The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 30, 2005, 02:44 PM   #1
robsroost

golden west .308 FMJ bullets

greetings , has anyone tried the golden west FMJ bullets that are advertised in the shotgun news for the .308 prices seem too good to be true ,how is the quality for highpower shooting , please post a reply , rob
Old May 31, 2005, 07:16 PM   #2
freddyp

Rob,
I tried them once and was not impressed with the rifle bullets. The pistol bullets were just as good as Winchester or Remington bulk, and I would by more in the future. The problem with the rifle bullets is that the jacket is not concentric (one side thicker than the other). Not a big problem with pistol bullets, but the smaller you go, the bigger the problem affects accuracy. Since I live in So. Calif, I drove down there and visited the plant. It was not very big and it was full of old Norinco machines from China. I meet with the owner and during my visit, he gave me samples of his bullet jackets that were ready to have the core inserted. After buying a bunch of his bullets, I drove home thinking I had found a good source for cheap rifle bullets. Well I got home and started measuring jackets with a ball mic. The 22 cal jackets varied by as much as .003, I believe Sierra keeps their jackets to a max of .0006 for hunting bullets. Needless to say, the 22 and 30 cal bullets would only shoot 3-4 inch groups at 100 yrds with match bolt guns.

If you just want them for shooting rocks or other large objects or for full auto fire, they are great. If your expecting to hit clay targets at 500 yrds with them, then you better bring alot of ammo.
Old June 1, 2005, 08:14 AM   #3
Hommbs

I have been there once as well and loaded up on 115 gr. 9mm bullets. I got a bunch of samples of the rifle stuff and still have not loaded any yet. I did not figure they would be match grade soley based on the fact the were a FMJ design. Too bad as they are cheap. They give a nice price break if you buy in quantity and us local guys don't have shipping costs on top of that.