The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 30, 2005, 07:08 PM   #1
Buzzkill

Any 24 inch 870s ?

Just found out that Ireland has a max limit of 24 inches of barrel on all shotguns . ****

Does anyone know if you can get an 870 in that lenght ?

IS 24 inches any way Tactical ?

Thanks
BOB
Old June 30, 2005, 08:09 PM   #2
9mmMike

The most common factory barrels that I've seen are 18", 20", 26", 28", and 30".
All the Remington's here at casa del 9mm are 20" rifle-sighted, 26" VR and one 28" plain bead on my '55 WM.
I think that Mossberg makes a Remington 870 barrel in 24" though.
The beauty of the 870 is it's versatility. Were I you, I'd get one with a 28" or 30" barrel for clay bustin' and add the aftermarket 24" barrel later.
I guess you could also have a longer barrel cut down and threaded for tubes if you've a handy shotgun smith thereabouts.
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old June 30, 2005, 09:19 PM   #3
sm

24" - limit - damn! I'm sorry to hear.

FWIW it has been concern of mine and others for years they would pull a stunt like that here in the States...like no civilians could have shorter bbls as LEO and Military ...meaning NO 18.5" or 20" bbls.

Hence the reason the 21" and 23" bbl set ups are being made up some of us folks...Bird Guns Seriously either length is one helluva of a versatile shotgun, for upland, turkey, deer or critters - no matter how many legs.

Less monies-

If I were were you, as I and others have tested. Find a 26" bbl and buy and aftermarket screw in choke like Briley, Carlson, Colonial- etc that gives you Modified or Imp cyl+ performance.

More monies-

If you find a old bbl that was damaged at muzzle, measure to 25" [ wherever the attachment for rib allow, give or take a bit. Have a qualified Gunsmith install the aftermarket screw in chokes with again MOD or IMP Cyl+.

That combo is awesome. That constriction has proven to group slugs, and buckshot pattern so much BETTER than the high dollar name brand folks selling " specialty packages".

There is a reason the English or Bird Guns made by Rem, Win, Ithaca are NEVER seen for sale.
Old July 1, 2005, 06:40 AM   #4
Buzzkill

Thanks guys .

The laws here are very vague its really annoying . Theres no limit on rifle barells . I could go out and buy a 18 inch .243 but i cant get an 18 inch shotgun .

I heard of one person wanting to get a licence for a spas 12 {semi automatic folding stock } for pheasant shooting

This country is very weird . Its kinda like you cant have ...... but you can have .

Thanks for the replys anyway . I think if i were to go to one id go for a 26 incher

THANKS
BOB