The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2005, 06:41 PM   #1
Silent Savage

New to reloading...need advice

Want to start off by saying this is a great forum...by far the best I've encountered on the web. Great advice and tech savy people...glad to be a part of it.

I need advice on a press set up and wanted to get a few opinions before I made the plunge into equipment. Here is what I plan on reloading, .223, 300 win mag, 50 bmg and maybe 45 acp. I am more concerned with 300 win and the 50 bmg. I was just wondering if the is a press or set up that is better with cases this size. Any of your input will be appreciated. Thanks again.
Old July 11, 2005, 08:57 PM   #2
scottys1

Most any single stage press will handle most any centerfire rifle and pistol round. If .50BMG is in your future, you need to get a press that will handle it. The dies are larger and will not fit in standard 7/8" threads. I have an RCBS Rock Chucker press that has a bushing that can be removed to accomodate .50BMG dies. I'm sure there are other presses that can do the same.
Old July 11, 2005, 10:33 PM   #3
smedley

The RockChucker is a great all around press!! I have two and a junior on my bench. The best advice that I can give you is get a couple of good reloading manuals READ THEM and take your time when you are at the bench. Don't shortcut and don't guess. It is one of the greatest pastimes that man has invented!!
Oh yea ENJOY YOURSELF

The bench is where the bullet is put in:
The target is where the bullet ends up:
Old July 11, 2005, 10:41 PM   #4
rwilson452

press for .50bmg

I just bought a Lee Classic Cast press. this one is a hulking monster. Their ads indicate they developed it with the BMG in mind. It does require a special shell holder for the BMG. One report I saw said that it worked just fine. the shell holder option also comes with a primer adaption. I bought it because i wanted something roomy for my big hands and decided I wanted an "O" type not a "C" type press. As I recall the Midway lists it for around $65.
Old July 12, 2005, 01:23 AM   #5
mtnboomer

Go with the Lee Anniversary Reloading Kit. It has the cast aluminum "O" press as well as almost everything you'll need - except dies and cartridge components - to start reloading. Depending on how new a kit you get, it will have a copy of Modern Reloading or Modern Reloading II by Richard Lee. You can get this kit for about $100 if you shop around.

By the way, you'll need at least 3 reloading manuals to start with - Modern Reloading (I or II) and Lyman 48th Edition Reloading Handbook are two I strongly recommend.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 12, 2005, 11:29 AM   #6
Silent Savage

Thanks for the advice guys. I will check out the presses you have mentioned and I will definitely read a couple of reloading books before I get started. I am the kind of person who actually reads the manual before I start messing with things especialy when it has to do with firearms. You can never be too safe with this sort of stuff. Thanks again for taking the time to reply.
Old July 12, 2005, 12:30 PM   #7
zeisloft

What ever you do, do not get your pistol powder in the same room when loading the BMG!
~z
Old July 12, 2005, 10:36 PM   #8
mtnboomer

Welcome to our nightmare, SS!!!

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old July 15, 2005, 12:46 PM   #9
MAUSER88

I would spend a few more bucks and get the RCBS Master Reloading Kit from Midway. It has most of the things needed to begin reloading and will last a lifetime.
Old July 15, 2005, 01:44 PM   #10
Brian Williams

DITTO Master Reloading kit from RCBS.
Old July 15, 2005, 03:17 PM   #11
Silent Savage

Thanks for the input the more the better!
Old July 15, 2005, 09:39 PM   #12
b_ionian

"DITTO Master Reloading kit from RCBS."

+2. That, plus a caliper, dies, shell-holder (sometime included with dies but not always), bullets, brass, and primers is all you will need. I got mine from Cabela's.
Old July 15, 2005, 10:28 PM   #13
flutedchamber

RCBS 50 BMG press

RCBS makes a press, and a kit press with dies and shell holder for the 50 BMG. The press also comes with a reducer so you can use standard 7/8-14 dies to load all of the "normal" calibers. While this press is more costly than the Lee 50 cal press, it is an alternative to someone who prefers RCBS products.