The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 18, 2005, 07:30 PM   #1
jadzia007

What to do when a gun jams?

Hi all. I've owned and shot a browning hi power...ladysmith 38 and no a taurus 24/7. Shot a baretta 9mm in the military. I"m sure I"ve not shot alot compared to many of you.....but I"m sure I've shot many thousands thru all those guns. Now...I've never had a gun jam....or ammo not feed correctly. And with my newest purchase of wolf ammo ( I did a thread on that) I want to be prepared. I can't beleive I"m so ignorant about this.....but what the heck do you do when a gun jams? Ok....I know I've seen a few too many movies....but will anything like blow up in my face? Beleive it or not I"m VERY good when it comes to gun safety....just don't know what to do when there is a problem....besides keep it pointed down range. Thanks guys.

elle
.40 Taurus 24/7
Old March 18, 2005, 07:47 PM   #2
Moe Mentum

First thing is to keep it pointed down range, and put the safety on. Then depending on the type of jam, (smokestack, or feed problem) for a smokestack, just pull the slide back, and let the empty shell fall out. If its a feed jam, (two live bullets trying to occupy the same space, then drop the mag, and pull the slide back, and let the bullets fall out. This advice is for auto loaders, revolvers don't really jam.
Old March 18, 2005, 08:38 PM   #3
rdebert

Almost immediately I swear. Everything is downhill after that.
Old March 18, 2005, 08:48 PM   #4
Gonzo_308

ok, I'm gonna 'splain these in the most common way they're discussed and these are all in a combat situation. You can practice these for speed and if it's a range thing you can be more slow and careful about it. The same rules apply.

For a failure to fire/feed (FTF This will cover both). you "Tap, Rack, Roll, Bang"

"Tap" on the mag to make sure it's seated properly, "Rack" the slide to eject a bad round, "Roll" the gun over so that any thing in the way might fall out, reaquire your target and "Bang". Some people including me try a second strike on a misfire before we TapRack...

"Pop no kick". stop what you're doing keep the gun pointed down range. If you're in a gun fight retreat, find cover, bug out, switch to an alternate weapon. This one's done for now.

After 30 seconds or so , rack the slide. What most likely occured is the primer failed to set off the cartridge. or there was low charge. If a round is stuck in the bbl you're gonna need a 'smith.

Stovepipe/failure to eject in a combat situation to clear a stovepipe, you swipe the top of the slide dragging the stovepipe out of the ejection port.

In a range situation, pull back the slide, dump the stovepipe out and then check the breech, if the chamber is empty, chamber a round and continue.

Pretty much everything is covered by the TapRackRollBang but there are more etailed things you can do in a range situation.

Hope this helps.
Old March 18, 2005, 08:59 PM   #5
USP45usp

jadzia007, First, Welcome

Quote:
I"m sure I"ve not shot alot compared to many of you
We may talk a big game but most of us are really expanding on the truth (but some here, they put their shots where their mouth is and will happily prove it).

Depends on the jam. My first course of action (while plinking) is:

Quote:
Almost immediately I swear.
My second course is to keep the muzzle pointed downrange (1st and 2nd go at the same time).

Third, see what type of jam:

Stove pipe: Tilt the pistol downward with ejection port point at ground and then work the slide.

Feed: See if I can drop the mag (release it). If not then lock slide back and then try to either push cartriage up so it clears the mag (so I can drop it) or back into the mag. Do this in a safe manner. I have actually taken a gun apart in order to get the jam cleared .

Non-Extraction with a double feed: This one is a pain but try to get the mag free so you can drop it. Almost always, if you can get the mag out then you can clear the jam but that is the hard part (getting the mag out) most of the time.

Expanded Shell Casting: I have wooden dowels that I have various lengths and sizes (calibers). I unload the pistol/rifle and then insert the dowel until it rests on the stuck shell. I then take a rubber mallet and gently tap it out (the shell). Only had this happen once, on a rifle.

Other:

Squib round: Very dangerous. If the power of the cartriage sounds wrong to you, or if it feels wrong, STOP FIRING!, drop the mag (or on revolver, remove all live rounds) and check to see if you have a bullet in your barrel. If not, you lucked out and throw all that ammo away. If you do, you can try to tap it out but just spend the $ at a gunsmiths.

Hang Fire: This is also dangerous. A hang fire will ignite but won't fire right away. Keep muzzle downrange for up to 30secs (my time limit, I start the "1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc..). If it doesn't fire within 30secs then it is a...

