The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2005, 07:09 PM   #1
Shoot-N-Scoot

Low felt recoil

I'm want to work up a load that is relatively accurate, but has the lowest possible felt recoil and is as clean as possible. I want to use them in IPSC/IDPA stuff and it would be in .40 S&W from a XD. Should I use a light bullet (the lightest I can find is 135 grains) or a heavy bullet (220 is the heavest I could find for a reasonable price)?? What powders/primers are best for this? I'm fairly new to reloading and am trying to minimize money spent experimenting.
Old April 5, 2005, 07:47 PM   #2
xXStarScreamXx

I use a 180 grain FMJ bullet, 10.5 grains of AA#9 (Since it works so well for my 357 sig) and it feels like a warm 9mm from my sig and p99
Old April 5, 2005, 09:20 PM   #3
Zak Smith

S-N-S,

In IPSC/USPSA circles, it is widely accepted that the lightest-feeling load for a certain power factor will be the one using heavy bullets and fast powder.

For example, almost everybody shooting 40SW to Major PF in USPSA is using 180gr bullets and a fast powder like Clays, N320, or Titegroup.

It is "easier" to meet a certain PF with heavier bullets vs. lighter bullets, since they don't have to go as fast.
The theory behind the faster powder is that the pulse gets over with sooner.

I'm not sure about the IDPA power factor rules for the class you'd be in. If they specify 125 PF, then your idea of a 135gr bullet is probably right on the money. Choose one of the faster powder with load data and go with it. I'm betting that Titegroup or N320 would give great results. It only has to be going under 1000fps to meet the PF, so you might need to up the load until your gun cycles reliably.

In IPSC, if you're shooting in Limited or Limited-10, you want to be at 165PF (plus a margin). Look at the 180gr bullets loaded to the maximum OAL which will feed in your mags and freely cycle in to and out of the chamber. Use a powder in the range of TG or N320 again. For Production, see my advice for IDPPA.

Hope this helps. I shoot 180's in my Limited gun for IPSC and 3Gun, but since it's an SV, I can load much longer than you can with your XD.

-z
Old April 6, 2005, 06:59 AM   #4
Shoot-N-Scoot

I am shooting production in USPSA so power factor isn't a big worry. This may also be the wrong forum, but I am also confused on whether to use a lighter recoil spring or a heavier one. I fear that if I go to a heavier recoil spring, I'll just need to add a little more "pepper" to the load to be able to reliable cycle the action.
Old April 6, 2005, 11:32 AM   #5
Zak Smith

re: recoil springs.

If you are running regular, factory-power loads, I recommend staying with the stock recoil spring strength. (In my 1911, I do run a slightly underpowered spring.)

If you are shooting loads lighter than factory, or your gun exhibits malfunctions characteristic of too much recoil spring strength, then use a lighter spring.

Since you want 125PF for Production, if it were me, I'd work up a load with a 135gr or 155gr bullet and a 180gr bullet, with a fastish powder (still using published load data), to where they "just" make the required PF, plus 5 for margin, then I'd shoot them side by side to see which one I preferred.

Or you could just shoot standard loads.

-z