The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 20, 2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Mrserenity

Stoeger youth model 20 gauge side-by-side

Hi,has anyone shot the Stoeger youth model 20 gauge side-by-side? I currently own a H&R Topper Jr. single shot 20 gauge. I shoot trap with it on occasions and it serves as home defense (with shell holder on butt). I'm thinking about buying a youth model side-by-side for skeet and HD. Also, does anyone know of any other companies that offer side-by-sides in youth model. I'm not interested in a pump. Thanks for your advice.
Old May 21, 2005, 02:28 PM   #2
Hotbarrel

I owned one for about a year. It was $300 and I got what I paid for. It was heavy at 7 lbs. for a 20 gauge with 24" barrels, and the fit and finish weren't spectacular. Still, it was a good beater gun and never failed me. The barrels were well regulated which I hear can be iffy on Stoeger SxSs, and the double triggers were quite good for the price.
I had only one complaint: The heavy barrels made it swing like a shovel with cement on it, not like the short field gun it was. I sold it for that reason and no other. A Cowboy Action Shooter paid me $250 for it and is very happy with it for that purpose.
My advice: Decide what handling qualities you want in a gun and buy that one. If the Stoeger fits the bill then you'll be happy.
Old May 21, 2005, 05:07 PM   #3
Russ5924

I had one of there coach guns fired it about 10 times and think it is still in back of the closet :barf: .Like the man said you get what you pay for,look for or get a nice Remington 870 youth gun