The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 14, 2005, 10:05 AM   #26
CarbineCaleb

I think the need for a firearm of any type is highly questionable. If you do want to bring something anyway, I'd bring a midsized handgun - 4 or 5" barrel. That way, you can still hit something, but this type of firearm will still weigh about 2lb - an awful lot for backpacking.

If you are going to be having a reasonably ambitious route, going over a lot of summits in one of the "high peaks" areas... one of the first things people figure out after a trip or two is that number, size and weight of objects carried are really to be minimized.

I have backpacked from NC to ME in the Appalachians, as well as in the Rockies, Cascades, and AK, and I always chose my destinations for the most rugged/spectacular terrain. What most people don't realize is that although the elevations don't sound that impressive, the rugged trails and elevation difference between base and summit make the premier areas of the Appalachians as tough to travel as anywhere.