The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 31, 2000, 07:59 PM   #1
DAKODAKID

I really need a good comfortable pair of boots. I am willing to pay alot of money If they will last a long time.
I will use them for hunting (when I can), for hiking and for work..
A nice black leather pair would do...
My feet hurt with all my current boots..
Please help fellow hunters!!!!!
Old October 31, 2000, 08:20 PM   #2
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

There are several things I've learned about boots and foots..

What works for me may not work for you..

But - the chief problem with boots is either selecting the wrong type for the mission or getting them too small.

For walking (hard) an unlined/uninsulated pair is fine. For hilly walking, a square toe or at least one that dosen't allow your toes to hit the inside of your boots is needed.

For stalking, an insulated pair won't hurt, but you really need a soft soled pair.

If your stand hunting, loose and warm seems to be the answer.

If scent is a concern, a good pair of rubber boots works well.

For cold/wet - hard to beat a pair of pacs..

Dakoda, if you'll give us a bit more to work with, we'll help!

Giz
Old October 31, 2000, 08:26 PM   #3
DAKODAKID

Thanks Gizmo,
I guess what I am really looking for is a good quality boot mostly for work.
I am on my feet sometimes 18 hours at a time.
I have tried Red Wings, Doc Martins and they don't seem to last...
I have heard Rocky boots are very good..
Old October 31, 2000, 08:47 PM   #4
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I have used "Wolverine Dura-shocks" when I worked for Allied Signal. Walked a lot as opposed to standing. What are your work conditions?

Giz
Old October 31, 2000, 09:38 PM   #5
jbgood

I have had good luck with Dura-shocks, too, but I've learned a hard lesson with them. For some reason -- maybe it is the thick inner sole that they come with -- they tend to fit too snugly. I've had to put up with cramped toes and a few blisters until I learned to buy them larger than I would normally wear. My feet seem to like Dura-shocks a full size larger than my regular boot size.

I suggest that you try them on in the store, late in the day when your feet are swollen, and with the same thickness sock that you would normally wear. Take your time trying them out. I think that you will like them if you find the right size.

Good luck!
Old October 31, 2000, 09:51 PM   #6
Fisher

Dakodakid, I personally use Rocky boots. I mostly use mine for hunting though. As Gizmo said above match the boot with what you need it for the most. Since I do a lot of still hunting here in southern Ohio mine are well insulated and snug, not a tight fit. I do a little bit of surveying on the weekends so I take an older pair and double up on the socks for a tight fit because of all the walking involved and the cushioning helps on the pavement.

You didn't say what kind of work you do. If you are in an area that requires steel toes or a steel shank to protect from punctures you might lean more towards a work boot. If it's only walking and protection isn't an issue try the Rockies. I believe they still have a life time warranty if there is a problem.

You may just end up getting two different style of boots. One for hunting and the other one for working.

I'm lucky enough to hunt down around Nelsonville Ohio. That's where the original factory is and I believe they still make some of there boots there. They have a very nice outlet store there too.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:05 PM   #7
fed168

Danners have worked the best for me, except the cost.
Old October 31, 2000, 10:11 PM   #8
GWN

You might want to look at Russell. They custom make the boot to your foot and have many options and styles. I have never tried them as I just recently learned of the company but I will. www.russellmoccasin.com
Old October 31, 2000, 10:36 PM   #9
muleshoe

I've got a real good pair that I'll sell to you. They're real comfortable, and if you're willing to pay alot of money for them I'll be more than happy to let you.

------------------
bullet placement is gun control
Old October 31, 2000, 10:47 PM   #10
pawcatch

Browning kangaroo leather boots.Kangaroo leather last longer than cow leather too.
Old October 31, 2000, 11:30 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

For walking hunting when it's dry--regardless of temperature--I like Russell Birdhunters or the Red Wing equivalent (I think they called them "Twenty Mile"). I have a pair of each which are going on 30 years old, now. Lord knows how many resoles they've been through.

I get a saddle-shop to sew a patch in the area of the instep, just above the sole, to protect the arch of my foot from rocks.

I like their fairly soft soles; they do well on concrete floors--like gunshow venues. Not as good as HushPuppies, but better than leather soles.

Sitting in a stand or walking in the wet--well, y'all covered that pretty well.

FWIW, Art
Old October 31, 2000, 11:56 PM   #12
DAKODAKID

Thanks for the input guys, I am an Aerospace
assembly supervisor and spend alot of time walking.
I like the Kangaroo Rocky boots but for some reason they are illegal in Kalifornia...
Maybe they are "assault" boots!!!!!and I would have to register them!!!
Old November 1, 2000, 12:49 AM   #13
OkieGentleman

See if you can find a pair of Justin Lites. I had a pair a number of years ago and am going to see if I can find a new pair. They are the most comfortable boot I ever wore. Like you I am on my feet most of the day. Five minutes with a shine rag and they were ready to go out on the town.

