The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old April 11, 2005, 10:28 PM   #1
Special-Sauce

MAC or UZI?

I don't have a preference with these two guns. How do these two stack up against each other for
Accuracy
Reliability
Easy to find replacement parts(for which calibers too)
Acessories
Ease of use

Which gun is better for the above factors, and what is your personal preference and why?
"False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown in it; that has no remedy for evils, except destruction."

"Violence is not the answer, but it is a good suggestion."
Old April 12, 2005, 08:54 AM   #2
boofus

The Uzi comes out on top in all categories. Including cost.
Old April 12, 2005, 12:27 PM   #3
WillBrayjr

Welcome to TFL!!!

Are you talking about the Micro Uzi
Old April 12, 2005, 02:08 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Mac ~ $3,000
Uzi ~ $6,000-$8,000

You get what you pay for. No contest, the Uzi is the better firearm. On the other hand, there are a lot of after-market accessories for really dressing up and improving the M10/M11 subguns.

NRA Life Member
Old April 21, 2005, 09:53 PM   #5
kingknives

UZI is the choice, other than the price. if you shop around you should be able to find an UZI registered bolt gun for close to 5K, but that's about as cheap as you'll find.

There is alot of cool stuff for the MAC's though, as mentioned above.
Old May 6, 2005, 01:22 AM   #6
Reaper351

Mac or Uzi

Uzi hands down. Uzi's are simplicity at it's finest. I have shot several and carried one for over 2 years during assaults. I never had a feed jam or stoppage. It ate anything I put in it. Hollow points, factory ammo, +P and even reloads. It was also very accurate. They do cost more then a Mac, but it will be money well spent.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Urbancamo1shrunk.JPG (6.9 KB, 195 views)
Old May 6, 2005, 10:24 AM   #7
shaggy

While the Uzi is a superior SMG to the M11 out of the box, don't completely discount the M11. They're about half the price of an Uzi and they can be excellent performers with some decent optics and minor modifications to slow the RoF. I found this just the other day - the results of the Oct. 2003 Open class at the KCR match. I often used my M11 for competition rather than my Uzi or 635 clone and did quite well with it. Again, I'm not saying the M11 is a better firearm than an Uzi, but it can be cheaply and more easily upgraded to be competitive with much more expensive sunguns.

http://www.c3junkie.com/smg/fall_03.html
Old May 9, 2005, 08:45 PM   #8
hbar

I have been looking at purchasing a MAC 11 9mm. I want it because i can own one, and it is the least amount $$$ of what seems to be out there.

Are the Mac's worth it? Just to have as a novel piece w/suppressor and to add to my collection and have something as a toy...Are they problematic??

I really don't want to spend 5-6k on an UZI. fiquered this is a "cheap" way to go.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:09 PM   #9
shaggy

hbar -

MACs are great entry level MG's. I'd recommend an SWD M11 - they're the most common, the easiest to get parts and mags for, and have the widest array of aftermarket accessories. Reliability is excellent - see my post above. The RoF is a bit high at about 1200rpm, but there are accessories and modifications you can get to slow it down to about 600rpm, or speed it up to about 1800rpm.
Old May 9, 2005, 09:31 PM   #10
Asmodeous

My MAC's are fun little toys. I bought one to keep NIB and one to trick out. Here's a pic of the M11/9 as it is currently configured. It also has a cheap red dot sight on it. It's a Stoney Creek Armory 10" upper with HK sights, weaver rail, and muzzle brake.

This is a video of a 30 round mag dump with the MAC JAC installed. It increases the cyclic rate to ~ 1800 RPM

http://www.supercharger.net//private...o/30rounds.MOV
Old May 9, 2005, 09:53 PM   #11
hbar

I am new to this forum, but not to firearms..

What is the diff between the top bolt and the side bolt model??

Also, some Mac's have the suppressor with them, are they any good? The old wiper type or some had Bower cans w/them..

What does the Sten conversion do and why is it done??

I am gathering the basics for this purchase as some for sale are in different packages.....

I will be starting my paperwork here verrrrrrrry soooooooon.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:07 AM   #12
shaggy

The original uppers have a cocking knob on top the size (and thickness) of about three quarters, so as to not interfere with use of the sights. Its not much to grab on to. There are other cocking knobs which are larger and have a V cut so you can still use the sights. The side-cocking uppers are nice because it gives you a much bigger handle to grasp and being on the left side, its a bit easier to access with your left hand than on top of the gun.

Some suppressors are good, some are not. I'd stay away from cans with wipes, unless its an original MAC10 can and you're buying it as a collectors item. The Bowers can is good, but if you spend more, you can get better performance & suppression in a smaller can. Keep in mind, you're going to pay a $200 tax on just the can so whether you buy a $200 can or a $500 can, that $200 is lost. And because of the taxes, it doesn't usually make sense to sell a used can. Between what you've paid in taxes and what the buyer would have to pay in taxes to transfer the used can, they can often just buy a new can cheaper. Bottom line - with cans, make sure you're happy with it before you buy it because you'll probably be stuck with it. I'd recommend taking a look at Gemtech's line.

