The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 10, 2005, 07:54 PM   #1
woodland

Anyone know of an AR-50AE upper?

Several years ago, I read a write up on an AR upper being made by American Firearms, that was chambered for .50AE. I can't find anything about them now. Did they go out of business? I would love to have one of those. I remember they were modifying 30 rnd. AR mags to hold 10 rnds of .50. There must be some floating around out there somewhere.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:06 PM   #2
h8theun

monster ar

Hey woodland,
I dont know about those 50 ae ars u read about, but I know some one who tried to manufacture them and ran into
many problems.The biggest problem was explodeing bolts due to the greater surface area of the 50ae case.The other big problem was the extra space in the front of an ar mag due to the 50ae being shorter than the .223.So Robin Church the manufacturer trudged along and seems to have solved these problems by filling the first 3/8 of an inch in the front of an ar mag with a strip of sturdy plastic.She fixed the explodeing bolt problem by rebateing the 50 ae rim to size of a 7.62x39 rim.The new cartidge is called the 502 Thundersabre.I had the opportunity to fire Robins dealer sample full auto .502 last year,it was loud and the muzzle rose quickly, but it functioned well with no jams or double feeds.If u want more info do a search for "Cloud Mountain Armory".You may also want to look for info on thr "50 Beowolfe".

"give me liberty or give me death" Patrick Henry
Old April 10, 2005, 09:23 PM   #3
Casp_A

I don't know about the company or the uppers or what happened to them, but the one thing I do know is that you have to realize the caliber, ".50 AE" is not in fact .50 Action Express. It's called .50 American Eagle, and is a straight-walled, .50 cal, rebated rim cartridge, designed to have the same rim dimensions as the 7.62x39mm. Basically it's a shorter version of the .50 Beowulf made to use the same bullets as the .50 BMG. There's an entry for it in Cartridges of the World (mine's 10th edition,) that's the only reference to it I've ever seen.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:47 PM   #4
Foxy

There was a .50 Action Express AR-15 upper made by Tromix, but as I understand it, they're out of business and aren't making any more.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:22 AM   #5
yorec

Tromix is outta business? Aww.... And I wanted one of thier .475 Tremors uppers!

Waited too long.

(And yep they did make a .50 AE upper - was on thier catalog last I looked a couple of years ago.)

Hey quick search, I found thier website's still up... They don't look outta business.

Tromix's .50 AE Upper

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:39 AM   #6
woodland

The one I am talking about was actually a .50 Action Express. I just found the old article I saw it in. It was the October 1996 issue of American Survival Guide. The company was American Firearms LLC, and Bushmaster made the uppers for them. They modified 30rnd AR mags to hold 10rnds of .50 Action Express. I also remember Machine Gun News did a write up on it. They put one on a class III lower. Wouldn't that be fun! Recoil was reported to be about like a .308. In the test, they were getting 3 to 4 inch groups at 100 yds. There must be some of them floating around out there somewhere.
Old April 11, 2005, 06:08 AM   #7
Foxy

Yorec,

If you just go to tromix.com, there's no clickable links (that I can find, at least), and it says, "Thanks for all the memories!" That's what gave me the impression they're out of business. If they're not, then I definately want to get my hands on one

.50AE on a automatic weapon sounds fun, but expensive. I'd go broke in short order trying to shoot it
Old April 11, 2005, 07:57 AM   #8
1BadF350

When I bought my Rock River last week, the guy at the gun shop told me there was a conversion for a .50 Beowulf (sp) By Alexander Arms.
Old April 11, 2005, 08:04 AM   #9
1BadF350

Ok I did a search for you.
Cabela's sells the conversion kit.
Here is the link. .50 Beowulf conversion kit
Old April 11, 2005, 12:17 PM   #10
yorec

Saw that other page while searching too Foxy - Worried me. But there was another link that I tried that got me into thier regular site. Have a look... Tromix

The .50 Beowulf's a totally different cartridge than the .50AE. The AE was what was asked about and might be preferred to match a handgun of the same cal.

The Beowulf sure looks good, though I still want the .475 Tremor!

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old April 11, 2005, 12:47 PM   #11
1BadF350

Quote:
The .50 Beowulf's a totally different cartridge than the .50AE. The AE was what was asked about and might be preferred to match a handgun of the same cal.
I know what the question was and I know they are different. I was throwing another option on the table, since the .50 Beowulf cartridge has basically the same base as a .223 and may require less modification and more reliability than the .50 AE conversion. Seems to me it's basically just a complete upper receiver change and different mags.
Old April 12, 2005, 12:42 AM   #12
woodland

Thanks guys. I had not seen the Tromix one before. Yes, I am more interested in the .50AE, as I also have a Desert Eagle, and the stuff to reload for it. The Beowulf does look interesting though. It looks like a little longer cartridge. I wonder what the balistics are like for it. I'll have to do some looking.

Thanks for the replies.