The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old April 10, 2005, 01:34 AM   #1
solothurn

Curios and Relics

I was looking online at liscensing but was able to find little info at the ATF website. Can anyone tell me what the advantages to having a C & R liscense are?
Old April 10, 2005, 01:44 AM   #2
novus collectus

(check everything I say here for yourself and do not take my word as gospel)You can buy a C&R handgun from an out of state source (if your state allows this) and have it sent right to your door without going through a dealer in your state. You can do this with C&R rifles as well (most states). You get a dealers discount from many distributers. If you live in a restrictive state, you usualy do not have to fill out paperwork to buy a C&R handgun, no waiting period, and no fee for a backround check because the check is not needed for a FFL to FFL transfer. Not all C&R guns are old and some are just a few years old. All you do is hand over a signed copy of your 03 FFL and you're good to go in most cases.

Theres more that I did not mention.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:13 AM   #3
2002gti

yes you have anything older than 50 years sent to your door, you will get aquanted with your ups driver real fast. in my state california i cant get handguns to my door they still have to go through an ffl to be registered. there are many great deals to be had with the lic. mosins for $70, k98's for $150, k31's for under $100, etc. you also get dealer discounts from midway and brownells.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:47 AM   #4
Person of Interest

The C&R is a collector's license, not a dealer's license. No buying cheap for resale at a profit as this would make you a dealer.

If you collect C&R guns, which would be anything 50 years old or are specifically listed, you order direct from seller/dealer and don't have to pay a transfer dealer. C&R license is cheap, like $10 per year. The record keeping is minimal, just a log of guns bought using the license noting when and from whom it was acquired and when and to whom it was sold. ATF can ask to see your book but no unannounced visits are allowed and you can ask to take your book to their local office if you don't want the agents in your home (and you don't).

If you have no interest in older guns, there's no point in getting a C&R except, as noted, some states give license holders a break on waiting periods, background checks, etc. Also, Brownells, maybe others, give discounts to C&R holders on parts and accessories. Some shooters get the C&R just save money on parts.

I researched this and didn't find any real drawbacks to having a C&R license while there are several advantages. I have one.
Old April 10, 2005, 09:52 AM   #5
2002gti

if you have no intrest in older guns you sure will after you get a lic. its like a drug addiction.
Old April 10, 2005, 10:55 AM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Quote:
didn't find any real drawbacks to having a C&R license while there are several advantages.
Well, one drawback. You tend to spend a lot of money buying old firearms.

Here's some info that might help.

ATF Curios or Relics (C&R) List (PDF)

ATF Distribution Center - Forms

NRA Life Member
Old April 10, 2005, 11:09 AM   #7
novus collectus

That list is a few years old and there may be guns that are not on it yet. If you find a gun for sale and and it is something you belive should be on that list then you can get the ATF to make a decision on the gun and then you can buy it with your C&R (after they sent you their desision). This can apply to a modern gun made last year for example. Because they (I assume) make a new list every year, there may be some guns that are not listed, but still qualify. Just make sure you have a letter from ATF that says it is a C&R when you buy an unlisted gun.