The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 6, 2005, 09:03 AM   #1
Moe Mentum

SIG 228 or CZ P-01

I am thinking of a new 9 for CCW. I am looking for ease of concealment, accuracy, and reliability . The price must also be considered. Of these two, which would you choose, and why ?
Old April 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Rick 1966

I'd choose the 228 over the CZ. Of course, my first choice in 9mm (particularly if price is a factor) would be the SIGPro 2009. 2 rounds more than the 228 and probably $2-300 cheaper, but just as accurate and reliable.
Old April 6, 2005, 10:06 AM   #3
rellascout

Tough choice. I own both. They are both great pistols. Really can't go wrong with either one.

The CZ feels better in my hand. I think that the CZ conceals better. It is just a little smaller and fits my body better. That being said both will conceal well in a good holster.

CZ P01 has a light rail if that matters to you.

Both are 100% reliable.

P228 has higher capacity. 15 + 1 with mecgar mags which can be bought for $19 versus $35 for a CZ compaact 14 rounder.

The Sig will cost more unless you buy a CPO which is the way I went. P01 will be about $450 to $480 OTD. The P228 will cost you $600.

There are a lot more acessories for the P228. For example holsters, grips and night sights.

In the end if you can find a range that has them and shoot them both. The one that feels better in the hand is the way to go. If you have the cash get both. Good luck.

Rellascout
Old April 6, 2005, 10:10 AM   #4
rellascout

Quote:
I'd choose the 228 over the CZ. Of course, my first choice in 9mm (particularly if price is a factor) would be the SIGPro 2009. 2 rounds more than the 228 and probably $2-300 cheaper, but just as accurate and reliable.
The Sig Pros are nice but they are not even close to the P228 as far a balance and overall feel in the hand. IMHO The grip is just not right on the Sig Pros. I have other Polymer framed guns so its not a matter of materials. The Sig Pro grips just don't fit my hand.

I would opt for the CZ over the Sig pro.

Rellascout
Old April 6, 2005, 11:10 AM   #5
Pilot

I posted this comparison I did on THR recently. The standard, CZ-75B outshot my Sig P228. The PCR and P228 were basically neck and neck, but I've been shooting both CZ's for a long time and the P228 was brand new to me, but also darn accurate. I was impressed with the P228.

Battle of the double stack nines, Sig P228 vs PCR!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Battle of the double stack nines, so to speak:

I pitted the P228 I just received from that place in Abilene against the CZ-75D "PCR" (alloy compact) and the CZ-75B (all steel, full size). The results were suprising and not so suprising in some ways.

The P228 I received is used, but in excellent condition, no holster wear and not a scratch on it, with the wrap around, finger grooved Hogue grips. I chose the one without the K-Kote and nite sights as they only had one left in blue excellent condition which was the one I got. It came with three Promags (which I've always heard bad things about) so I ordered a Sig factory (made my Mec-Gar) 13 round mag for carry.

I shot all three guns at 15 yards, with UMC bulk 115 grain 9MM, putting abut 100 rounds through each.

I started with the Sig. My first impression was that the recoil was very minimal, and the gun shot POA to POI. Pretty much right on. This gun is dead nuts accurate. I have heard they were, but it was surprising that I could shoot so well with an unfamiliar pistol. I really wasn't shooting for groups, but they averaged around two inches with a flyer here and there. Amazing. No failures to feed or eject, even with the Promags. Function was 100%.

Next was the CZ-75D PCR, which is similar to the P228 in that it has a decocker and is a downsized version of the venarable CZ-75. Its a gun I usually shoot well and carry from time to time. It is noticeably smaller and lighter than the P228, being more of a compact where the P228 seems more "service" size to me. I noticed going from the P228 to PCR, I had to get a firmer hold on the gun to keep it on target at first. My first five shots were terrible. On the paper but probably five inch groups. My second five were noticeable better and after that I was getting groups similar to the P228. I just had to get used to the PCR again. From now on when comparing guns, I'll shoot ten or twenty rounds before realy scrutiniaing my groups. The PCR was also flawless, without any failures of any kind.

Next was the full size, all steel, CZ-75B. It is a DA/SA like the others except no decokcer. The frame mounted safety allows cocked and locked carry like a 1911 though. I bought this gun from the Turkish Military contract over-run that CZ liquidated a few years ago. Quality seems on par with their commercial models, in fact, I think they are the same gun. It has a longer five inch barrel, longer grip and is heavier than either the P228 or its stablemate the PCR. I usually get decent groups from this gun, but not as good as the PCR, nor HK P7 nor BHP I have. Today was different. From the first five rounds to the last, it was scary accurate. One ragged hole at 15 yards. I never shot this pistol as well. Maybe it just liked the UMC ammo as I typically use WWB. It coud do no wrong. Function was again boringly 100% with the CZ-75B.

Summary:

All pistols shot extremely well. Recoil on the P228 was non-existent, pretty similar to the all steel 75B. In the P228 versus PCR battle, I would call it a tie or slight advantage to the Sig, but the Sig is a bigger, heavier gun. The PCR conceals better and will shoot on par with the Sig. Both hold 13 rounds, and some PCR mags will hold 14. If weight or concealibilty is an issue, I'd go with the PCR. If not, I'd probably go with the Sig, or toss a coin. Quality on both is excellent. The Sig is typcial Sig, but the CZ holds its own with fit and finish. I don't have thousands of rounds through the PCR, but from what I hear they went through a tough test for the Czech police and hold up very well. Of course the Sig is no slouch in the durability department.

