The Firing Line Forums
Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > S.W.A.T. Magazine

Old April 13, 2005, 04:12 PM   #1
thralduro

So I bought my first issue of S.W.A.T.

I have to be honest, what with the title "S.W.A.T." and the AR type rifles throughout I was a bit skeptical about this rag. I thought everything in there would be "EXTREME" or "TACTICAL" or "MATCH GRADE" or "SELECT" you get the idea. All the cliches in one nice glossy package. I was surprised however to find a very good article concerning how to evaluate training and trainers, a well thought out article on the Beslan Massacre (which is why I bought it) and the writer even thoughtfully pointed out how nobody did any demonstrations/protests on this event as they did on Abu Gharib.

Good magazine. I will buy one additional copy and if the next is as good as the first, you'll have a new subscriber.

As an aside, I normally can't stand gun mags or gun mag writers. I tend to find their articles to be trite, slanted and lacking in tactics and sense (a lot of the time).

I'm glad someone is getting it together. One critisim was the article on the CAR system, which is good for an introduction of the system, but in trying to explain how it works on words....well, it could have used more pictures and illustrations.

Overall good job.

http://www.leaa.org/

http://www.nra.org/
thralduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2005, 03:22 PM   #2
USP45usp

thralduro,

Don't worry about not having anyone (besides me) posting to your thread right now, Denny's house burned down and He, Rich and others are trying to get him (Denny) back up and running.

And, I agree with everything that you've said. Tis why I am now a two year subsriber(sp) .

Wayne
USP45usp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2005, 05:39 PM   #3
garrettwc

alduro, keep reading you will find more and more to like.

If you want to browse some samples of past articles go to the SWAT magazine website and follow the "snapshots" link. You can dowload selected articles from past issues for free. They are in Adobe PDF format.
garrettwc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2005, 04:55 PM   #4
thralduro

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I almost gave up on gun magazines and it's ilk after recently reading an FMG publication in which a gun writer who happens to prefer a Colt SA revolver tried to argue that a SA wheel gun is just a quick and accurate in a self defense weapon as any automatic and that it was superior to DA revolvers due to their hard long trigger pulls.

He then tryed to substantiate his claim by saying that Clint Smith demonstrated this fact during a handgun course...needless to say, I almost fell off the toilet I was sitting on.

http://www.leaa.org/

http://www.nra.org/
thralduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28, 2005, 09:52 AM   #5
techbrute

Alduro, I'm glad you finally figured out what the best gun rag is. As usual, you're a little behind the crowd.

Seriously, though, Rich has or had contemplated changing the name after he bought it, but he either decided to leave it or hasn't come to a decision yet. But yes, with a name like SWAT it doesn't necessarily indicate the target audience.