The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 23, 2005, 04:29 PM   #1
Unique 5.7

Cleaning Compensators and Powder

I have not owned a compensator before and the instructions say it requires cleaning ~ every 100 rounds. Did a search on compensator and powder before coming here. Nada. This comp is for a Beretta 92 FS 9mm. I currently use Unique and have used Blue Dot in the past.
The Questions:
Are there any powders suitable for 9mm that you think may need less frequent cleaning than others for whatever reason?
Or have any of you experimented already and come up with a powder that gunks up the compensator to a lesser degree? TIA for any effective help.
Old March 23, 2005, 06:50 PM   #2
Johnny Guest
Moderator Emeritus

What other components?

Specifically, what kind of bullets do you use?

If jacketed, then Unique powder shouldn't present any particular problems. Some soot, but no real fouling.

If you're using cast lead bullets, much depents on the hardness. Harder = less problems. Softer = more build up. If you happen to use Speer swaged lead and are drivintg them at anywhere near 1000 fps, you'll have a good deal of build up.

I can go a thousand rounds of 230 FMJ over W231 powder through my '28 Thompson with no real build up in the Cutts Compensator. But, back when I was shooting mostly lead bullets cast from wheel weights, powered by Unique, the decrease in comp efficiency was noticible after 400-500 rounds. You could see the accumulation of lead foulling in the slots.

Are you using a "chambered" comp on your Beretta, elliptical slots, or a screw-on with slots?

Best,
Johnny

Blog: Expert Witness
Old March 23, 2005, 09:00 PM   #3
HSMITH

Carters Comp Spray, it will limit the buildup on the comp and make what does stick a LOT easier to clean off no matter what bullets you use.

For your 9mm using jacketed bullets switch to Power Pistol or Universal Clays, both are very clean burning and slow enough to make the comp work better. WAP is another very good comp powder, as is HS6. If lead bullets stick with Unique.
Old March 24, 2005, 10:00 AM   #4
Unique 5.7

I have the SGS add-on compensator, see gunsamerica.com/guns/976417251.htm.

I will be using jacketed 147 gr. FP's and TC's in 9mm with the compensator. I don't use lead bullets at all in 9mm.

I'll try that Comp Spray, thanks for the suggestion.

Obviously, I like Unique a lot, but am willing to try other powders if they make a significant difference. Two other reloaders I know who use lots of different powders think Unique might actually be one of the least fouling, anyway.