Old November 1, 2000, 12:57 AM   #14
taco

I have a pair of Hi-Tek Magnum Waterproof boots that I got several years ago and while I don't like the "tactical/military" look I find them very comfortable for work, hiking and occasional hunting. However, I don't know how they will work on concrete floor as I've only used them outdoors. They were pretty cheap too.
Old November 1, 2000, 11:25 AM   #15
Morgan

I'll second the Danner recommendation. Arguably the best, but among the most expensive, too.

Cheaper one's I've liked are Frye loggers, but I wouldn't want them for walking/standing on concrete all day.

FYI - kangaroo is banned in Kalifornia, which means you're screwed when you want a really good set of gloves, too. Just have an out of state friend order stuff like that and send it to you...
Old November 2, 2000, 03:36 PM   #16
Strayhorn

Here's a tip I pass along as it's helped me in the past:

Go to a shoe store with a staff that knows what they are doing, and have them measure your feet correctly. Your feet don't stop "growing" as you age - they change as life goes on depending on how you use and/or abuse them. My feet have gained a whole shoe size in the past few years.

And once you have the correct size, pick boots that fit. Wear them a few weeks around the house and yard before you use them for work or hunting. If your feet hurt, you hurt all over.

Ken Strayhorn
Hillsborough NC
Old November 2, 2000, 08:42 PM   #17
Ron Ankeny

Danner.
Old November 2, 2000, 08:50 PM   #18
NY978

Danner or the Merrill wilderness.
Old November 2, 2000, 11:07 PM   #19
DAKODAKID

Wolverine looks comfy,
Danner looks more long term..
Rocky looks like more hardcore hunting.
I will check them all out......
All my friends have talked highly about
the above 3 boots....
Thanks to all for your input, actually
my feet thankyou.....
(am tired of wearing tennis shoes and want to get back to boots!!!)
Old November 3, 2000, 05:51 AM   #20
MTAA

Wolverine Durashoks !

I have Donald Duck feet, narrow heel, wide upper portion, size 12 triple E, I have never worn a more comfortable shoe than the Durashock. I bought a steel toed pair for motorcycle riding because they were light weight and didn't have a lip, now I wear them everywhere. I often drive for up to 5 hours at a time, normally wearing Birkenstocks, Slippers, or nothing at all (shoe wise ), Durashocks are by far the most comfortable way to travel.

Durashocks have an "extra wide" line that might ease up the tightness others have experienced.

By the way, the best place to get a pair of boots is at the Army-Navy surplus store or at a Workmans boot store.
Old November 3, 2000, 09:45 PM   #21
Mouse Gun

I'm a forklift technician and I give a vote to Wolverine Durashocks as well. I used to wear RedWings and my feet hurt because they didn't have the cushion I needed to walk on concrete floors all day. I'll give them one thing they last almost forever for me. I have a retired pair I use to work in the yard with and they are 5 years old, ugly but useful. One of they guys at work always wears Wolverine Durashocks and swears by them, now I know why, my feet don't hurt any more and they're now almost a year old and going strong. The Wolverine Fusion boot is excellent.

Brian

[This message has been edited by Mouse Gun (edited November 03, 2000).]
Old November 5, 2000, 08:06 PM   #22
markmcj

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DAKODAKID:
Thanks for the input guys, I am an Aerospace
assembly supervisor and spend alot of time walking.
I like the Kangaroo Rocky boots but for some reason they are illegal in Kalifornia...
Maybe they are "assault" boots!!!!!and I would have to register them!!!
[/quote]

WOW... what a state
Old November 5, 2000, 09:12 PM   #23
DAKODAKID

Thanks for all your input.
I bought a pair of Wolverine Durashocks and boy are they comfortable and they're not even broken in yet!!!!
I really want to get a pair of Danners also because I have heard nothing but good things about them, I am having trouble finding them.
All the local stores don't sell them and I haven't found anything on the web..
Love the Wolverines,
my feet thank you!!!
Old November 6, 2000, 12:39 AM   #24
Cosmoline

DANNER!

------------------
GRH
My government is a 45/70
Old November 6, 2000, 01:57 AM   #25
Danny45

For me, Rocky's have always been good, but better yet have been the Cabela's brand. Just as warm, just as waterproof, but a lot less money when compared to comparably equipped Rocky's. My last pair lasted 3 years and cost only $99.00. And I wore the crap out of them. I used to shoot the archery 3D courses every weekend and always wore these boots for ankle support and water proofness. Put alot of miles on them and they never needed breaking in.

(No, I don't work for Cabela's!! )

(( Okay, okay, so I'm late. Better start reading these more carefully huh? Anyways, for anyone else looking at this....... )

------------------
"Charlton Heston is my President"

Danny45
NRA, NAHC, Buckmasters

[This message has been edited by Danny45 (edited November 06, 2000).]