The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 29, 2005, 11:29 AM   #1
BUSTER51

Armalite Ar30

Been looking at the Armalite AR30 package CDNN has Burris scope ,bipod and rifle for $1000.00 [308]. any have any experience with AR30 good or bad?
Old April 29, 2005, 12:49 PM   #2
DPris

Tried three guns from ArmaLite, the current AR180 in .223, a .308 carbine, and a .300 RSAUM. The 180 was a great little gun & functioned perfectly. Neither of the .30s would feed reliably. When I had the .300 the only ammo available was the softpoint rounds, and the company recommended against softpoints. I believe you can get a polymer tip now, and that's one of the two (the other was an FMJ, which I doubt anybody'll make in a commercial loading for that caliber) ArmaLite says to use.
I've heard of other ArmaLite .30s that worked fine, so the ones I had here may or may not be representative.
Since you asked.
Denis
Old April 29, 2005, 05:13 PM   #3
keens

I do not know about the AR-30, but I do know my AR-10 carbine .308 is one of my keepers. It has never failed to feed or fire in any way. I have used Armalite magazines and all types of .308 ammo. I also find it quite accurate at least at 100 yards...one inch groups and sometimes better (with scope). I have been practicing with iron sights free standing on my metal plate (12 inches) at 100 yards...no surprize but I can ht it every time with any ammo I choose to feed it. I am bragging on the gun...I know many who can shoot much better. I have always admired to AR-30 and especially the AR-50...if you get it, I would be interested in hearing how you like it. Finally, I have needed any service, but I have ordered parts from Armalite and they seem to be very customer conscious.
Old April 29, 2005, 05:39 PM   #4
dfaugh

Seriously considering one in .338 Lapua

This is currently the ONLY gun on my "must have" list....Not sure if this is helpful, but I WANT ONE

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old April 29, 2005, 07:46 PM   #5
Zak Smith

Couple of my friends have them in 338 and 300. Reports are that they shoot great. It's up to you if you can stand the stock ergos.
Old October 14, 2005, 01:00 PM   #6
armedtotheteeth

get the Ar-30 (300 win) It is a great gun, lots of power, and semi affordable. Mine shoots single hole groups pretty much at 100 yards. I put the cheap leupold rifleman ($250 at wally world) no problems other than with the bipod adapter. I fixxed mine with 2 separate setscrews to lock it in place. I got the wally world bipod too. $40 vice 100. It is identical to the ultralight armalite sells. Put the muzzle break on it and wear earplugs. Aim small.
Old October 14, 2005, 05:55 PM   #7
joshua

Why did armalite use the M-16 grip and that butt stock is just butt ugly. I like all the reviews in reference to accuracy and quality of the action. But that stock needs to get redesigned. Also chambering it to the WSM and 338RUM with the correct twist barrels for 250-300 grain will generate more sales on those rifles. Seriously a very good product that can use a bit of modification. josh
Old October 14, 2005, 09:21 PM   #8
armedtotheteeth

My guess is on the design, they designed it after the granndaddy Ar-50. Both are very Accurate rifles. I believe the pistol grip is supposed to help with recoil control. (WHich aint a problem with the Muzzle break. It really feels natural off a bench or prone. Sucks offhand though. Too heavy anyhow.I think the pistol grip is cool. They Do offer the 30 in 308 and 338 Lapua mag, THat is a wild cartridge, Try getting that one at Wally world. I think the 308 is a little wimpy for serious long range stuff. Specially on the local wild hogs. I hit a few with my 303 at 550 yards and they just got up and walked off. (WHAT THE??) THis prompted purchase of the Ar-30 in 300 winn. The hogs are hiding, Ill keep you posted though, KABOOM!!!