The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 5, 2005, 10:42 PM   #1
Kayser

Loading .44 magnum for an auto.

I've set my sights on .44 magnum as my next reloading venture. I've got a Desert Eagle which I just ordered a .44 mag barrel for. I figure this'll really kick the per-round savings into high gear.

Anyways, I've got a few questions. First, I'm looking at Win 296 as a powder, since it seems to have the widest range of loads on all the Hornady charts. Probably 265 gr bullets as well. Does this sound like a reasonable starter load, or should I be setting my sights higher?

Most reloading info you find is revolver related, so I'm wondering what I should be aware of reloading for the big auto. Should I be using one crimp type over another (Lee has a nice 4 die set with taper crimp I've got my eyes on)? Should I crimp a little tougher than normal?

Any other general advice for this reloading venture?
Old June 5, 2005, 10:48 PM   #2
Edward429451

Don't overdo the ROLL crimp. It's still a revolver cartridge and headspaces on the rim, even in the SA DE.

Lee's factory crimp die would shine here, its not taper crimp.
Old June 5, 2005, 11:33 PM   #3
AustinMike

My .44 Desert Eagle load is a 240gr. XTP over 24gr. of H110, Federal magnum primer, heavy crimp. Very accurate and never fails to function.
Old June 5, 2005, 11:46 PM   #4
Kayser

Mike - taper or roll crimp?
Old June 5, 2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Kamicosmos

My .357 DE I roll crimp. Never really thought about it. 158 grain over 15.5 grains of H110.

A friend has a .50 and a .44 DE. He loads 240 grain bullet over 23 or 24 grains of H110, pretty sure it's a roll crimp too.

Big thing to watch for on the DE is use a thick jacketed bullet. The cheaper plated bullets like Rainers or Berrys won't work well. The velocity and polygonal rifling strip through the thin plating, and you'l start leading fast, which could turn your gun into an expensive single shot. I know, I almost did it to my Mark I!!

-- Major Motoko Kusanagi GitS:SAC

Member of NRA and Western Missouri Shooters Alliance
Old June 6, 2005, 07:37 AM   #6
AustinMike

Kayser, I use a roll crimp. I'm using RCBS dies and I seat/crimp at the same time. I always crimp my semi-auto cartridges separately, but I've never had trouble doing "revolver" cartridges in one operation. You can't go wrong crimping separately with the Lee factory crimp die, as previously mentioned.

One other tip...try using some Slide Glide to lube up the Eagle. It will operate smoother and it makes cleanup a breeze. I used to have to lay into my slide with a brush around the piston chamber to get all the baked on crud off. Now, I just wipe off the old grease with a paper towel, then use a couple shots of Gun Scrubber to blast away any remaining residue. The crud comes off with the old grease. Apply the grease liberally to the slide rails, recoil springs and channel, etc. Basically, anywhere metal moves against metal. Great stuff! Pick up a tub at http://www.brianenos.com/ .
Old June 7, 2005, 07:19 AM   #7
LAH

Was the Desert Eagle made in 45 Colt?