I a very happy with my "new" P228 and really enjoy shooting it! If my wife gets a Glock, I'll do another Comparison and also throw in the Browning High Power for good measure.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:13 AM   #6
Pilot

If your looking for a CCW piece get a CZ-75D PCR, similar to a P-01 but slimmer and without the light rail which is uneseccary in a carry gun, IMHO. THe P-01 is more concealable than the P228, but the PCR is more concealable than both. For carry my order would be:

CZ PCR
CZ P-01
Sig P228

That being said, my wife intends on getting a P-01 for range work and the courses we are taking. She likes the P228, but for some reason she limp rists it more than a PCR/P-01 and get some stove pipes. Her CCW gun is a S&W lightweight 642 snubby.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:59 AM   #7
briang2ad

Mag capacity

"P228 has higher capacity. 15 + 1 with mecgar mags which can be bought for $19 versus $35 for a CZ compaact 14 rounder."

maybe not. The P01 will take 75B mags. On CDNN, they have "factory mags" which are excellent quality and hold 16 rounds. They are $20. Put a CZ 40P base on it (contoured to the grip) and you have a nice looking 17 round pistol. Of course, for concealed carry, you may want to carry the 16 rounder for backup, and use a small flush fit mag. Also, 10 round Promag Compact 40 Smith mags work with 14-9mm in my gun - and they can be had less than $20.

Also, you might like the decocker on the P01 better - it is out of the way of the mag release, and is where the usual thimb safety is.

And.... it is cooler looking.
Old April 6, 2005, 12:13 PM   #8
dairycreek

I own and shoot SIGS's and CZ's and.................

where cost is of any concern my choice is CZ every time. I absolutely do not want to demean SIGS in any way - they are a wonderful weapon.

But, for the money, CZ's give the shooter as much, if not more, than do SIG pistols. I love my SIGs but I carry my P-01

GOOD SHOOTING
Old April 6, 2005, 12:14 PM   #9
rellascout

Yes you can use the 75B mag but it increases the length of the grip which is not a positive. 2 more rounds are not worth the increase in grip length. IMHO Plus once you order the base plates from CZ your cheap mags cost about $30 unless you are buying in bulk.

I personally do not trust Promags as anthying more than range mags. More often then not I have had to replace springs to get them to function properly. Under $20 mag that does not work is no bargin. If they work for you great but I have had too many issues with them in the past to trust them in a carry piece.

The Mecgar 15 rounders for the P228 are flush fit and function 100% .

These type of posts always come down to personal preference. For example if you learned to shoot using a Sig the decocker on the P01 is not in the right place. It is reversed with the slide lock.

As I said before they are both great pistols and you can't really go wrong with either one.

Rellascout
Old April 6, 2005, 03:11 PM   #10
Logs

I would recommend getting the Sig. I picked up a CZ today at a local shop and didn't like it. I know they have a big following here, but I didn't like the feel or fit / finish. I usually don't knock other pistols, but I was not impressed. My favorite 9mm's are still Sig, Beretta, Glock and SW 5906.
Old April 6, 2005, 05:44 PM   #11
Bullrock

Quote:
I am thinking of a new 9 for CCW. I am looking for ease of concealment, accuracy, and reliability . The price must also be considered. Of these two, which would you choose, and why ?
Several folks wrote good range reports so you don't need one from me. Both the Sig 228 and the CZ P-01 are equal in accuracy and reliability. The P-01 has an edge in concealment, and a large edge in price.

Go with the CZ.
Old April 6, 2005, 05:59 PM   #12
CraZkid

Logs...

You picked it up, but did you shoot it? Most would say that a glock does not "feel" right but it can be shot very acurrately. And out of curiosity, which CZ was it? My 75 feels like it was forged for my hand (my friends with all differnt paw sizes say the same thing), but the checkered wood grips on my 97 were killin me so I made my own.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:39 PM   #13
Striker1

Somebody please take Logs out and let him try a CZ at the range!

SiG - Good and expensive, personally I like the P220 and P225 the best as the grips are slimmer

CZ - Unbelievable pistol for the price. Bought my 75B two years ago and it still hasn't had a bobble...the most accurate handgun I own!

IN the end...try 'em both out if you can and pick what you like
Old April 7, 2005, 08:51 AM   #14
jtb1967

It depends upon which you like best as far as the controls. I prefer Sig style controls with no external safety. Plus the accuracy is normally great.
Old April 7, 2005, 10:17 AM   #15
Hans

No question for me, definitely the P228.
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old April 7, 2005, 11:06 AM   #16
IanS

I'm very pleased with my P228. Reliable, accurate, nice DA/SA, and SIG quality. But if the CZP01 is really as good as people claim and its slimmer to boot then I can't blame anyone for going with the P01.
Old April 7, 2005, 11:12 AM   #17
briang2ad

Mags and grip length

P01 is shorter by .1" in height - 14 rounds standard.

SIG 228 has 13 rounds standard - evidently MG has a 15 rounder.

P01 will take a 16 rounder easily - then is .15 longer - or a full size grip - good also for large hands. But, it can go from a short grip for concealment and 14 rounds, to a full grip with 16 (and it still looks cool...) Or just carry the 16 for backup More flexibility.

BTW, if you check the CZ forums, you will find good success with Promags and the P01 - probably the only Promag success story. Also, holsters are not a problem, and the rail is standard size.

SIG MAY have a better trigger out of the box, and will probably have more gadgets available. But it is more expensive, and isn't as cool...

And the Czechs went to war with us, and the folks in D-land didn't.
Old April 8, 2005, 12:35 PM   #18
Rick 1966

The Sig Pros are nice but they are not even close to the P228 as far a balance and overall feel in the hand. IMHO The grip is just not right on the Sig Pros

That's your opinion. I don't share it. I've owned 228s and I OWN a SIGPro 2009 and it's a better gun IMHO.