The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 3, 2005, 02:38 PM   #26
boofus

Take it and bring it to one of those gun buy-back schemes and sell it for $50 for more ammo to feed one of your real guns.
Old June 3, 2005, 06:42 PM   #27
Sum1_Special

standard issue, do what you want with the gun. if it shoots fine keep it for a kit gun, if not polish it up or get rid of it. i am happy with what i paid for my sns, i think they were worth the money. bought them all from pawn shops and friends for under 50 bucks each .

i am not looking for an argument but i just cant resist!

Quote:
<Lord forgive him for he is young and he's never experienced a hang fire, a mis fire or a broken piece of equipment - otherwise he never would have posted such tripe>
hal, i have been been shooting and owning surplus rifles & pistols ever since i was a little kid. all shot with 20+ year old surplus ammunition. i have experienced a countless number of hangfires and quite a few squibs, with good quality commercial ammo i have never, ever had a hangfire in any weapon ever. i have had a few mis-fires but that was if the gun was dropped or damaged, other than that the gun would always fire with a round properly seated in the chamber, even the sns.

Quote:
don't think RGs are all that funny.

Seriously, any gun you buy may end up being your self defense gun. When you need a gun, you go for the closest one at hand. If you keep all your Colts and Smiths in the safe, but the RG as a paperweight on your desk, there is a very good chance that RG will become your self defense gun. (assuming you don't have a 12 gauge in the closet of course).
your right, RGs are not that funny, but they sure are fun . its a great pleasure hearing the gun go bang for the first time knowing you spent $20 on it. i carry it in the woods sometimes. at close range it would be just as good any other .22 caliber revolver, as long as it goes bang everytime. XavierBreath, you are right that it might be used as self defense if it was a paperweight on your desk, but what would be laying there if you never bought the gun in the first place? i keep most of the good guns locked up. its better than nothing .

Quote:
Nonsense! Just put some Dremel to it.

Not all Dremel bits will actually chamber nor fit in the magazine, but hey, can't really be that picky.

Dremel. Romanian ammo. My favorite corrosive.
ok smart ass, explain to how i made ever gun i own 99.9% reliable?
Old June 3, 2005, 07:36 PM   #28
pamick

Methinks Sum1_Special may own a pawn shop and dremel.
Old June 3, 2005, 08:19 PM   #29
jonathon

I agree..

theres no way you can make a jennings even 80% reliable.. unless you machine all new parts for it, and change a few things
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old June 3, 2005, 08:43 PM   #30
Sum1_Special

why not? most of these small caliber semi auto sns were modeled after the baby browning.

the action seems to be the same.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:14 AM   #31
Hal

Quote:
hal, i have been been shooting and owning surplus rifles & pistols ever since i was a little kid.
So a month or so of shooting and owning is a decent cross section to sample from?
Old June 4, 2005, 07:22 AM   #32
Sum1_Special

no, 20+ years.

hearing you talk about these saturday night specials leads me to believe you had never fired one. i used to be a big collector of these cheap weapons, but have sold them all before i moved to georgia about 10-15 years ago, i have started my collection again early 2005. i know what they can and can't do, and i can't stand to see them so under estimated and disrespected. criminals have proven they can kill, i do not know from where you base your claim that they are so useless.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:36 AM   #33
Hal

Shift key.
Him makes little letters big.

Sumpthin but the punctuation here is mighty familier.....

Whatever - I'm outta here. Enjoy your junk guns.

BTW - yes - I own a few junkers myself. FIE - Raven - H&R- Davies.
Pure junk. I enjoy them. I just don't push them or try to pass them off as something they aren't.
Old June 4, 2005, 07:42 AM   #34
Sum1_Special

you have got to be kidding me?

i had no idea i was writing a paper for english class.

Quote:
BTW - yes - I own a few junkers myself. FIE - Raven - H&R- Davies.
Pure junk. I enjoy them. I just don't push them or try to pass them off as something they aren't.
i am glad we agree on something. most of mine hardly ever leave the drawer.
Old June 4, 2005, 08:30 AM   #35
Jehzsa

"...mine hardly ever leave the drawer."

