The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 22, 2005, 10:26 AM   #1
Gastonite

Info requested on Colt Thunderer, .41 Colt

Hi all,

I posted this on the revolver forum, but thought it would be a good idea to ask here as well...

I just purchased an 1877 model Colt Double Action Thunderer, serial number 61XXX. It is nickel-plated, however, flaking off quite a bit. This is a short-barrel'd "sheriff's model" without the hand ejector. I believe a 3.5 inch barrel.

I've been trying to determine a "born-on" date, but can't seem to find a serial number look-up Web site. Is anyone familiar with this particular revolver that can tell me anything regarding it or point me to a research Web site?

Also, any idea on relative value?

Thank you!
Old March 25, 2005, 07:12 PM   #2
James K
Staff

Wilson shows that gun made in 1887. With intact plating, value would be around $2000, but as described probably around $400. The guns are not rare, although I think the .41 is scarcer than the .38.

Unfortunately, they are very (and I do mean VERY) fragile and looking at one hard will probably break a couple of springs or other parts. If yours works, you are lucky. (BTW, the prices indicated are for working guns; broken ones are hard to sell.)

Jim
Old March 27, 2005, 01:06 PM   #3
Wildalaska

You need to have it properly graded, I just sold a CFF (similar revolver except in 44-40) for well over 2K...

Dont even breathe on the mechanism, its got to work

WildcoltsaremybizAlaska
Old March 28, 2005, 04:53 PM   #4
Gastonite

I have gotten answers all over the board on price. Naturally, yours are more encouraging.

Thanks, guys.