The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old September 10, 2000, 06:42 PM   #1
Cosmoline

I've been looking at some of Marlin's lever actions, but wonder if they're ideal for hunting medium to large-size game in Alaska--or just as a back-up camp gun. What are the advantages, if any, over a bolt-action? Any favorite lever action models?
Old September 10, 2000, 07:32 PM   #2
Jay Baker

GRH, the debate on lever vs. bolt vs. pump vs. semi-auto vs. single shot, will go on forever. That said, if I were going to Alaska and bound and determined to take a lever, depending on what I was going to hunt, then I would look into the Browning Lever Action rifles. I think (????) that Browning makes a lever in 7mm Mag., and .300 Win. Mag.??????

Other than that, I'd get a good bolt action for Alaska big game.

I've seen many a lever gun in camps, which were always around the cook tent, "just in case." FWIW. J.B.
Old September 10, 2000, 08:43 PM   #3
Field-dressed

GRH, I recently ordered the Marlin Guide Gun in 45-70 for hunting and bear protection. I work and hunt (moose, bears, deer and goats) along the gulf coast of Alaska. I decided on the Guide Gun because I rarely kill any thing over 100 yards (usually less than 50) and spend a lot of time in heavy cover. The Guide Gun is fast and can lob a 530 grain bullet if you want. I also just like the looks of the guide gun, clean lines with no brush-snaggers. The lever handle itself has a tang at the rear end where it meets the stock that looks like it would keep the handle from collecting brush. If you're more of a caribou or sheep hunter you probably want a long range caliber. You can learn a lot about the 45-70 if you do a search on it in The Art of the Rifle forum.
Old September 11, 2000, 05:14 PM   #4
Turk

I'll 2nd Jays post. My next rifle purchase will be a Browning lever action in 300 Win. Mag.

Turk
Old September 12, 2000, 01:33 AM   #5
smitty21

Same as Field-dressed, I got the Guide Gun about a month ago. Everyone on here gave it positive remarks.
Old September 12, 2000, 12:03 PM   #6
Keith Rogan

I live and hunt in Alaska and have owned and hunted with the Browning BLR AND the Marlin Guide Gun.
It comes down to what and where you want to hunt. I live in Kodiak which is all grassy mountain sides - I need something with range to hunt effectively. I let my BLR go a few years ago in a trade (dammit!) but it would (and did) serve very well for that purpose - wonderful rifles and plenty accurate.

But for fishing or just general packing around for bear protection you can't beat a .45/70. The BLR does not come in any caliber or bore size anywhere near large enough for close range "stops" on a brown bear. I wouldn't think twice about using a .300 WinMag to pop a bear at 200 yards, but at ten yards in the alders, I want a 500 grain flat-nose. If I lived in a heavily forested area, I'd use the .45/70 for all my hunting.

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan