The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 11, 2005, 02:35 PM   #1
rr4406pak

Platinum Tip for the .500! Yeah Baby!

Just released!!!
http://winchester.com/products/catal...AwIFMrQUNZLVc=

I want to get my hands on some of these bullets so I can reload them and save a ton of money. I called Winchester and they said that they'll never release the platinum tip bullets for sale as components. The tech service guy said there were problems with that but he couldn't disscuss the specifics. I noticed that they sell the Platinum Tip as a bullet for muzzle loaders that use saboted bullets in their rifles, for the 54 cal it was a 400 gr Platinum tip. So I called again and asked if it was the same bullet. He reluctantly said yes. I think the only differece is that the Pistol bullet might have a cannalure to roll crimp on. But I am not sure of that. The cost of the bullets and Sabots are Listed at $19.75 for 30 rounds. Instead of the $47 and change for 20 rounds of the loaded ammo. I also asked if they were out on the market yet and he said yes. If there was a way to crimp the bullet enough in the loading process to keep the bullets seated under recoil this might be away for us reloaders to get the platinum tips. Just a thought. The link for the muzzeloading bullets is http://www.winchester.com/products/c...eplatinum.aspx
Old May 11, 2005, 10:23 PM   #2
drinks

See if Lee has the collet type crimpers for the .500 S&W yet, that should do the job.
Don
Old May 15, 2005, 04:39 PM   #3
TomF

Hey rr4406pak...

Check out Corbin's bullet swaging web site (http://www.corbins.com/prhct-1.htm). They have a hand cannelure tool (and also a motorized one). But, even the hand tool version is a little pricey. Also, C&H has a cannelure tool. I have used the C&H to put the cannelure groove in .50 AE bullets for use in the .500 S&W. It worked great for that.

The RCBS reloading dies worked fine for seating (and "crimping") the bullets....the recoil didn't loosen the bullets.

Edited to add: This worked on Speer's copper-plated LEAD bullets....don't know what will happen on the new-fangled platinum bullets.