Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 7, 2005, 09:45 PM   #26
Pointer

CarbineCaleb

Too scary for me!

I'd rather be called a pansy!
Old June 7, 2005, 10:16 PM   #27
Lawyer Daggit

I have shot most of the wild pig I have shot with a Remington Model 7 in .222- it is a favourite walk about rifle and it has been what I have had on me when the chance has arisen. Needless to say with a light calibre like that bullet placement is everything and I would not take a running shot.

I have shot a lot of others with 7.62x39 and 350 Rem Mag.

Obviously the 350 is the best killer, but your .308 is fine. Infact a 130 gr load marketed as 'feral fix' in Australia is essentially what most government departments here use on pig.
Old June 8, 2005, 06:11 AM   #28
Unclenick
Staff

This thread has an interesting array of equipment mentioned. I've never hunted hog, but have read on another thread that those Inuit living in Greenland favor getting very close with .223 and shooting bears behind the ear. They think we're all nuts to use chew up meat with heavy calibers.

On the other hand, I like chewing up meat if it speeds up the kill, and have never heard they have wild boar in Greenland. So, I was wondering whether, if light and whalloping is the most desirable equipment, has anyone here tried one of the 45-70 guide gun variants on hogs?

Nick
Old June 8, 2005, 07:19 AM   #29
Superhornet

Wow!! I guess I have been very lucky not to get attacked and eaten by these terrible hogs....I say lucky because I did not know any better and hunted those hogs with an old thirty-thirty and a Hornady 170 grain bullet...even though I have killed many I will never do that again...Am in need of a good hog rifle now...does anyone have a .416 Rigby for sale.........???
Old June 8, 2005, 09:36 AM   #30
mathman

Quote:
Wow!! I guess I have been very lucky not to get attacked and eaten by these terrible hogs....I say lucky because I did not know any better and hunted those hogs with an old thirty-thirty and a Hornady 170 grain bullet...even though I have killed many I will never do that again...Am in need of a good hog rifle now...does anyone have a .416 Rigby for sale.........???
nice...lol...
Old June 11, 2005, 11:59 PM   #31
Fat White Boy

My friend and I both use .270's and have taken hogs up to 200 pounds using Corelokt 130 gr stock ammo. They drop dead, right now and the rounds have always gone clean through. I have only had one hog, a sow of about 150 lbs, run after I shot it from 200 yds, and just starting to run. It got about 100 yds. When I went to clean it, all that was left inside was the heart and half of one lung. These animals are as tough as advertised so as everyone else says, place your shot carefully...
Old June 12, 2005, 12:01 AM   #32
Fat White Boy

Mathman- Heavy bullets are good. .30-30 is good. Heavy bullet+.30-30= Way good!
Old June 12, 2005, 12:51 AM   #33
cosmolinelover

Well Trigger.... it sounds to me like "its out of your hands" and you must purchase a .300 winchester mag out of necessity. I find that the issue of whether or not I should buy a gun is often "out of my hands" as soon as I find an outlandish excuse for myself to by one. Hell, I've bought guns simply because they were so cheap I figured "I'd be a fool not to" and then I succeeded in firing them once and just addin them to vault to be forgotten about.

If you ask me trigger, you'd be a fool not to buy one.
Old June 12, 2005, 06:06 PM   #34
Mannlicher

Hogs can be hard to put down, and keep down.
I have used a 30-30 more than anything on hogs. I find my handloaded Speer 170 gr FT to be satisfactory. I also use a .44 Mag marlin 1894, and on my last hunt, a SOCOM in .308 Win. These all work well for me.
I have to say, that hogs are darn tough. I also use a Winchester Model 70 in .458 Win Mag, with 400 gr SP at times. Even with this rifle, I have seen hogs run and run after taking a good hit.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old June 12, 2005, 06:21 PM   #35
texagun

"By the way, an ex-Navy Seal and a tired old Green Beret I know, and their friends, hunt them with large hunting KNIVES (The $200 + variety).
They hunt with pit-bull dogs and when the dogs distract the "pig" they jump on his back and cut his throat... Go figure!"

