchester white box, umc, and a couple of others would not feed reliably but I never ran across a hollowpoint that I had any problem with so thats what I shot out of it and thats a big reason why I sold it, expensive to shoot. and yes the safety was upside down but you get used to that real quick. It was a good gun and great for ccw but I got a xd9 subcompact for that now
Old August 2, 2005, 11:23 PM   #13
gunsdog25

fn compact 9

CDNN is out of the FN compact 9mm . hi power...
just purchased a FN USG 5-7
3-20 round mags

$799.99
$9.99 shipping
$2.99 adult sig

$812.97 out the door

limited quantities if you want one ask for chris at cdnn 1-800-588-9500
or email him to get a catalog chrisatcdnn@hotmail.com

Last edited by gunsdog25; August 2, 2005 at 11:23 PM. Reason: plus