The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 9, 2005, 06:21 PM   #1
big daddy 9mm

blued or stainless for ccw

I was wondering looking at all of taurus's revolvers if a blued gun is easier to conceal because it is dark. or would you guys say that it would not matter. I personaly dress clothes most of the time so I was wondering if I should go with blued instead of stainless, what do you guts think???

and one more thing. what is easier to conceal, revolver or semi auto. does the cylinder get in the way since it is the fattest part of the gun.
Old July 9, 2005, 07:06 PM   #2
nemesis

Quote:
I was wondering looking at all of taurus's revolvers if a blued gun is easier to conceal because it is dark. or would you guys say that it would not matter.
Dunno about whether it's easier to conceal because it's dark. Nobody can see my gun because it's concealed. I guess it could have polka dots on it and it wouldn't matter but I usually carry a stainless gun because it lives in a very gun-hostile environment. I carry everywhere I go, work and Church included, and need a gun that won't corrode in a hot, humid, semi-tropical environment.
Old July 9, 2005, 07:13 PM   #3
IM_Lugger

I'm a semi-auto guy and prefer stainless over blued; looks better and needs less care. As for consilability I guess it would depend which guns you're talking about
Old July 9, 2005, 08:33 PM   #4
juliet charley

For all practical purposes, it's six of one and half a dozen of the other. Stainless steel's only advantage is that is it somewhat lower maintenance--if you carry blued, in a hot, muggy, sweaty environment (particularly IWB), you are going to have to discipline yourself to at least of few minutes of maintenance time (a wipe down with an oily rag) every day (and actually, that's not a bad idea with stainless either, but you do have a little more leeway).
Old July 9, 2005, 09:23 PM   #5
poortrader

you'll have less holster wear with stainless steel.

NRA Life Member
Old July 9, 2005, 09:33 PM   #6
kirkcdl

Semi-autos are generally thinner,and therefore easier to conceal.Not that you can't successfully conceal a revolver,but you have more choices in a semi auto,in regards to concealability,caliber,and capacity,than you would have in an equally concealable revolver.
Old July 9, 2005, 09:40 PM   #7
ArmyCop

I don't think it matters much for ccw. If your wearing dark clothes and have black \ blued and it has a moment of show probably not very noticable. If holster is black and same thing with stainless - probably same results.

Personal pref.

Friend of mine likes SS - said the more visible (to a bg) the better.

Each to their own opinion.
Old July 9, 2005, 11:23 PM   #8
Majic

No one sees the color of the gun. It's the imprint of a gun that gives it away. So choose the finish pleases you the best.
Once you learn to dress around the gun and how to make certain body movements then you can conceal just about any handgun, but most semi-autos are flatter thus making them somewhat easier to conceal.
Old July 10, 2005, 06:27 AM   #9
juliet charley

Quote:
but most semi-autos are flatter thus making them somewhat easier to conceal.
Though that's the conventional wisdom, I've found it not necessarily true. Thinner weapons are easier to carry but not necessarily to conceal, and a lot of the autoloaders on the market today (particular those of the polymer persuasion and those with modified Browning lock-up) while flat are definitely NOT thin (but rather chunky in most cases, to be honest).

The hardest part of any weapon to conceal is the grip, and the wide, relatively straight (and rough when it comes to most polymers) grips do not lend themselves well to concealment. The short, round and infinitely modifiable grips of most revolvers are easier to conceal (particularly if you remember you don't necessarily have to use grip the manufacturer chose put on it--you can replace that large tacky rubber grip with something smoother and rounder--don't forget straight lines are the enemy of concealment).
Old July 10, 2005, 09:06 AM   #10
Russ5924

I had the choice when I got my 9MM and went with the SS easier to keep clean and from handling not as prone to rust as the bluing.Also heard from different posts the Taurus bluing wasn't that great would wear off easy.
Old July 10, 2005, 09:49 AM   #11
RWK

poortrader . . .

Quote:
"you'll have less holster wear with stainless steel."
With respect, I do not believe this is correct. Stainless steel alloys are slightly softer metals than carbon/ordnance steel alloys. Therefore, holster wear is actually marginally grater with stainless handguns. However – and this really agrees with your point – we do not readily see or perceive stainless’ holster wear, because we are not removing the very thin layer of bluing through many removals/replacement s of the firearm.
Old July 10, 2005, 10:05 AM   #12
RWK

big daddy . . .

