The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 10, 2000, 04:27 PM   #1
Turk

Anyone ever use the Win. 223 Rem. 64 Gr. for deer? I wouldn't be my choice but I see Win. puts this round for whitetail.

But it would be interesting hearing any usage of the round.

You all have a good day.

Turk
Old June 10, 2000, 05:01 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff Lead

I've posted before in previous discussions of .223 and other hot .22s for deer. Close range, small deer, neck shots--I don't get mouthy against them.

Bigger deer, open country, walking-hunting: No way!

Having helped track deer that have been wounded with a bad-hit body shot, I can tell you that there are better ways to spend a day--or night.

My own hunting ethic says to use enough gun, and maybe even a little bit more.

FWIW, Art
Old June 10, 2000, 08:28 PM   #3
Turk

Art,

I totally agree with you concerning using a 224 dia. bullet. My personal opinion is it shouldn't be allowed. It surprised me that Winchester would recommend this round for whitetail. I'm a handgun hunter myself but if I used a long gun it would be an 3006.

Have a good day.

Turk

Old June 12, 2000, 05:35 AM   #4
Long Path

There you go, Turk. If you're primarily a handgun hunter, than you can appreciate that there are some shots that you simply have to let go, given a certain cartridge and your circumstances. It's easy to see that a .223 possess far more energy than just about any repeating handgun cartridge, so we certainly couldn't fault a man for taking a whitetail with a 63g .223 under the same conditions that the next man will take a whitetail with a 125g .357 magnum...! But we must caution both men to consider their limitations.

Art is one of the few people I know who draws the distinction between the needs of stand hunting and walking-hunting. He's absolutely correct. If you're sniping your unsuspecting deer, you can get away with lesser cartridges than if you're walking, jumping them out of ravines and scrub. The latter calls for more magin of error than I feel comfortable with in a single shot of .223, and I refuse to use the "fill the air with lead" technique when hunting.

FWIW, I do hear that this newer bullet is much heavier constructed, and, due to a higher Sectional Density and lower velocity, will penetrate much better than the old 55g loadings. But now I sound like a .223 advocate for deer, and I'm not.