The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 23, 2005, 08:46 PM   #26
keens

FWIW I agree with mathman...I have shot and bird hunted with many different guns...my Benelli Black Eagle is clearly my favorite of them all by a large margin...pick one up before you buy.
Old May 23, 2005, 09:26 PM   #27
partyguy816

Where would the Franchi's fit in at quality wise?
Old May 23, 2005, 10:16 PM   #28
mathman

if i'm not mistaken, franchi is made by benelli...and their inertia recoil system is very similar, but not exactly the same.
Old May 24, 2005, 07:46 AM   #29
johnbt

"Those who say otherwise just can't afford one..."

Bwaahahahahaha...good one. You're kidding, right? I like the gun, just think most folks would be happier shooting a lot of shells with a gas gun. BTW, want to compare checkbooks? After I write the $3,000 check for my real estate taxes this week I'll have, oh, carry the 1, hmmm, this is embarrassing, I really need to buy a CD or some more stocks, five figures in front of the decimal point. IT'S TIME TO GO SHOPPING, the heck with investing, you can't take it with you. Maybe I'll buy by dad another Guerini. I wonder if he'd like a .410?

Oh a more serious note, a local dealer has sold a lot of SBEs over the years and a lot of them show up on the used gun rack in superb condition. The story is that they feel great, look good and kick hard. Not to say that some folks don't love them, but they aren't for everybody.

John
Old May 24, 2005, 09:40 AM   #30
waltn

Benelli

I own Rem 1100, 870, Moss 500, Winch 1200 and Benelli M121. The Benelli has never failed. In fact I don't think I've cleaned it in Ten years...Chrome bore.

Take the shotgun out for a shoot. Does it feel right? If not could the stock be adapted to you? My 870 and 1100 have Trap stocks that have been modified to fit my "cheek weld", shoulder position, and adjusted for length of pull.

Recoil vs Gas operation has never bothered me while shooting.

Guess what? If I had to grab one and leave it would be the Benelli. Whether for HD or Sporting use (I use wine corks to reduce capacity to make legal.)
Old May 24, 2005, 11:26 AM   #31
mathman

Quote:
After I write the $3,000 check for my real estate taxes
$3000?...that's it?...try California real estate taxes...ouch!!!
Old May 24, 2005, 11:59 AM   #32
johnbt

$3000 IMO isn't even fair for a 1350 sq. ft. house built in 1916 on a
22.5' x 90' lot on the fringe of a very nice neighborhood. Fringe = we're on the last block before the 7-11 and the bars. Based on last week's sale directly across the street the $3000 will turn into $4000 next year. Oh well, I only paid $41k for it way back when and now they're pushing $300k without central air.

OTOH, I'd like to visit California someday. Maybe. On my way to Hawaii say.

John
Old May 26, 2005, 07:46 AM   #33
perrytrails

I own a Benelli SBE, Win SX2, and sold a Benelli Montefelltro. When I take one out of the safe, its almost always the Super X 2. The recoil is so much lighter, and has never failed. I won't take anything away from Benelli, they make a very nice shotgun. I'll let my son take the recoil, he's a stout young man and likes the SBE, and does very well with it. As said earlier, perference. If it fits, shoot it. The cleaning is much easier with the Benelli's, but I enjoy cleaning guns as much as shooting them. The SX2 for me!!!!
Old June 14, 2005, 10:37 AM   #34
Skeetin'870

does anyone have opinions about the franchi 712 raptor?
3 Head on the gun
4 Follow Through