The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 12, 2005, 05:58 AM   #1
witness10mm5

Taurus Pt 100 Afs Or Smith And Wesson Sw99

PT 100 AFS OR SMITH AND WESSON SW99
Hi folks. I'm humbly asking for your assistance. First on your knowledge of both these Guns, and experiences and lastly which one would you select between the both of them and why? I have heard pro's and con's on both but before I go and spend money, i want my fellow gun lovers to please help, these are the 2 I determined to get in 40 sw. PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old June 12, 2005, 06:19 AM   #2
Seraph

Without doubt, the Taurus PT-100. If you've handled or fired both, you already know why. The Beretta/Taurus just plain kicks the S&W's ass, ergonomically.
Old June 12, 2005, 07:37 AM   #3
N.H. Yankee

The SW99 I owned was the biggest piece of S#!T ever, the recoil spring was rubbing on the barrel and after 200 rounds was almost 25% gone. When I first got the gun I noticed it after 50 rounds and the shop sent it back to S&W, all they did was replace the spring and the same problem, after 200 rounds I brought it back for refund, also the gun wasnt all that accurate and did jam a few times. I own a PT99 9mm and it is outstanding, accuracy is better than the Beretta I had and it has been 100% reliable with all ammo feeding everything I have used including reloads and Speer 124gr flatpoint JHP.
Old June 12, 2005, 11:16 AM   #4
chaim

I haven't owned either so this is based on solely reputation and internet lore, but I'd be happy with either. In fact I do plan to eventually own the SW99 or Walther P99 (basically the same gun) and I do plan to own a Taurus PT92 (9mm version).

I would say what you plan to use them for should be the deciding factor.

The aluminum alloy PT100 is a big gun. It is the same size as the Beretta 92 and 96. If you plan to carry this probably isn't the gun. The weight isn't bad for a full-sized gun (due to the aluminum alloy) but it is big, and it is heavier than the polymer SW99. For range only it is a great gun.

The SW99 is also full-size but it is polymer. I have noticed that polymer guns tend to be a bit more compact than steel or aluminum guns in the same catagory, and it is certainly a few oz lighter. It would probably be better than the Taurus if carry is one of your intended uses. Being full-size it should also be great at the range, though the PT100 being a few oz heavier would probably soak up a little more recoil.

If carry is one of your uses definately go with the SW99, if it is a range gun only either gun should work great. However, the Taurus closer to the SW99 would be the 24/7 as both are polymer service autos. It seems to me that the PT140 and SW99 are like apples to oranges. What made you decide to pick these particular guns?
Old June 12, 2005, 11:41 AM   #5
yayarx7

About the only things these guns have in common are the fact that they are handguns in 40S&W. The Taurus is big, I mean a full size hand gun. The SW99 is smaller in every dimension. The Taurus is a hammer and safety conventional double action while the SW99 is a new generation polymer and striker fired external saftyless design.

I say shoot both and pick the one that fits you best and buy it. Then buy the other one.

CLICK HERE!