As paperweights in the drawer?
Old June 4, 2005, 04:30 PM   #36
Mannlicher

Even if free, its no bargin. Bad things happen to people who use those guns.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old July 24, 2008, 11:11 AM   #37
AL1916

Bryco/Jennings .32

New to this forum, but I want to put my 2 cents in. I picked up a Bryco Mod 38, 32 cal at local auction. Didn't know much about them at all. Looked alot like a Raven, so I knew it was cheap. Also I didn't appreciate 32 cal all the much either. But I did buy it, took it to the indoor range and put a target out to about 5 yards or so. Chambered a round, and yes it goes "bang". It did every time, jumped in my hand a bit, but fired all the rounds. Its small, easy to conceal and if you happen to loose it, So What? Mine came with the box, 2 mags and instructions. Its hard to disassemble for sure, but not that hard to clean, just wipe it off. Paper-weight, ok, if you want, but mine shoots. SD no, but if its all you got. Ammo is quite expensive though. I'd stick with my 9mm or 40. But honestly though it ain't that bad that I'd just scrap it in a bucket of concrete. Unless it blows up in my hand. I treat ALL weapons as potential lethal items. Even a Bryco. YES it can hurt you, even Kill. And if its free, go for it, mine makes noise. Do you plan on running over it in a truck?
Old July 24, 2008, 11:33 AM   #38
dairycreek

Bryco...really that bad?
ABSOLUTELY

GOOD SHOOTING
Old July 24, 2008, 12:07 PM   #39
daveydoo

agree with the buy back program. Phx had one and traded in a davis 32 for a 100 gift card to bashas. Eddie Bashas is a big liberal and funded this buy back. So he and the city has my junk and I am eating steak...Wiskey Tango Foxtrot. By the way most guns being traded in were zinc crap and junk pistols. The guy behind me had a pistol in a bag (all in pieces).
Old July 24, 2008, 02:08 PM   #40
williek69

BRYCO: Definately not made for big hands!

I bought the .380 model new for $109 with the idea it might be used as a boot gun. I didn't have to fire it more than one magazines' worth to realize it had to go!
Every time I pulled the trigger the damn thing took a small bite out of the webbing between my thumb and first finger.
I just wrote it off as not fitting my hand well, but to its credit, it did fire every time I pulled the trigger......
I traded it away soon thereafter and I think in retrospect, that is the most satisfied I've ever been to see a gun go bye-bye.

I don't think I'll be buying another BRYCO gun in the future either.:barf:
Old July 24, 2008, 06:07 PM   #41
cjw3cma

Worst than a Taurus? Just had to say that.
Old July 24, 2008, 06:30 PM   #42
bojack2575

Bryco Arms and Jennings Firearms
Bryco Arms was one of the Ring of Fire manufacturers of so-called Saturday night special firearms that operated in and around Los Angeles, California, all of which were descendants in some way from George Jennings' Raven Arms. It produced firearms variously branded as Jennings Firearms at its Irvine, California facility, as well as under the brand name of Bryco Arms at its former Carson City, Nevada facility, and at its Costa Mesa, California facility.

Bryco Arms declared bankruptcy in 2003 as a result of losing a lawsuit filed in Oakland, California and which resulted in a jury award of a record $24 million judgment against Bryco Arms. The lawsuit stemmed from an injury to a then 7-year old boy named Brandon Maxfield received from a 12-year old who was attempting to unload the 380 ACP version of the Bryco Arms Model 38. The 12 year old pulled the trigger with a round still in the gun while it was pointed at Maxfield. The ensuing negligent discharge paralyzed Brandon Maxfield from the neck down.
Old July 24, 2008, 06:37 PM   #43
packa45

That's a horrible story and I feel sorry for the families. I don't however think it's the manufacturers fault but the guardians of those children. If they had access to a loaded firearm and the trigger was pulled while pointed at the other then that's not a defect in the design. It should have been unloaded and locked up or at least locked up. Not that I'm sad Bryco is out of business but if that can happen to them what's to say it can't happen to other more reputable gun makers? You often hear of horrible gun accidents like this but rarely is the blame assessed to those truly responsible. On the flip side it's rare, unless you are in "our" circle, to hear about how responsible gun owners saved their own or others lives because they were armed.

Don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns.
Old July 24, 2008, 06:58 PM   #44
bojack2575

I totally agree with you, I just posted that to give some insight on Bryco arms and there downfall (other than the crappy guns)

I don't think they were responsible for the accident. It seems people always want to point the finger at some one else and it gives some scumbag lawyer a chance to make a quick buck.:barf:
Old July 24, 2008, 07:03 PM   #45
Stiofan

Most of these guns were manufactured in Southern California. There they were know as deadly firearms. As a matter of fact, the rep was there was an even chance it would either kill the gas station attendant is was pointed at who was being robbed or the person shooting it.

