The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 24, 2005, 09:02 PM   #1
norielX

Ready for progressive - Piggy back or Pro 2000?

I've been loading for almost a year now, and I'm ready to start up on the progressive path. I've been loading on a Rock Chucker, but have just gotten a Lee classic Cast SS press. My father and brother have expressed interest in reloading, and I'm thinking about letting them have my rock chucker and getting a progressive to replace it. I saw the new Piggy Back IV for the Chucker. How does this compare to the Pro 2000? I like the priming system of RCBS, so I'm really only concerned with the Piggy Back or the Pro 2000. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old March 24, 2005, 11:34 PM   #2
cheygriz

Just get a Dillon 650 and be done with it.
Old March 25, 2005, 05:16 PM   #3
Smokey Joe

Progressive progress

norielX--You'll find a lot more proponents for the Dillon than for everything else combined, in progressives. That's because Dillon sells a LOT more progressive presses than all the other guys put together. Whether the Dillon 550 or 650 is the best progressive press or not is a question I can't answer--and the Dillon guys will all answer their way. The Hornady LNL and the RCBS Pro 2000 are each probably as good, certainly in the same league as the Dillon. If you get a better deal on either of those I would not hesitate to go either green or red instead of blue.

IMHO you don't want to let go of the RockChucker when/if you go progressive. You still need a single-stage for load development and for short runs where setting up the progressive is a time-consuming PITA. I would not get the piggy-back for the RC for the same reason, unless you happen to be so fortunate as to have 2 RC's.

Progressives are at their best crunching out hundreds of identical rounds. They do that really well, and the set-up time is well spent in that case.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 25, 2005, 06:43 PM   #4
norielX

I have the Classic Cast to take the RC's place

I like the RC for it's strength, but the primers fly out from time to time. This is why I got my Lee classic cast SS. I plan on having the SS press for load development and small runs. At the moment, I load for .45 acp, 10mm, .357mag, .41 mag, .44 mag, and all the special rounds for the mags (and maybe .40s&w since my dad just got one). The chucker's nice, but I like the primer catching of Redding, which is what the classic cast has. I'm at the point where I go to the range to shoot, just so I can reload, and I'm not above getting a new gun just so I can reload for it. The new S&W 460 looks really promising. Another plus for the Classic Cast is I can load up some .50 BMG when I can get around to buying a rifle.

I just want to see if I should upgrade my Rock chucker with the Piggy Back or just give it away to my Dad and get a Pro 2000.
Old March 25, 2005, 11:26 PM   #5
Smokey Joe

Piggy or Pro

NorielX--As you've stated the case, you have only one decision, essentially economic: What's the payoff of giving your Dad the RC and getting the Pro, as opposed to the $ saving of getting the piggyback and putting it on the RC.

The Pro 2000 costs about $400 in my neck of the woods @ a local dealer (thus avoiding the extra for freight.) Will you get enough points with yr. dad, and warm feelings, to cover the extra costs. Piggyback will run less, don't know how much less.

FWIW, I approve of your staying w/RCBS equipment. Everything of theirs I've ever handled was built like a tank.

--Smokey Joe
Old March 26, 2005, 12:03 AM   #6
klw

Rcbs

The Dillon's I've owned included a Super Star Kit, the RL300, RL450, RL 450 jr, RL550, RL1000 and Square Deal. Would recommend all but the RL1000.

The RCBS's I've owned included the Green Machine, 4x4, Auto 4x4, Ammo Load, Pro 2000 (2), Piggyback, Piggyback II and Piggyback III (2). Would only recommend the Pro 2000 and Piggyback III. I've never used a Piggyback IV but I would assume that it would be fine.

The current RCBS units, The Pro 2000, Piggyback III and Piggyback IV, are, I think, superior to the Dillon's because of the strip primer system. That is excellent. Also the primer insertion mechanism on these newer RCBS units is also excellent. Far better and far easier to change than any Dillon.

I do my progressive reloading on two Pro 2000's and two Piggyback III's. Don't see a lot of difference between them except maybe that you don't have to use the strip primers on the Pro 2000's. Those can be set up to use primer tubes though RCBS tell me that over half of the people who buy their machines set up that way eventually convert over to the strip primers.

I'm about to buy another RCBS. Haven't decided if it is going to be a Pro 2000 or a Piggyback. Can not go wrong either way.
Old March 27, 2005, 12:49 AM   #7
norielX

Thanks everyone for all the responses. Klw, you've used both the piggy back's and the Pro 2000. How does the piggy back III compare to the Pro 2000? I see in the piggy back kits (at least the IV) that they do not come with the powder measure. Does a Rock Chucker + Piggyback = Pro2000? I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade the 'Chucker or just get a Pro 2000.

Smokey, you understand my question, and it is economic. Warm fuzzies have nothing to do with it. Dillon has a press that's a turret that can be upgraded to progressive. I want to know if RCBS has something similar. If the Rock Chucker + Piggy back isn't the same as a Pro 2000, well then, I'll ship off the RC to Dad and bro, and buy myself a Pro2000.

Since the set up will be 5 stations, can I use my 4 die Lee set and add in the lock-out die?
Old March 27, 2005, 10:28 AM   #8
klw

Piggyback II vs Pro 2000

In appearance they are quite a bit different. In operation they are just about the same.

The reason I bought the two Piggyback's is because I was loading 50 BMG on a series of single station presses. That's why I had the two Rock Chuckers. Since I needed those single station presses I got the Piggyback's to go with them. To convert the Rock Chuckers to Progressives you need the Piggyback conversion kits and the powder measure.

Don't get the micrometer powder screws for the powder measures. Those can loosen up. The regular, less expensive, powder screws work just fine. Also, if you are going to load for pistols, be sure to get the small, not the large, powder drums.

Operationally the only difference between the two is that the Pro 2000 probably can handle slightly longer rifle cases and could be used with regular, instead of strip, primers. There is, I think, a slight price difference two.

BUT FOR ALL PRACTICAL PURPOSES A PIGGYBACK = A PRO 2000.
Old March 28, 2005, 10:49 AM   #9
barbwire44

Go for the Hornady L-N-L AP progressive. Runs like a 650 and changeovers are half the cost. Had one for a few months and have had no problems at all. 299.00 @ cabelas and got a 50 dollar rebate. uses most standard dies RCBS, redding, Hornady etc....
Old March 30, 2005, 11:13 AM   #10
MADISON

Piggy Back or 2000

In my openion:
The Piggy Back is junk and the RCBS 2000 does not automaticly index. The RCBS 2000 is grossly over priced.
Go with Hornady or any stable press, except Lee, where add-ons cost $30+ to go from one caliber to another.