Sten mag conversion. This removes the stock mag well/grip and replaces it withone slightly larger designed to take sten mags. Sten mags are less expensive and more durable, but the conversion precludes the use of the sliding/retractable stock.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:21 AM   #13
boofus

The main selling point of the side cocking uppers is that the entire top of the upper receiver is left open for optics. You normally can't put a scope rail on the top as the bolt handle is there and it moves with the bolt. A sidecocker with a picatinney rail on top solves that problem.

Sten mags are plentiful and more durable than the Cobray zytel mags. So some MAC owners opt to have theirs converted to use Stens.
Old May 10, 2005, 05:48 PM   #14
MGRacer

Quote:
Also, some Mac's have the suppressor with them, are they any good? The old wiper type or some had Bower cans w/them..
I have one of the original two stage Mac suppressors with the eyelets, spirals and two wipes. They are ok if you replace the wipes -- I replace mine every 1 to 2 times to the range. The actual level of suppression (in 9mm) of the original can with new wipes is pretty good making 27 db reduction per Al Paulsons Silencer Vol 1 page 289. You will have to learn to make the wipes if you want to keep the older can running good. Also, shaggy gave some good advice -- get the can you want the first time. I got the two stage to keep the set-up with my Mac as original as possible. IMHO the Gemtech Viper is the best idea for the Mac.

Here is a photo of my Mac with an interesting history (see http://www.longmountain.com/movieguns/truelies ).

Last edited by MGRacer; May 10, 2005 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:10 PM   #15
hbar

You guys have been great with the info. I post in other sites and soime of those guys are not much help to others.

One last ? before I track down my new toy, if the can is original that came with the Mac, is there a tax to pay for the can? in addition to the SMG?

Thanks for all the help...
Old May 10, 2005, 06:13 PM   #16
Hkmp5sd

Yep. $200 each.
Old May 10, 2005, 06:18 PM   #17
hbar

HKmp5sd. I am in the Tampa area, we have a great place in manatee that we go to. I am a RSO there.
Old May 20, 2005, 01:40 PM   #18
guntotin_fool

completely off topic but

original cost of a mac11----119.00

original cost of a UZI in contract---64.00

I bought a Mac 11 in late seventies for 129.00 out the door, 4 mags included.

the UZI was loved by the Israeli Gov't because it cost half what they could get a FAL for, it used one half the quality steel any other available weapon did. and it worked in the desert.

think about it, with out the 1986 ban, we could now be buying UZI's for a couple of hundred bucks.
Old May 20, 2005, 02:21 PM   #19
Cortland

Quote:
think about it, with out the 1986 ban, we could now be buying UZI's for a couple of hundred bucks.
Well now, I don't see why new FA Uzis would cost any less than new SA Uzis, which today are about $600.
Old May 20, 2005, 03:33 PM   #20
Third_Rail

Cheap FA imports?
Old May 20, 2005, 03:35 PM   #21
Cortland

Quote:
Cheap FA imports?
guntotin_fool said "without the 1986 ban." For FA imports (cheap or otherwise) we'd need to get rid of the 1968 ban.
Old May 20, 2005, 04:25 PM   #22
hbar

Quote:
HKmp5sd. I am in the Tampa area, we have a great place in manatee that we go to. I am a RSO there.
Me too also. We go down there, but not recently. Ii also got my RSO down there. I want to start doing the Clay match on Sat. with Gene.

It's a small world, after all!! start hummin'...

E-me and I'll give you a cell #.

Are the side cocker uppers any better than top. i like the old style..

I'm getting ready to send $$ to start the purchase. Know of any "deals here in town b4 i do??
Old May 20, 2005, 07:32 PM   #23
Third_Rail

Cortland, I know.... I'm just dreaming.
Old May 22, 2005, 03:25 AM   #24
guntotin_fool

the norinco Uzis were very affordable, something like $249 each. the cost of SA uzis are not representative of a free market price. being a restricted for so long item the price has gone sky high.

New russian AK's cost something like $120 on the world arms market. Bulgies are al ittle less czech are a little more. Used arms like war booty AK's or Argentine FAL's are well under a hundred bucks. The cost of an African spec Toyota pick up truck is about 6700 including the cost of the tariff.

Think about it. certain parts of Asia and Africa and central America EVERYONE has one AK, and most of these places make a couple hundred bucks a year per capitita, if it was not so cheap, how could they arm themselves.

You pay an Awful lot here for government mandated safety features, pollution devices and other amenitys. China was selling a verson of the ford focus for under 5K. no airbags. no radio, nothing power, just tires body motor trany and seats.