The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 3, 2005, 07:35 AM   #51
Jack Malloy

How can you be high speed/low drag when you have a laser sight module hanging under the frame of your Glunk or Husp and the sharp edges keep catching on the $5 nylon holster that most Mall Ninja/Chairborn Ranger types buy because they spent all their gear money on the cool toys, not the items needed to deploy them?
Old May 3, 2005, 11:34 AM   #52
AKhunter

so that's what's wrong with that guy...

We've got a few here also--one of them I call Officer Fatass, he must weigh nearly 400#, I swear. He's got a little import pickup truck with pretty much zero visibility out his rear window from all of the "cold dead fingers" type bumper stickers on it. He used to be the security guard that stopped folks from using the free library parking if they weren't really in the library. He's an officious little prick who shouldn't be allowed to own a cell phone, much less a gun. The other one that stands out drives a surplus police cruiser that he put a light bar on top of. He's got handcuffs hanging from the rearview and his vanity plate says "COPCAR" What a tool.

AK
Old May 3, 2005, 06:05 PM   #53
BigBoyBlue

I just laughed my arse off at Gecko 45. I like the part on GT where he says, "We are a 3 person tatical squad at the mall."LOL
Old May 3, 2005, 06:28 PM   #54
Archie

A long time ago...

these kind of folks were referred to as "Drugstore Cowboys".

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old May 8, 2005, 03:47 PM   #55
NSWP226

Christ, this is the funniest thread I've read so far. I never knew there was an actual term for these guys. Reminds me of the people that show up at gun show decked out with all the military gear but with nowhere to go.

Fred Hansen

That's the funniest sh*t I've seen. Bling bling, yo.
Old May 8, 2005, 03:54 PM   #56
hummelsander

We got a term for them where I'm from...it's Hobby Cop. Those are the guys who have antenas poking out in all directions from their car which they back into their driveways for quick responses to their police scanners.
Old May 9, 2005, 11:03 AM   #57
Jack Malloy

There are funnier posts.
Like the ones where some Chairborn Ranger goes on and on about how his plastic gun can be dropped out of a helicopter and run over by a steamroller and will work.
Thats nice, but I don't think thats apt to happen in the case of a real world self defence or emergency scenario.

I never could understand why these guys never mention guns that may be able to fire underwater.
Years ago, I witnessed an incident where a person drowned in their car during a flood. They got stuck in it and could not get out. Now, where you live such might be an unlikey event. But around here, generally one person a year buys the farm in aflooding incident.
In fact, I always felt one good reason to carry a gun would be to shoot out a window or windshield in such a situation.
Beleive it or not, some guns will work underwater (don't assume yours will, as its dangerous because of pressure in the barrell acting like an obstruction and water can cushion the blow of the firing pin.....).
I know 1911s will fire under water and I know that Glocks can be modified to fire underwater, but presumably they have to be modified first......

In the event your ride is under the drink, I would rather have a gun that could fire underwater and free me from a steel and glass death trap than a gun that can be driven over by an SUV and dropped off a biulding.

Why the Chairborn Ranger/Mall Ninja crowd never seem concerned about such a possibility, considering how easily impressed they are by other events highly unlkely to happen (like getting into a gunfight after falling off a five story building and bein run over by a hummer) never ceases to amaze me.
But post anything about "torture tests" and the Tactical crowd will be all over it in three minutes bragging about their Uberguns.
Where I live, being attacked by a bear or drowning in a flooded vehicle are bigger threats to my existance than gangbangers or terrorists. Which means a big bore revolver is often the better "tactical" tool in the real world I live in.
You couldn't sell one of these guys a wheelgun if you put a light rail on it.
Old May 9, 2005, 12:33 PM   #58
hummelsander

Ah, common Jack. The true mall ninja will have a special tool on his belt to break glass. It's a carbide, spring loaded thingamajig that, when released, will shatter the glass so the water pressure will cave it in. Don't remember what the little boogers are called but they are quite the conversation piece.
Old May 9, 2005, 01:47 PM   #59
gb_in_ga

Hey! I got a thingy sorta like that for XMas one year -- my wife got one, too. A carbide tipped hammer, it has a safety shrouded razor for cutting the seatbelts, too. I keep mine in my truck, the wife has hers in her car. It made sense when we were living in the N.O. area where it floods all the time -- and in the Houston area where I grew up, too.
Old May 9, 2005, 03:05 PM   #60
perception

Mall ninja, huh.
I always wondered what the best Rent-A-Cops get promoted to.
Old May 9, 2005, 04:24 PM   #61
hummelsander

