The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 6, 2005, 08:05 PM   #1
butch50

Makarov in your pocket?

Does anyone carry a Mak in their pocket? If so which pocket, do you use a holster, which holster, etc....????

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 6, 2005, 08:08 PM   #2
quaint

Nope, for that much size & weight, 1911 variants

can be had, offering 2-3x the power of the 9x18 Makarov blowback.
Old July 6, 2005, 08:13 PM   #3
jonathon

You probably could, but it would be a bit big I imagine. Why not a pancake holster on the belt?

Maybe contact Eric @ HBE... he might have some ideas if you want to carry a Mak(which a lot of people do)

Quaint,

9mm Mak is a whole lot more effective than nothing(or a Lama), since most sub compact 1911's are quite pricey, and lack capacity.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old July 6, 2005, 08:15 PM   #4
grimjaw

Small guy, small pockets

I don't wear clothes with pockets large enough that it would fit, but it still seems a little large. I can't carry yet, but as soon as I'm legal, I'll carry it in a holster other than pocket.

jmm
Old July 6, 2005, 09:40 PM   #5
butch50

I ran across a reference to Makarov pocket holsters on a google Mak search - HBE I think - and it made me curious if anyone actually carries a Mak in their pocket. It would certainly be a handy thing to have in a pocket if it could be carried that way.

I tried just putting it in my front pocket without a holster and it is pretty big, and prints pretty strong. At least in the pair I had on. Cargo pants might work, but I don't wear those.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry
Old July 6, 2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Teakwood

I often use a pocket holster in my rear pocket to carry my Mak. The same holster works well for an interior pocket carry in a winter coat.
Old July 7, 2005, 09:44 AM   #7
sageowl

Well, I don't own a Mak ... I've tried to pocket my Kimber Ultra Carry II and there's just no way. On the other hand, I pocket-carry my Kahr PM9 on a daily basis as either a BUG or Rule-1 gun, depending on what I'm wearing, what I'm doing, et cetera. PM40 would also be an option outside of CA. I've found right front pocket to be the most workable for me, with the wallet in the front-left and then cell phone, keys, etc. on the waistline to balance out. Add a long t-shirt to cover most if not all of this (and your IWB/OWB gun) and good to go .
Old July 7, 2005, 12:56 PM   #8
Eric Larsen

HELL YES!!!!!!!
Sorry, but I do it all of the time. You need larger pockets....If you can carry a snub in pocket then a Mak isnt a problem. Yell if you need a pocket holster.....no worries.
Shoot well........

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old July 7, 2005, 01:05 PM   #9
ATW525

Coat pocket in the winter time... heck, I wouldn't buy a coat if it didn't have a good Mak pocket. I occassional drop it in a pants pocket, or even carry Mexican during the warmer times of the year.
Old July 7, 2005, 07:06 PM   #10
butch50

Eric: What kind of pocket holster do you use? Do you carry in a front pocket or back pocket? Details, I need details......

Old July 8, 2005, 09:48 AM   #11
Eric Larsen

Well.......I own HBE LeatherWorks.......so, .....MINE
You can see them on my website........no worries.
Shoot well........

Old July 8, 2005, 12:45 PM   #12
Duxman

Mak in Pocket....YES

When walking the dog, I usually carry the Mak in my rear pockets...cargo shorts. NP. 5'10, 185 Ibs. And I wear a jacket over that so no one can see the buldge at night.

During winter - front coat pocket. Easy carry.

Its a handy gun, just the right size of CC in my opinion.
Old July 8, 2005, 01:21 PM   #13
jem375

before I would carry a Mak in my pocket I would carry my AMT back-up 45ACP...it's smaller and more punch..........
Old July 8, 2005, 01:48 PM   #14
Eric Larsen

Jem good point.......but the treads about Mak pocket carry.
The 45 is great but the triggers arent great and arent as accurate as the Mak. Ive had 2 and 1 worked and 1 didnt. CCW's have to work and the Mak is as reliable as they get and is a better shooter for me.
Shoot well.

Last edited by Eric Larsen; July 8, 2005 at 08:25 PM.
Old July 10, 2005, 08:51 AM   #15
Richard

I am a nay sayer. Why? I feel the Mak is too heavy for pocket carry; I would instead buy a belt holster from Eric. I have two and they are great holsters. A note is this holster also works well with the Bersa 380. Regards, Richard

Old July 10, 2005, 10:22 AM   #16
butch50

Yesterday I carried a Mak in my front right pocket all day - at home and in public. I was wearing shorts that have pockets a bit larger than my usual dress pants. It was not a problem at all in those particular clothes, and very handy. I like the idea of being able to stand there casually with my hand actually wrapped around the grip if I want to. You can't do that with a hip holster.

Element of surprise is a big plus in any SD situation, and pocket carry certaily adds to that.

I ordered a Mak pocket holster from Eric yesterday. It won't work in all of my dress pants, but I am considering have the pocket altered in the ones that it won't work in. Anyone ever do that?

Old July 10, 2005, 11:43 AM   #17
yayarx7

i like to carry my Mak in my front pocket of my jeans, BDU's or kahkis. I currently use a super cheap Uncle Mikes pocket holster that does the job, I am looking for a holster that offers less printing and better stability. The gun can rotate a bit with the current setup.

The only problem is my front pocket is where I usally carry my wallet. It drives me nuts to move it to the rear pocket. IWB may be the way to go for me.

CLICK HERE!
Old July 10, 2005, 02:01 PM   #18
Eric Larsen

Shoot well..........

Old January 28, 2013, 08:38 PM   #19
Hurryin' Hoosier

I realize that this is an old thread but wanted to submit my vote for a Robert Mika pocket holster. My "Pistolet Makarova" works just fine for right-front pocket carry in cargo shorts and pants. (For jeans, I go with my S&W 637.)