The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2005, 06:17 PM   #1
Kyote

***?

So, I take my Beta chronograph out to the gravel pit and set it up. Wind is out of the south gusting to 25 maybe 30 mph. I set up in a dugout part and the readings I get are unreal. 45 Long Colt 185 gr JHP, Ruger Blackhawk 4&5/8" bbl. Starting loads were 12.0 gr of unique working up to 13.5 gr. in one tenth gr increments. You would think that as the amount of powder goes up, so would the velocity but not so. One shot measured 2500 fps!? NO WAY! Most hovered in the 1200 to 1250 range. Whats up?

I trickle weigh each load. I start light and add powder until the beam is level. I'm at a loss! HELP
Old March 23, 2005, 07:53 PM   #2
rg1

Sounds like a common chronograph problem. The screens just missed "seeing" the bullet pass both eyes. Not a problem with your machine as all units miss one now and then. I get an error on an Oehler 35p with 3 screens once in a while. Nice thing about it though is if the velocity isn't very close between the 2nd and 3rd skyscreen, it'll blink the display indicating a read error. You're getting rather technical working up pistol loads in one-tenth grain increments aren't you? Half grain increments should be sufficient, yet that's the great fun of reloading as you can load what you want.
Old March 23, 2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Kyote

Oh, I got some error readings, but a 2500 fps? No blinking, just a steady readout. The reason for the tenth grain steps was I was searching for preasure. 13.5 was listed as max, but I wasn't getting glaring preasure signs. I've never loaded for a revolver before and I like my Blackhawk and I don't want to screw it up by splitting a cylinder.

Gotta admit though, I like the kick in my hand!!!
Old March 23, 2005, 10:25 PM   #4
JackM

I've had this happen with the .357 and the flinter. Move the Chrony out to 20 feet and try it.

Bye
Jack
Old March 23, 2005, 11:24 PM   #5
Jim Watson

Heck, that's nothing, we got 4000 fps out of a .45-70... black powder.
Any consumer chronograph is pushing the edge of what you can do with the electronics for the money and they are going to get strange on you every once in a while.
Old March 23, 2005, 11:42 PM   #6
Kyote

Now that that has come up, it was a little close. Hmmmmmmm

I bet thats it!

THANKS
Old March 23, 2005, 11:50 PM   #7
scottys1

I think Jack has it right. Muzzle blast can interfere with chrono readings if the screens are too close.
Old March 24, 2005, 09:38 AM   #8
Kyote

Chrono was maybe 8-10 feet away. I'll be checking this my next day off!!
'Course, I'm a little off any way but that's another story!