They are a joke, and they are dangerous. Check out the second post in this thread, these stories abound about these cheap guns. http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=344714

My hands and eyesight is too precious to trust to such junk. If that makes me a snob, so be it.
Old July 24, 2008, 07:10 PM   #46
packa45

Quote:
Most of these guns were manufactured in Southern California. There they were know as deadly firearms. As a matter of fact, the rep was there was an even chance it would either kill the gas station attendant is was pointed at who was being robbed or the person shooting it.

They are a joke, and they are dangerous. Check out the second post in this thread, these stories abound about these cheap guns.
All firearms can be deadly though...regardless of price. A $3000 custom 1911 stolen from a home invasion can kill a gas station attendant just as easily as a Bryco. The thing is there are more of the cheap guns out there because of price. Can you really blame a corporation for supplying the demand of a cheap gun in a capitalist economy? I don't think so. Do you think they intended to make those guns so they could be sold on the street for crime? I doubt that. They obviously don't have to prove intent or negligence in civil court though. The negligence goes to those parents. I guess in California if you draw a liberal judge who would rather see guns in only the hands of military and law enforcement you can get a ruling like this one.

Old July 24, 2008, 08:16 PM   #47
45_Shooter

Quote:
Can you really blame a corporation for supplying the demand of a cheap gun in a capitalist economy? I don't think so. Do you think they intended to make those guns so they could be sold on the street for crime? I doubt that.
A company that sells a product that is built to only withstand a very limited number of rounds, and function poorly at that. I don't think firearms should be owned by anyone who does not have the discipline to learn, train, and become familiar with them, and it should be required if such a thing could be.

The saturday night specials obviously serve the bottom end of the market, which consists of many who are fairly ignorant and unfamiliar about firearms. But, even if they want to become familiar after the purchase (they should), they aren't able to because the gun probably doesn't function correctly, might not be safe, and can't withstand the number of rounds it takes to train properly or possibly even learn to be safe with it.

This makes these pistols marketed to either people who shouldn't really own firearms in the first place (nothing to do with finances, everything to do with training and safety with firearms), or flat out criminals.
Old July 24, 2008, 08:26 PM   #48
packa45

I can see your points and somewhat agree. We're not talking about toys here though we are talking about firearms. It's up to the government to enforce restrictions that are meaningful and that combat those issues. For the judicial branch to penalize a company for operating within those laws because their product was misused and negligently handled is flat out wrong IMO. They are trying to make the big bucks with using cheap parts in a capitalist economy and maximize profit margins just like all the others. Are we gonna see a run on lawsuits against Microsoft because someone got a virus on their computer? Did they cut corners to secure the OS to maximize profit? yep. It's ultimately up to the end user though when dealing with a product than can cause death and injury to keep themselves and others safe providing the maker hasn't been negligent in the design.

Maybe that's what you are saying though. That bryco was negligent in the materials they used. If that's the case then I believe it's still up to a government regulatory agency(don't we have the ATF?) to put a stranglehold on them and halt sales until it's fixed. Personally I own a Bryco .380 and while it may be a piece of junk that's impossible to field strip it has been reliable(I promise you, no kidding aside the thing feeds rounds) and hasn't fallen apart in my hand after over a thousand rounds.

Old July 24, 2008, 08:36 PM   #49
jeo556

YES!!!

Aside from the circumstances in which you are going to aquire this gun I can only talk of my personal knowledge. My buddy had one and in the life of the pistol it only fired more than one round consecutively, twice. Seriously, the pistol jammed on every single round. Maybe others are more reliable but after seeing that I'd tack weld the slide shut and use it as a paper weight in the office. At least then it would make a good conversation piece.

Jeo556
Old July 25, 2008, 06:50 AM   #50
Cliff47

It's not that these pistols are all that bad, they are just not that good. Unless you need fodder for a turn-in, don't bet your hide on one.

I have one for just such an occasion (not a Jennings/Bryco/Lorcin, but close). I would not trust the thing to stay together at a range under controlled conditions, let alone under a stressful situation.
Closed Thread