The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
Trapp

Mag primers for everything?

Is there any draw backs? All my primers I get for 17.99 per thou.......federal, winchester, ccI.......
Old April 25, 2005, 10:24 PM   #2
larryf1952

As I understand it, magnum primers are supposed to produce a flame that is a bit hotter, and of a little longer duration than a standard primer. For most loads, it is likely of little benefit or consequence, unless your load is already at the edge of sanity...I've read that they can slightly affect velocity and/or accuracy of a particular load. For most normal loads in most calibers, I think they are probably unnecessary.

I reload for 8 handgun calibers, but I use magnum primers only in heavier .44 magnum loads, where I use slow burning powders like 2400 and H110, and a heavy crimp. I have found that magnum primers help to reduce the amount of unburned powder in these loads.
Old April 25, 2005, 10:40 PM   #3
Dave R

FWIW, Speer says only use Mag primers where specified. If you have a max load with normal primer, then add a mag primer to the load, you could go over pressure.

I can vouch for the fact that switching from a normal (CCI) primer to a mag (CCI) primer will add another 100-200fps to the load.
Old April 26, 2005, 06:38 AM   #4
Trapp

I don't do max loads on my non magnum cals.........I just figuered it would be easier than having a bunch of different primers. As far as the manuals, I have come to not like them other than for a starting load. I am starting to chrono everything I load......But like I said mosta loads are for plinking. (I am talking pistol here not rifle).......
Old April 27, 2005, 11:50 AM   #5
WIN71

WLR primers

This has confused me for a while. 15 or so years ago I worked up loads in 243,270,and 7m/m rem mag. using WW760, IMR4831, and IMR 4350 and Winchester No. WLR primers and the container said PRIMERS LARGE RIFLE FOR STANDARD OR MAGNUM RIFLE LOADS. They worked great for everything, at least as far as I was concerned. When I finally ran out a few years ago I ordered 10,000 Winchester WLR and only then realized they were now for standard loads and not both standard and magnum. Now I'm wondering just what kind of flame those old WLR put out.

Ron
Old April 27, 2005, 12:59 PM   #6
Quantrill

The NRA did a study on factors effecting accuracy on the .38spec. a few years ago. One of the variables was mag. vs. std. primers. They found that mag primers doubled the size of the group. Quantrill
Old April 27, 2005, 03:48 PM   #7
Sturm

I don't use magnum primers and about the strongest case I've seen for using them is from guy's from cold climates that shoot in sometimes extreme cold. I don't use powders that are hard to ignite either. Considering where you are, I'll bet our average temperatures are similar, so I'll say you don't need 'em, but doesn't mean you can't use 'em. I just try to avoid the powders that seem to prefer 'em!
Old April 27, 2005, 05:01 PM   #8
steveno

I use CCI-350 magnum primers in the 41 mag just so I don't have to keep track of cases using standard or magnum primers. I use Unique and H-110 for powders. I once loaded up the same 41 mag load(8.5 grains of Unique & 215 gr. lead swc) using both magnum and standard primers and fired them over the chronograph. the average velocity was about the same but the extreme spread was less using the magnum primers. I think that unless you are already using max loads there wouldn't be a problem using magnum primers for all loads
Old April 27, 2005, 11:15 PM   #9
Rigmarol

I load for the .500 S&W and have read everything I can get my hands on. In the begining they were using and specing out to handloaders to use the large pistol primer. Soon they found that the firing pin was actually piercing the primer. So case makers were instructed to retool and make the large Rifle primer the standard. It was explained in the article that there is a thickness difference between the two. I'm not sure if it's the same thing with your primers or not but I thought I'd through the info out there.
Old April 28, 2005, 04:46 AM   #10
Tim R

There is no difference between large pistol and large rifle primers as far as size goes. There is a difference between small rifle and small pistol primers though not only in size but in depth of primer pockets.

I know having a different primer for every load is sometimes hard to digest but it depends on what you are trying to do. I don't have any powder/primer/bullet combo that is the same for different firearms, except maybe a couple of 1911's.

As for the question at hand....I don't have a real problem with using mag primers as long as the load is worked up for them. I have found that different primers might make a change in group size however.

Winchester primers are made to light ball powders. Ball powder requires more out of the primer to get it to light. This means that sometimes you will have to use a mag primer from someone other than Winchester to get a good light. On the other hand I've seen Winchester primers over light stick powders which gave a wide variation in speed and really opened up the group.
Old April 28, 2005, 05:23 PM   #11
Sturm

Tim R, very good explanation!
Old April 28, 2005, 05:44 PM   #12
mbartel

Tim R-

Uh, hate to tell you this.......there is a size difference between Large Pistol and Large Rifle primers. The LRPs are taller and will not seat flush in a primer pocket that seats a LPP flush. But don't take my word for it....look it up.
Old April 28, 2005, 09:01 PM   #13
Tim R

mbartel....you are correct sir. I was just sitting down tonight with my primer pocket uniformer and saw the chart which is enclosed with it and went DOH! &%$#@ it! I thought I'd better get here and make the correction. I'm slowing learning not to try to do some things from memory.

Small Pistol and Small Rifle primers are of the same depth .118 to .122

Large Pistol pockets are .118 to .122 while Large Rifle pockets are .128 to .132.
Old April 29, 2005, 12:07 AM   #14
BigBoreKindaGuy

When I run out of non-mag primers I just use the mag primers but compensate by backing down the powder load in the case by a grain or two. It pretty much makes everything a wash regarding pressure.