The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 24, 2005, 03:09 PM   #26
Handy

It seems that you are assuming that the stores you don't like are that way because of greed and sloth. Have you considered that selling guns requires a huge overhead and very low profits?

Jewelry stores and Lexus dealers don't look that way because they are making pennies on the dollar. Gun stores are a little less profitable than groceries. The nicest gun stores usually have alot of other stuff to sell (safes, clothing, knives, liquor, ****) and/or an attached shooting range. Those efforts make up for the lack of money they make with the guns, because people like you (and me) balk at any price higher the cheapest one in town. Since YOU aren't willing to pay extra to shop in a nicer store, where do you expect the money to operate a classy business to come from?
Old March 25, 2005, 09:23 AM   #27
mikeb9550

You might have a chance since it sounds like you are a LEO. In my area, only 2 gun shop/ranges opened within years. Both are owned by LEOs. People seem to think its ok for LEOs to train civilians how to shoot but non LEOs are just gun nuts.

I actually thought about doing a non gun store. The overhead on Guns is huge, not to mention liablitity for the little markup there is. I would love to open a store that sold parts, clothing, knives, and a huge line of holsters. I would look into getting the dummy version of the pistols that the Holster makers use and have fitting rooms so they can take their holster and the dummy gun to try it on before they spent 100 bucks on the holster. You could lease a small store front without having to jump through loops to get approved. If the business went sour, then you could always liquidate the stuff on ebay.
Old March 25, 2005, 11:29 PM   #28
w4klr

Quote:
Since YOU aren't willing to pay extra to shop in a nicer store, where do you expect the money to operate a classy business to come from?
I don't think a bottle of Windex and Brawny paper towels will break my budget, nor floor cleaner, and elbow grease costs me nothing.

On the positive note, I was chatting it over with a few other officers today, we've all made profits from the stockmarket from 9/11 (bet ya don't hear that everyday), so between the 4 of us, together we have about 1.2m we can pitch if we robbed our savings...

I wonder if the 3 other guys will take that chunck o' change out of their savings...
Old March 26, 2005, 01:21 AM   #29
azmax

Very nice w4klr. you tell them, those who put you down for your dreams usaully dont have any. Seriously, nothing makes me more happy than good old american euntreprenurial spirit. Now I know you can do it for alot less than 1.2 and If you need a Commercial Real Estate Broker to help w the zoning and locating a FINE location for you, here I am at your service.
Old March 26, 2005, 07:50 AM   #30
w4klr

See, that is one thing I don't understand about the zoning, as far as I knew, places could be zoned residential or commercial, but I guess I was wrong?
Old March 26, 2005, 02:04 PM   #31
azmax

Well that is true, although each classification has several different categories, for example, Residential can be zoned R1 for single family lots or up to R4 for high density Apt style buildings, as for commercial there are many differnt categories as well such as C1 C2 C3 C4 each allowing different types of uses. Generally speaking with a Gun store, pawn shop, **** theatre, in other words any of the "Stigma" type uses will also need to go to public hearing and can not be within a certain distance of a church, school ETC. It can be confusing, and I would suggest having a competent broker representing your interests in this matter as You dont pay for his services anyway, I por anyone else would get paid by the seller or landlord.