Yep, I'd hate to read one of their resumes...I'd be laughing so hard I'd pop a gut and be admitted to the emergency room.
Old May 11, 2005, 07:39 PM   #62
oneeyeross

Car under Water

Jack,
If your car goes in the drink, roll down a window. Water pressure will keep you from opening a door, but you can roll down a window. (Assuming, of course, you don't have electric windows that short out when you go under!)
Old May 11, 2005, 07:46 PM   #63
gb_in_ga

Electric windows, for instance like the ones in my truck and my wife's car?
Old May 11, 2005, 11:01 PM   #64
saskuach

I'm a mall ninja... according to some people... these people also think that carrying a pocket knife is barbaric and unnecessary.

If I mention carrying a conceiled weapon (aka 'gun'), their response is "To protect you from what? Ze Germans?"

All depends on who you ask. But it's still a funny thread.
Old May 12, 2005, 07:34 AM   #65
Jack Malloy

They had a show on Discovery last weekend showing this stuff, about how to get out of danger in situatoins like parking garages and sinking cars.

If the water pressure makes your door stick, wait till the water is inside the car and the pressure is even.
However, the last time I was in a wreck, the impact bent the frame of the car, wich would have kept the doors from opening at all as they were jammed stuck.
I still think keeping a gun handy is a good idea in the event you wind up going over a bridge or getting trapped in a flash flood. Either of which CAN happen. And a gun that can work when submerged.
I do not understand the obsession of some people with their gun being able to be dropped out of a 747 and run over by a steam shovel .....Crap like that never happens outside of Wile E. Coyote cartoons.
Old May 14, 2005, 11:58 AM   #66
TomNash

FWIW, at a depth of 33 feet of water, the pressure exerted by the water on a car door of 3 square feet surface area is about 20 times greater than an average human being can exert to push the door open. Unless the car is allowed to flood with water, which will equalize the pressure and then be able to be opened. Just showing that the 'dumb-tough' rule applies to cars and water! Tom
Old May 29, 2005, 05:52 PM   #67
missourigunner

What is a Mall Ninja

When people get in trouble, they call 9-1-1, for the Police, when the police get in trouble, they call for S.W.A.T, when S.W.A.T gets in trouble, the call for "Mall Ninja."
Old May 29, 2005, 11:40 PM   #68
Fred Hansen

Quote:
dont need it during summers up here. sun is out 20+ hours a day. but i do tape a laser pointer to the handguards when i overcook my dinner and my home is full of smoke.

i may or may not intentionally overcook my dinners for that purpose.
I missed that the first time around 'Spiff. LMAO
Quote:
Estimated Danger Level 1-10: -The TMF gets a 9. His tactics ensure that if you make one wrong move, you're not coming home for dinner-and even if you don't, you're still not coming home for dinner. Either way, you don't get no dinner.

End Report
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old May 31, 2005, 02:05 PM   #69
XDoctor

Google image finder is a goldmine.

Those are both from mallninja.com by the way.
Old May 31, 2005, 02:18 PM   #70
racinstylez

haha.....hehe......

OHH OHH I FOUND ONE I FOUND HIM!!!! (guy in black)

Old May 31, 2005, 02:45 PM   #71
IZinterrogator

Hmmm... doesn't look like he has a SAPI plate duct-taped to his back. Must be one of those 4x6" trauma plates. Did he have a briefcase with one nearby?

Edit: Just noticed the guy in the green shirt has a Marine tattoo on his forearm. Place your bets, gentlemen!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old May 31, 2005, 05:03 PM   #72
XDoctor

I have $20 says the marine makes the ninja cry with one nasty look.
Old June 2, 2005, 08:05 AM   #73
IZinterrogator

Looks like it's time for the mall ninjas to go pistol shopping...

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old June 29, 2005, 01:08 AM   #74
3 weelin geezer

Is this what a mall ninja looks like?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mall ninja.jpg (20.1 KB, 136 views)
Old June 29, 2005, 08:47 AM   #75
Jeff #111

I'm a cop and I am not a Mall Ninja. Actually I mainly investigate fraud cases so much of my time is spent on the phone; talking to bank tellers, secret service agents and typing on the computer. However I wanted to let you know that in in the ranks of law enforcement we have genuine mall ninjas. Yes sometimes they do get hired.

One of the officers on my department is a Mall Ninja. He's actually a pretty good officer, but he loves all the stuff by Blackhawk and he is carrying a different gun about every six months. He's really into the tactical stuff.