Duds, Light Strikes: If it doesn't fire after 30secs, it's either a dud or you had a light strike. You can 1) Remove the round, or 2) (if you can) recock the hammer and fire again. I usually go with number 1 but I have double striked a round on the CZ-52 when I first got it and after that it worked (Light strike most likely do to I didn't get all the cosmo out of the fireing pin channel).

The most important thing to remember are the rules. The 4 rules (and if you don't know them, many here would be happy to tell you, they have it so embedded that they can tell you all 10 rules off hand ).

Wolf really isn't that bad, just dirty. Just clean the guns really well and if you use in a AR-15 then you have to really make sure that it's clean, I wouldn't use it in the AR. But in regular pistols and revolvers, you shouldn't have a problem.

As for the movies, everytime you see such things just and continue on .

Wayne
Old March 18, 2005, 09:55 PM   #6
Majic

The military didn't teach you how to handle a pistol jam?
Old March 18, 2005, 11:32 PM   #7
Jungle Work

Tap, Rack, Bang and repeat if necessary. If that doesn't clear it, then Fall Back Plan #2 and the BUG.

Jungle Work
Old March 19, 2005, 12:49 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
...but what the heck do you do when a gun jams?
If my pistol makes any noise other than *BANG!* when I pull the trigger, I'm not planning on standing there like a duck in thunder trying to figure out if it's empty, jammed, or whatever; I'm dropping it and pulling my BUG.
Old March 19, 2005, 03:09 AM   #9
BigGun97B

If you are new to guns and not sure of how to handle different situations the best thing you can do is find a place to LEARN about guns. If you look towards the back section of any of the NRA monthly mags you'll see many different options for learning how to handle yourself and your weapon. Getting yourself trained to handle a weapon and the various problems you may run into with it is an investment in yourself and the future.
Old March 19, 2005, 09:12 AM   #10
ISP2605

"For a failure to fire/feed (FTF This will cover both). you "Tap, Rack, Roll, Bang" "

Gonzo got it almost all right. It's Tap, Roll, Rack. Use to be called Immediate Action Drill. You will most likely have a malfunction for one of 2 reasons. Ammo or mags. You want to roll the gun to the side before you rack the slide. That way it will assist the faulty rd or empty fall out. If your problem is with the ammo that should address that problem. If that doesn't clear it then drop the mag, roll, rack several times, insert new mag, rack in a rd, and try it again. If it's a mag related problem then that should address that problem. If that still doesn't get you back in the running then you'll have to do closer exam to determine what's causing the malfunction.
I'm surprised the military didn't train you in that. I commanded a small arms training unit for several yrs. Other than the office pogues who really only got weapons familiarization and not true weapons training, all the combat arms people went thru weapons clearing/malfunction drills.
Old March 19, 2005, 11:18 AM   #11
jadzia007

Didn't I mention I was in the Air Force when shooting the Baretta. They had people to clear the jams for us! LMAO!!!! Yeah I'm sure they taught me that but...umm...it was a long long time ago. I really only started shooting a lot when I got the Browning Hi Power. Then cooled off for quite a few years...and now that I got my Taurus...I remember how much I like it. Thanks for all the info guys. I'll be sure to print this out and take it to the range. I'm also going to get some subs to some magazines and read up some more. I think I'm good with treating a weapon safely and with respect. I'll make sure there is only one side of the story if I do have to draw my weapon in defense.....but I need to learn more about the gun....and how to take care of mechanical problems when they arise. And...educations sounds like a good way to do that. Thanks again.
.40 Taurus 24/7
Old March 19, 2005, 06:14 PM   #12
jadzia007

Well I did it

Well....I had a jam today....well an FTF really. I loaded 10 wolfs in the mag....and pulled the trigger as fast as I could...and got an FTF. So...dropped the mag...and pulled the slide back...and the round fell right out. That was the first time I've had to do that.....and even though it was no big deal...I feel more confident for the next time...if/when that happens. I shot about 250 rounds of Wolf ammo thru it (taurus 24/7 .40) and I have to say I like that Wolf Ammo. It was the newer stuff with the polymer coating (the guy I went shooting with had the old laquer coated stuff for his AK47 and it was easy to tell the difference) I would buy Wolf again. I had that one jam....but again...I was pulling the trigger as fast as I could....so I don't fault the weapon or the ammo for that. The only thing I noticed with the Wolf Ammo is this red stuff that was around the primer...that was all over the firing pin and the slide. I"m sure it will come off though.
.40 Taurus 24/7
Old March 19, 2005, 06:29 PM   #13
Para Bellum

nothing

never had to, my Glocks always worked and the ammo never failed (lucky bastard I am).
Old March 19, 2005, 06:34 PM   #14
SIGLOCKAUR