Just a second.....I need to put my boots on.....OK, I'm ready, tell me some more stories.
Old June 13, 2005, 01:30 PM   #36
essexcounty

I have never shot a Texas hog, but I've been a guest on a few Maverick County hunts and I have two memoies. Number one the size of the hogs. Number two is how effective the 30-30 can be.....Essex County
Old June 13, 2005, 09:49 PM   #37
45Dana

Location: California currently but relocating to southern Idaho soon!
Being a traditionalist, I shoot big bore rifles and pistols. I do not enjoy high velocity rifles that shoot for miles and render a ton of meat inedible. I use a 45.70 frequently, a 375 H&H a lot as well. I have seen and taken large pigs with a 270 Win. that dropped like Thors hammer hit them. It is not rifle as much as it is the shooter. As one of the respondents replied, he used a 45 Colt. Many people use 44 Mags. as well. The 300 Win. mag as a suggested round is nothing but stupid. Be a hunter. A large bore, slow moving bullet will kill anything on the planet very effectively. Your 308 is more than enough to do the job. Hell, Jack Conner, shot the big five African trophy's with a 270.
Old June 26, 2005, 09:07 AM   #38
trigger45

dude

:barf: the guy that said my .308 was too small showed up with a "cetme" and said he traded his .450marlin for it!!!!!!!! give me a break!!!!! :barf:
dude Im glad I didnt believe him. still would like to have a 7mm rem mag. but thanks for giving me a shovel and a good pair of rubber boots!!!
Old June 26, 2005, 10:04 AM   #39
Nio

I went spear hunting for boar once...

And I don't think I'd go boar hunting again with anything less than a bazooka. But...that's just me...

Nio
Old June 26, 2005, 10:24 AM   #40
Long Path

Heh. Maybe it is too light. Perhaps all those who keep killing hog with .308s are lucky. Consistently.

My preference is a good 180g load (such as the FailSafe), on the few occasions I've hunted hog with a .308. Funny, but no one ever questioned my use of an '06 for hog. I guess ~100 fps really makes all the difference, huh?

Say, don't be alarmed-- I'm kicking this thread over to The Hunt, where it belongs.
Old June 27, 2005, 04:22 PM   #41
wayneinFL

Quote:
"By the way, an ex-Navy Seal and a tired old Green Beret I know, and their friends, hunt them with large hunting KNIVES (The $200 + variety).
They hunt with pit-bull dogs and when the dogs distract the "pig" they jump on his back and cut his throat... Go figure!"

Just a second.....I need to put my boots on.....OK, I'm ready, tell me some more stories.
Thev ex-Navy SEAL and green beret thing may be B.S., but I believe the rest of it. There are plenty of guys around here who hunt with dogs, and they usually have the dogs bay the pig, then a guy jumps on it with a knife. A couple of guys I work with have tried to get me to go with them. They'll cut its throat with a knife, but they usually carry a glock or 357 for backup. FWIW pigs they've brought back have been as big as 250#.

Jumping on a pig with a knife is not my kind of thing. Besides, these guys have been in trouble for poaching before (knives are quieter?) and that's not my kind of thing either.

Somebody I trust a little better may talk me a dog hunt some day, but I think I'll take my spear.

Some of the farmers around here will catch them live. I'm not sure how. From what I understand, the reason they take them live is to bleed them, then feed them like a domestic pig, and it gets rid of the gamey taste.
Old June 27, 2005, 05:06 PM   #42
kingudaroad

Quote:
From what I understand, the reason they take them live is to bleed them, then feed them like a domestic pig, and it gets rid of the gamey taste.
Wow those pigs without any blood must get hungry! I've shot about a dozen hogs while deer/ hog hunting with federal 270 130 grain nosler ballistic tip. every one dropped in its tracks. I dont remember trying any head shots,mostly behind the shoulder low.
Old June 27, 2005, 05:20 PM   #43
dale taylor

I lve in Fl and have taken many many hogs. They will run a ways with 308 in chest. That is however over kill. My favorite is 6.5x55 swede. 243 is light. In swamp 357 or 45 is good. Hog hunting is fun!! daleltaylor@att.net
Old June 30, 2005, 10:59 AM   #44
Boarhunter

People:

Perhaps you guys will not mind too much if I throw in my two-cents worth.

First, if you care to take a look at another, lengthy thread addressing this very issue, take a look at www.falfiles.com and "click" along the following trail:The FAL Files Forums » Discussion Forums » General Firearms Discussion » Russian Boar (and feral pig) Guns. Fairly entertaining and enlightening discussion.

