The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 18, 2005, 02:37 PM   #1
Big Yac

.500 Linebaugh

Where can one find a .500 Linebaugh and what gun models are made in .500 Linebaugh? I'd prefer to find one with a long barrel, like 9.5" or so. Can something like a Ruger SRH be made into one? Who would I send a gun to and have it be made into a .500 Linebaugh?
Old June 19, 2005, 04:16 AM   #2
Lloyd Smale

yes your redhawk can be made into a .500 Hamilton Bowen or Dave Clements will do it As far as single actions add John Linebaugh to the list. Ive owned and shot gun from all of them and they all do top shelf work. Your looking at aprox. $2000 and your gun to have one made.
Old June 19, 2005, 12:25 PM   #3
Big Yac

why is it that all thse big bore guns have short barrels? Most I see dont go over 5 - 7.5 inches. I like long barreled guns, like in the 9"+ range
Old June 20, 2005, 05:29 PM   #4
somerled

Those fellows can put a long barrel on one for you. It sure would be long to tote in the hunting fields.
Old June 20, 2005, 10:58 PM   #5
Big Yac

I dont know what it is with the long barrels. I just like the look of them more. Or do the really big bore revolvers get better ballistics from a shorter barrel?
Old June 21, 2005, 09:02 AM   #6
Jbar4Ranch

The original idea behind these big bruisers was a last ditch or backup weapon for dangerous game. The 5.5" barrel was/is simply for portability, but they'll put any length on one you want, up to 14" anyway.

SASS 47015
Old June 22, 2005, 05:44 PM   #7
TKR

My first post, but I got all excited when I saw that I though I knew something.
I believe the reason for the short barrels is that the larger calibers like 45 Colt, 475 and 500 Linebaugh do better from shorter barrels than do smaller calibers like the .44 mag. Larger diameter, heavier bullets just don't require the long tube to get the most useful velocity range. If you look at tests of the new S&W 500, there really isn't that much velocity loss from the 8 3/8" Bbl to the 4". One would expect a greater difference. Also, Hamilton Bowen and John Linebaugh believe in the most power from a portable package, as they feel long barrels are not as useful in the field from a portability standpoint,especially given that there is not all that much to be gained velocity wise. And you can learn to shoot the shorter barrels just as accurately as longer ones. Big bullets, not big guns.