Unless I misperceive, your basic question focuses on the visibility of blue versus stainless handguns, with your thesis being less visibility is better.

Like many others, I do not believe that there is any real difference between the two alternatives. However, you may want to consider one point that has not yet been articulated: Many – perhaps most – “handgun situations” end successfully just by presenting the weapon. The felon flees when confronted by the armed good guy. Therefore, I suggest the more visible – and the bigger – the sidearm, the more effective it will be in dissuading the criminal. This is part of my rationale for preferring full-sized autoloaders and revolvers; their “menace factor” is large and I would rather scare the threat into leaving than shoot him.

To illustrate, I know that my “smallish” Glock 36 (loaded with a top-rated .45 ACP +P hollow points) is a much more formidable handgun than an old “ball and black power” revolver from the Civil War era. However, the almost 150-year-old revolver may look a lot bigger and more intimidating to the uneducated crook.
Old July 10, 2005, 05:53 PM   #13
dairycreek

Dear big daddy 9mm

Your question seems to pose a difference between a blued gun and a stainless gun as far as concealability is concerned if I read it correctly. If that is true, then the question misses the fundamental point of carrying concealed. That point is, no matter what your choice of CCW, you take on the obligation of concealing it no matter what that choice might be So, for the question you pose the answer is that there is no difference per se.

I have carried concealed for nearly 40 years and IMHO stainless is a better choice for that. It more effectively resists body sweat, rusts less (though you still must take care that it is cleaned and lubed), and is a better choice for a concealed carry weapon. Hope this helps some

GOOD SHOOTING
Old July 11, 2005, 12:20 AM   #14
big daddy 9mm

thanks for all the replys

you guys have pretty much answered my question. I was also curious what you guys opinion was about what is easier to conceal, semi or wheel. I have a pistol that is 6.5 inches long and 4.5 inches high and it seems like it would be a hassle to conceal because it is blocky. its a brcyo jennings. I would never conceal the pistol that I have but I was tring to get a feel for the sizes. para has a pistol in that same dimentions. according to all the pistol companies, that would be a compact pistol. it just seems to me that revolvers would be easier to carry. changing the question to what would be easier to conceal????semis or revolvers??????
Old July 11, 2005, 05:50 AM   #15
juliet charley

Opinions/experience varies widely because there are so many personal variables (like build, manner of dressing, etc.) involved. For me revolvers are slightly easier and more comfortable to conceal (one I finally found the right holster). For example, a full-size, four-inch King Cobra conceals better (and more comfortably) for me than a Glock 26 which is billed as a sub-compact.

I think the irregular lines and the ability to change the grip on a revolver (to short, smooth and rounded) makes concealment easier. Also, when you move to IWB, most holsters are designed to carry revolvers higher which works very well for my build. I touched on the subject in post #9.

Probably the easiest weapons to carry and conceal is a S&W J-frame, Taurus 85 (or variant) and the Colt Detective Special (or Cobra or Agent). You can drop one of these small revolvers drop right into a front pocket, and you're ready to go.
Old July 11, 2005, 08:24 AM   #16
tex45acp

big daddy,

A lot depends on how you plan to carry. I usually wear a t-shirt under my regular shirt to keep the gun from rubbing against my skin. I sweat more this way....especially in the Texas summer heat and humidity. I prefer stainless for this reason, but usually carry one of my blued, parkerized or coated guns.
Old July 11, 2005, 12:05 PM   #17
yorec

I prefer stainless guns for CCW because the stainless finish doesn't show holster wear like blued guns do. (satisfy ya RWK?)

I also find that semi-autos are flatter and easier to carry, but the caliber choice required to achive a noticeable level of greater flatness is usually less... (I can carry a .357 revolver which is as narrow as almost any semi unless I drop to .380 or smaller caliber) There's alway a trade off.

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old July 11, 2005, 12:53 PM   #18
TX_RGR

The only time anyone will see it is if I have to pull it. In that case, it will be difficult to hide the fact that I am armed. The muzzle flash and noise will most likely give it away.
Old July 11, 2005, 02:06 PM   #19
Kevin Quinlan

I prefer the looks of Blue, but for carry I prefer Stainless

Kevin
Old July 11, 2005, 03:48 PM   #20
nemesis

Quote:
I prefer the looks of Blue, but for carry I prefer Stainless
Amen.