To date, I have killed two large Russian hogs and one fairly large Razorback in Tennessee, and have personally observed another approximately 25 similar animals killed by my buddies. There is no question but that these are tough animals to bring down, and potentially dangerous if you take a poor shot. But from my experience, I have no doubt but that a .308, reasonably placed, will do the job, particularly if you follow hog shooting tradition and shoot, and continue shooting, until the hog is dead. There is no place for "admiring" the first shot, 'cause that may get you a quick trip to the emergency room.

Having lauded the .308, I personally have never used one to take a hog (but have seen it used with great success many, many times). Personally, my preference is for the big-bores, but that is because I like the big-bores for all my shooting. And I have never been enamored with bolt guns.

My first Russian boar was killed with a Marlin Guide Gun in .45/70. I was shooting a Remington 405 grain jacketed soft point (handload) at about 1500 fps. A fine combination. One dead 325 pound Taliban hog head on the wall.

My second Russian boar was killed with a Magnum Research BFR revolver in .45/70 using the same load as above, but traveling at approximately 1350 fps. Again, a very fine combination. For those of you not familiar with the BFR, you need to get on the Magnum Research web page and take a look for yourself. As nicely made a production handgun as comes down the pike. And at a price that will not permanently break the budget. And different from the 500 Smith, the BFR .45/70 handles well and is not too heavy to carry in the woods. In addition, recoil of this weapon is far more a "push" like a black powder load (unlike the Smith 500, which is like hitting the palm of your hand with a ball peen hammer...I owned one of those only long enough to run 20 rounds through it at the range).

The final hog, a Razorback, was taken with a scandium .44 mag Smith revolver; the first shot (through and through) was at the hog running at about 20 yards, and the finishing shot came a few minutes later at about 10 yards after the dogs brought him to bay. The heavy .44 mag load pushing a Hornady 240 xtp performed just fine.

Where we hunt in Tennessee, the terrain is rough and the woods thick, the hogs are generally moving, and the shots are taken close and quick. Any of the combinations above work just fine under those circumstances.

But in answer to the question whether a .308 will get the job done... no question in my mind but that it will. For what it is worth.

Boarhunter
Old June 30, 2005, 12:49 PM   #45
solvability

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showt...0&pagenumber=1

I took a look at Boarhunters post on the other forum - worth a look.
Old June 30, 2005, 02:53 PM   #46
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Yup, the .308 can handily take down a hog...even a big one. I know, 'cuz I've seen me do it. I've also seen me fail to do it.

The issue is at the "margins". If presented with a follow-up "Texas Heart Shot" on a hog, I'll take it with anything I'm carrying.....but I'm not too hopeful about the results from the .308. Same with a frontal shot. Is it "enough gun" for hog? I think so; Is it the "ideal gun"? I don't think so, unless your hunting over a feeder; If that's what I owned, would it require me to get a new wiz-bang smoke pole from hell? Absolutely not.

As so many here have pointed out, shot placement requirements vary inversely with caliber. Still a 45-70 placed slightly off is certainly less efficient than a 180 gr .308 placed perfectly. But it's the issue of how many people report "perfect" placement that always raises my eyebrows.

Either they're hunting over feeders or from blinds or they're truly World Class ...or something else. Perfect example: in the other thread cited, airbiscuit took two hogs at 125 yards 5 seconds apart. First one took one in the head.....OK, I'll buy it. The eyebrow raiser is the second shot, 5 seconds later....the classic, perfect neck shot. Anybody note a factual conflict here?....like either it was tied down, deaf, domestic or RUNNING at the sound of the First shot.

I'll take him at his word that it was wild hog. Therefore, he did a perfect neck shot with a rifle on a running hog at 125 yards. I call that World Class.....or something else.

Moral of the story:
The .308 will do the job. But, if your placement is not perfect with that or any gun, make certain you report THAT story along with all your "one shot kills". Nobody looses an audience quicker than a hunter who never misses.
Rich
Old June 30, 2005, 03:44 PM   #47
solvability

A friend suggested I post on this since I had used a 30-06 on my last hunt and assumed it would be the same as a .308 - this was my response:

Actually, I used 180 grain from my 06 and it punched right through the shoulder and exited nicely - out near Saturn's moons I think about now. None of my 308s will group with 180 grain bullets - do not know why unless it is the twist. One guy on the hunt shot a pig in the shoulder with a 308 in 150 grain - Nosler bullet - the pig swapped ends and started running and even with dogs they never found it - doubt it would have been different with an 06 but I think the 180 has more punch and of course your 405s from the 45-70 even more - sometimes the margin matters.

