The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2005, 03:28 PM   #1
tjhands

.41 Magnum brass?

Hey guys. I'm thinking about getting a .41 Magnum but would like to find a good source of 1X brass. My previous sources of brass don't offer any .41 Mag stuff. Ideas are appreciated!
Old June 15, 2005, 03:56 PM   #2
Mike Irwin
Staff

1X?

What is that?

Once fired?

I don't know of any sources for once fired, other than making them myself.
Old June 15, 2005, 04:30 PM   #3
tjhands

Mike, yeah, I mean once-fired brass. All of my .44 magnum brass was bought as "1X" even though some of it had obviously been reloaded a couple times at least.
I'd just as soon buy the brass separately and start experimenting with my own loads from the get-go, as opposed to buying factory rounds just to harvest the brass.
Shoot, even if I had a mind to buy factory ammo, I don't know where to go for .41 magnum (without having to order it online and pay up the butt for shipping etc). I know Wally World isn't gonna be stocking that caliber anytime soon.
Old June 15, 2005, 06:40 PM   #4
Mike Irwin
Staff

Gunshows. You can often buy either loaded ammunition or brass.

Starline Brass offers .41 Mag. 500 pieces for $62.

Midway often offers Starline brass in smaller quantities. In fact, .41 brass from Remington, Starline, etc.

Graf and Sons.
Old June 15, 2005, 09:24 PM   #5
m0ntels

I usually buy new Starline cuz once fired on ebay and gunbroker usually ends up going for very close to the same price

Randy
Old June 15, 2005, 09:38 PM   #6
MADISON

Once Fired .41 Magnum Brass?

I have had .41 Magnums since it first came out. At one time it was called "The .41 Remmington Magnum" and no other manufacturer would make brass for it or load it.
Once fired .41 Magnum brass is something you will not find!
MidwayUSA and Graf and Sons sell bulk brass
Old June 20, 2005, 06:14 PM   #7
Ben Shepherd

Just a warning--

I got a bunch of midway headstamped 41 brass and about 1/3 of it split the sides out on the first firing. Both guns are in spec. , the load wasn't "wild" by any means. Needless to say- No more of that brass for me.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor
Old June 21, 2005, 08:14 PM   #8
caz223

New Starline brass from midway is the only way to go.
Old June 22, 2005, 05:55 PM   #9
tjhands

Yes, caz, and that is what I did.

OMG, I have never SEEN such a shine! My girlfriend brought a wad of Kleenex out for me when she heard me "ooooo'ing and ahhhhhh'ing" after opening the box!!! LOL
Old June 23, 2005, 12:58 AM   #10
BillCA

TJ,

The best price I've found for on-line factory .41 Mag ammo is PMC ammo at Sportsmansguide.com.

WX2-51661 - PMC™ Pistol and Revolver .41 Rem.® Mag. 210 Gr. TC-SP
50 rds. is $17.77 per box. That's $3 cheaper than cheaper-than-dirt.
Old June 23, 2005, 09:04 PM   #11
TGC

Been playing with 41 mags most of my life. For sure go with the Starline new brass might check with natchez on pricing. Be careful with the PMC stuff one day the rep came by the shop and just happen to have a case of 41 mags. he had picked up from someone and offered me a good price on them of course I bought them shot them up and went to load them just now i do not remember the powder or amount but Ido remember that I was duplicating the old police load with a lead bullet. Well everyone case cracked no it was not a gun problem I was shootingthemin 4 different guns. The same load in some old Rem. brass did just fine. Have fun and be safe enjoy a great caliber. Tom (TGC)
Old June 27, 2005, 03:56 PM   #12
dakotashooter2

Usually pick up new at the gunshows. Was going to buy 500 from one of the three reloading supply vendors at the local show last spring and NONE of the vendors showed up. Once fired, if you can find it, is usually as hig as new once shipping is added. Do you have a Cabela's nearbuy. See if they will order it into the store. I have done this a couple of times and saved the shipping cost.