The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2005, 01:16 AM   #1
Big Yac

Crimps on a .454 Casull

how tight of a crimp does one need when reloading a .454 Casull? Also, are there any crimping dies that are better than others for this? How is the tightness of a crimp adjusted?
Old April 27, 2005, 06:00 AM   #2
SmokinTom

You can roll crimp them or get a taper crimp die an use it. Crimping is easy. On this cartridge use a firm crimp in the bullets crimp groove. The bullet doesn`t have to have a crimp groove to use the taper crimp die,the die will make one on the bullet. Nothing to this. Read the instructions that come with the die.
Old April 27, 2005, 12:58 PM   #3
Alaskee

Crimp

I actually apply enough crimp on the round that it goes beyond a roll crimp and begins to square off the first few thousandths of an inch of the case mouth. If you look at factory rounds, most also do this. Just keep cranking the crimping die down until you get the desired effect.
Old April 28, 2005, 02:31 PM   #4
cheygriz

Alaskee is spot on! The .454 needs a very HEAVY, ROLL crimp! Don't even bother trying uncannellured bullets. You need that cannelure and a heavy crimp.
Old April 28, 2005, 05:21 PM   #5
Sturm

Absolutely correct and there is a very good way to get you there. The REDDING profile Crimp die will roll and taper type crimp at the same time to provide maximum bullet pull!
Old April 28, 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Big Yac

and the Redding crimp die will fit on a Rockchucker?
Old April 28, 2005, 07:52 PM   #7
Sturm

Yes Sir! Most die's use the same threads 7/8" -14. There are a few exceptions, but they are very limited and designed for a specific press. RCBS, Lyman, Hornady and REDDING are interchangeable as are Lee's which everyone already knows, I'm not real fond of. What the profile crimp die will do is similar to non carbide resizer. It will essentially resize your case while the bullet is seated in it and also apply a roll crimp along with it. This is an outstanding way to crimp any high pressure magnum revolver round and their not that expensive from Midway, Graf, or Natchez. Well worth the money!

Last edited by Sturm; April 28, 2005 at 10:23 PM.
Old April 29, 2005, 12:19 AM   #8
cheygriz

Well worth the money indeed! But then, IMHO, so is everything else with the Redding name on it!
Old April 29, 2005, 12:34 AM   #9
Sturm

cheygriz

I couldn't agree more!
Old May 1, 2005, 11:00 AM   #10
JB in SC

Concerning heavy revolver loads: to insure adequate neck tension check the expander. It should measure smaller than the actual bullet diameter (I've always read two to three thousandths). Some dies have expanders that are bullet diameter. No way the case can hold the bullet satisfactorily from a heavy recoiling caliber like the .454.

The Redding Profile Crimp is a great product; checking the expander diameter is good insurance.
Old May 1, 2005, 05:45 PM   #11
Sturm

Ain't that the truth! I think most manufacturers do this to cover dual usage of Jacketed and cast bullets, better to have 2 different sized expanders!Thinkin' how much I like REDDING yet again. I'll stop now