The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 15, 2005, 11:44 AM   #1
Bennett Richards

Winchester 70 XTR Sporter in 270 Good rifle???

Hi,

I just inherited a Winchester 70 XTR Sporter 270 vintige 1981 in mint condition.

I was wondering if this was a decent rifle. I like to do long range target work... maybe a little hunting... but I am unfamilure with the calibre and the weapon. Should I keep it or trade for a model 700 Remington in 308?

Thanks,

Rich
Old April 15, 2005, 02:17 PM   #2
Raymond Losli

For the .270 Caliber. I also have a Pre- 64, Mdl. 70 Win. that is very accurate and got some style.
but........
I own two, Modle. 70, Win. XRT's in 300 mag.
They were bought in the latter 80,s . also one brought down a sweet Elk @ 500 yrds
They are solid, good looking and accurate / as long as you do your part and purchase the proper boxed load that will balance out your bullet.
You need to do a proper bed on that Winchesters model's wooden stock and free-float the barrel.
With that Win. Model. / XRT Sporter models are a nice factory set-up

Some people talk bad about the post 64 Win.70 Action but the design is stronger and does the job quite well.
Old April 15, 2005, 04:51 PM   #3
Raymond Losli

Also: failed to mention in my hast to post.
.270 is a very flat shooter in the 130 grain bullet weight out to 300 yrds.
and you should have no problem putting it out to about 500 yrds in the kill zone on larger game .
now, here is a post 68, Win., mdl. 70 long action receiver, I built on. for long range.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0467_4_1_1.JPG (81.9 KB, 61 views)
Old April 15, 2005, 06:22 PM   #4
Bennett Richards

Winchester Mod 70

What type of stock is that?

Would it be hard to install my current receiver and barrel in a stock like that or would it drop right in?

I talked to a Marine sniper today who said that 270 used to be his favorite caliber for a sniper rifle until they made him switch to 308.

Rich
Old April 15, 2005, 06:58 PM   #5
impact

I have the Winchester mod 70 XTR featherweight and just love it. It's one of the best shooting rifles that I have. Being a featherweaight I have no idea why it is so accurate. I did freefloat the barrel and handload for it. The best factory bullet for me is the 135gr sierra match kings.

I also have a mod 70 XTR in 25-06 sporter that don't shoot quite as well. I need to work with the gun and maybe I can make it a good shooter. It just sits in the back of the safe.

I think you got a good gun! nothing wrong with the post 64 guns. Work with it and if you can get someone to reload for it. I found my best shooters work best with reloads.

Good luck with your new gun!
Old April 15, 2005, 09:14 PM   #6
Raymond Losli

Bennet Richards / It is just a Choate stock. I have owned two of them.
They are not a bad aftermarket stock they are CNC milled Aluminum on the bedding for the action.
But there are other higher end price stocks that are Lighter in weight. & not so boxy on the for-end
Your action would drop right in no problem (long action) it will accept up to a 1.25 inch diameter barrel without hogging it out any bigger.
They are not the best for a packaround sporter for hunting though
-
Your buddy that says that 270 used to be his favorite caliber for a sniper rifle until they made him switch to 308.
If that isn't true sure in the Hell ought to be... , It's a Flat shooter & Not much for fast heat on the Barrel when firing small groups.
.270 is just a Damn good all around caliber. For Coyote and Cat up to Elk. It's just hard to beat.
-
No doubt that hand-loads will always be fine tuned to the best accuracy with work but if you just want a supreme hunting Sporter style.
You just need to go through different boxes of Factory Brand Loads from 130 to 150 grain on the .270 Cal.
-
For example my old, pre-64 .270. I went through fist with grain of Average weight, of bullets, It prefers. That's the easy part, it shot 130 Grain tighter @ 200 than 150 / that's pretty strait forward to decide on.
-
The part that will take you a little work is then buy Boxes of Win, Fed.& Rem. brand and just shoot 3 shot groups @ 200 yrds.
It does not always turn Out to be the premium brand of Factory Load either. that's the best for that rifle.
The one that gives you the...Tightest group and the smallest deviation from the First Cold-Shot and Two Warm follow-Up Shots.
That's the keeper ...( this is just My Method and not the only one out there)
Mine loves... Remington, .270 Win. 130 grain, Core-lokt PTD soft PT
Important - also: Buy all the same lot # of box when you find the keeper.