I think the angle of the shot, the weight of the bullet and its construction as well as the depth of the gristle plate on the hog that is hit all make a difference - my thought is and was - rather have a bit too much than just not enough - even so I would use a 308 with a well made 150 grain bullet - I think penetration is more important than expansion on hogs - the bone if struck will provide all the shrapnel that you need to stop the hog. That is my limited experience and I hope and intend to have many more.
Old July 1, 2005, 10:37 AM   #48
Boarhunter

Rich Lucibella,

I find no criticism in your analysis and your suggestions.

Will a .308 work? Certainly, assuming an appropriate bullet is used. Are there more effective cartridges (or better stated, are there cartridges more effective over a broader range of circumstances)? Certainly.

For hunting large wild pig, "better" equates to large caliber cartridge with heavy, tough-constructed bullet designed to maximize penetration. It is not an easy task to penetrate the gristle plate and heavy bones protecting a boar's vitals, even without considering the occasional, sometimes necessary, Texas heart shot. For me, the 45/70, particularly in a warm reloaded format, is as close to ideal as it gets, regardless whether fired from a carbine or a Magnum Research BFR.

Both Russian boar personally taken with the 45/70 were frontal shots, and penetration was more than impressive and effective. I would not have been as confident in those shots were I shooting a "lesser" cartridge, particularly if the bullet were of less than ideal construction. But then again, I am toying with using an AK in the fall, firing the 7.62x39. And my guess is that I will be successful when I do. But it would not be the "ideal" cartridge for hog hunting.

Which gets us to the issue of shot placement.

One would think that a 12 gauge shotgun firing slugs would guarantee one-shot kills on even the largest of Russian hogs, but that is not always the case. It took 5 shots, 45 minutes, and a handful of good dogs to bring down a Russian boar on one trip, because the shooter's shot placement was not particularly good...the first shot took out one of the hog's front legs (only), and the chase was on. Nope, that was not me doing the shooting. But it demonstrates that shot placement is critical, regardless the weapon/caliber selected.

Boarhunter
Old July 2, 2005, 07:17 AM   #49
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Quote:
For me, the 45/70, particularly in a warm reloaded format, is as close to ideal as it gets
Never thought I'd see me do this but.....
+1

BH-
We're on the same page. I don't think .308 is "ideal" for hog. But if you own a .308 I see no need to buy another gun just for hog.....unless you want another gun. Bottom line, if I could own only one rifle in standard bolt action, it'd probably be a .308.
Rich
Old July 7, 2005, 04:28 AM   #50
Benonymous

Goood piggy.....goood piggy!

Just to add another story of pig shooting. A friend of mine who is a very seasoned hunter and specialises in pigs here in Australia shoots mostly with a marlin 30.30. He has an old 6-8X (I think) scope on it. He has bagged some impressive animals with this rig but he is a real "old school" hunter. No moonshots for him, he stalks his quarry and takes his shot from the closest possible range.

He bagged a nice little boar on his last hunt, offhand, running with his 22.250 Tikka with a Leupold scope, not sure of the mag, up to 24 I think. If you didn't know this guy you'd say "lucky shot!" With the 22.250 he always places his shot behind the ear (his particular shot wasn't behind the ear, it was a neck shot on a non-trophy sized boar) He told me this as I was admiring a big boar head on his wall (he does the taxidermy himself too) and sure enough, upon examination, the hole was there.

This was a trophy boar too not an adolescent. The trophy wan't moving when shot BTW and he got it with the 30.30.

Anyway, the lesson is that its the stalk that gets you in a position to make a clean kill with a smaller caliber. I think a hog would be gone no problems if my friend was shooting a .308!

He is planning to get a .308 to take on his 'round Australia trip next year. He really wants to tip over a Water Buffalo, I was trying to talk him into a .338 Lapua but he said "nah! the 308 will be enough"

Last edited by Benonymous; July 7, 2005 at 05:34 AM.