The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

View Poll Results: Is the .270 Win adequate for big game?
Yes 53 94.64%
No 3 5.36%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 19, 2005, 05:33 AM   #1
magnum308

.270 Win Adequate For Big Game?

Is the .270 Win adequate for big game?
Old April 19, 2005, 06:49 AM   #2
pointfiveoh

I'm not sure I'd use it for much of anything bigger than whitetail.
Old April 19, 2005, 07:02 AM   #3
hockey_78

It will kill an elk for sure.
Old April 19, 2005, 09:22 AM   #4
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Define "Big Game":
Elk?
Moose?
Brown Bear?
Eland?
Cape Buffalo?
Rhino?
Elephant?
All of the above?

Rich
Old April 19, 2005, 10:47 AM   #5
XDoctor

I used a Remington model 700 .270 for years. It's just right for deer, maybe a bit light for elk, but will get the job done. Its great for bighorn sheep, mountain lion and antelope. I swore I'd never replace it. Then they came out with the 7mm STW.
Old April 19, 2005, 11:15 AM   #6
Sharp Shooter

yes

absolutely my little bro. has shot numerous elk wiht his savage 270 and they were all one shot kills, shot placement is everything.
Old April 19, 2005, 11:18 AM   #7
yorec

With proper shot selection, good bullets and bullet placement, the .270 Win is adecuate for anything that walks North America. Though I'd deffinatly want something larger on the griz variety of bruin... Just in case. The rest - I've already taken with mine, excepting Caribou which I doubt would be hardier than Moose! It's always functioned just fine.

But, that being said, if you are willing to settle for less than ideal bullet placement, plan to take running shots, or just have trouble keeping groups small enough to hit the vitals at hunting ranges - take something larger with more power. Then the answer is "No. It is not adecuate to take big game." But than again, given such circumstances, neither is a .460 Wetherby.

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old April 19, 2005, 12:52 PM   #8
Twycross

I'd use it for game up to elk size. Black bears too. I would want something with a little more power for dangerous game (grizzly, brown bears), but below that, it should be good for just about anything.
Old April 19, 2005, 02:09 PM   #9
Jseime

Quote:
I'm not sure I'd use it for much of anything bigger than whitetail.
dude,how big are the white tails around there?

my .270 took 5 deer this year, in the hands of two people and a follow up shot was not neseeary on any. i would have no innner conflict about taking it after moose or elk, id just select the right shots.
Old April 19, 2005, 10:21 PM   #10
stevelyn

Surprisingly enough, out here in brown, furry country, the majority of locals use, carry and shoot .270s. They seem to get the job done well enough.
Though you definitely want to use premium bullets on critters larger than caribou.

Squished bugs on a windshield is proof the slow/heavy bullet theory works.
Old April 19, 2005, 10:49 PM   #11
FirstFreedom

Hecks yeah it is, with the right bullet selection and shot placement that it.....up until you're talking coastal browns or polar bears anyhow; then it's not ideal.
Old April 22, 2005, 06:43 PM   #12
RigatoniRider

I'd say no . . . why waste an excuse to buy a bigger rifle?
Old April 22, 2005, 07:38 PM   #13
Long Path

Rich's answer stands: what do you mean by "Big Game"? In Africa and parts of Asia, North American deer and elk would barely class as "medium game." There are a lot of hunters here who hunt BIG GAME. (Big browns, buffalo of all kinds, African lion, elephant, hippo, Alaskan moose, etc)

Jack O’Connor "proved" that you can effectively use the .270 for just about anything. That doesn't mean that it's the RIGHT choice for Polar Bear, but he managed to do it. With the heavier bullets, I'd feel fine with anything in the Americas with it, with the possible exception of big browns. (But with the right shot, maybe even then, though it's not optimal.)
Old April 26, 2005, 03:04 PM   #14
Andrew LB

Like Sharp Shooter said, shot placement is everything. Don't take any risky long shots or from odd shooting positions and you'll do just fine with a .270.
Springfield XD-9 Service (~8000 rounds fired) -Colt 1911 US Navy Issue .45 cal DOB 1913 - Colt .32 cal - S&W Model 66-2 .357 Magnum - Fabrique National Browning 16ga Semi Auto (1930's) - Ithaca 20ga Pump - A.H. Fox 16ga double gun (1915) - Model 94 Winchester 30-30 (30's) - Win Model 70 featherweight .270 - Ruger .22 revolver (1961) - Remington 521-T .22LR
Old April 28, 2005, 02:25 PM   #15
Lone Star

Jack O'Connor shot some pretty large animals with the .270, but he could SHOOT and knew their anatomy, and used Nosler Partition bullets...an important point. I ws very impressed with the results tht he got on oryx, a notoriously tough antelope, with the .270.

But Jack is often maligned by some who don't realize that even he used heavier calibers when wise. He owned .338. .375 H&H and .416 Rigby rifles, too. I don't recall him shooting a polar bear, but he took a .338 to Alaska for brown bear. If he DID shoot a polar bear, I bet he didn't choose a .270 for that job! He did note that Alaska warden Hosea Sarber shot many brown bears with a .270, and liked the cartridge.

Lone Star
Old April 28, 2005, 04:09 PM   #16
Davis

.303 British has been used on every kind of game there is, not that I would recommend it. .270 can be used as well. Of course, if you have the money to go after Cape Buffalo or Big Brown's, you have enough to spend on a big bore.

Davis