Grab my 642 BUG and keep shooting. Faster than RAp, Tap, Bang.
Old March 19, 2005, 07:58 PM   #15
HKGuns

Run Fast!!
Old March 19, 2005, 11:04 PM   #16
Jeff Loveless

The simple answer is 'clear it'.

FTF or FTE do the tap, rack, bang. And/or roll.

Double feed lock the slide back, rip out the mag, rack the slide 2 or 3 times, insert new mag, rack the slide, get back to it.

Unless it is a squib load, you should be able to clear it quickly. With practice.
Old March 20, 2005, 12:24 AM   #17
Gonzo_308

Quote:
never had to, my Glocks always worked and the ammo never failed (lucky bastard I am).
That's a good plan. You might want to hedge your bet though.
Old March 20, 2005, 02:51 AM   #18
dsk

So many firearms training schools teach you to quickly do a tap-rack-bang drill. They tell you not to waste time figuring out what went wrong, or else you'll be killed by a bad guy while standing there. Just clear the jam and keep shooting. Well....................... a year or two ago I had a jam with a Colt Officers ACP. The gun fired but it didn't sound right. I pulled the trigger and the hammer simply fell, no bang. At first I felt the instinctive urge to tap-rack-bang, but instead I decided to go against what they say and to take a look at what was wrong. I'm glad I did, because the problem was a squib load! Had I simply cycled the slide and put another one in the pipe it would've ruined my whole day. The squib had gone off with just enough force to push the bullet nearly to the muzzle, and the slide had recoiled far enough back to partially cock the hammer.

So therefore I don't have the easy answer. You can train to fight and take a few risks at the range, or else play it safe at the range, get accustomed to it, and risk yourself in an actual gunfight. The choice is yours.
Old March 21, 2005, 03:08 PM   #19
Topthis

Personally, when I pull the trigger and I don't hear a "BANG!", I like to look down the barrel of my gun to see if there is something blocking it, then I keep looking down the barrel and start slamming the gun with my palm to see if I can dis-lodge whatever the hell is keeping that dammm bullet from comin' out!, or I just take a pencil and start shoving down the barrel to push the bullet out ...for some reason though, when I start this type of commotion, most of the other people at the Range start packin' up their gear and leaving.
Sorry, just joking, but I couldn't resist.
I actually follow the advice and steps that were given by the other posters too.
Old March 21, 2005, 03:52 PM   #20
pamick

Topthis,
That is the funniest post I've ever seen here. I swear I laughed so hard I had to grab the chair to keep from falling on the floor. Thanks for the hardy laugh.
Old March 21, 2005, 03:57 PM   #21
USP45usp

TopThis,

That was good . The only thing is, I've heard about things like that happening

Wayne
Old March 21, 2005, 04:04 PM   #22
Unique 5.7

Don't tap and rack with a gun with a design such as the Beretta 21A, especially in .22LR. Drop the magazine first or there is a good chance you can actually cause ignition.
Old March 21, 2005, 05:22 PM   #23
Para Bellum

Gonzo.308

Quote:
That's a good plan. You might want to hedge your bet though
you're right of course. The fact that I never had this problem shouldn't make me avoid preparing for it. I'll get some of these dry-fire-bullets, stack them into my magazines somewhere and practice the crash-boom-bang drills (whose exact names I even forgot). Maybe I should just get a baby glock 26 for backup....
Old March 21, 2005, 09:10 PM   #24
Dave Sample

The very first thing you do with any semi automatic pistol jam is drop the magazine. DO THIS FIRST! Then do whatever you want safely with the barrel pointed in a safe direction.
Then I would buy a gun that don't Jam!
Old March 22, 2005, 02:00 PM   #25
Jack Malloy

I point the gun at the target, wait 30 seconds, and then pull the trigger again. If that doesnt work, I take out the mag, rack the slide and clear the round and look and see if there is an obstruction....

Then I turn red in shame as the ghosts of Elmer Keith and Bill Jordan laugh at me for not using a wheelgun.