The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2005, 12:35 PM   #1
bikenjam

trimed 45 ACP brass = 45GAP?

I've been considering a glock for some time and i like the extra power of the 45 ACP. After holding a glock chambered in 45 ACP and 45 GAP, i really fell for the GAP. I was just curious if you just trim down the lenth of the ACP brass, could you reload it for the 45 GAP?
Old March 14, 2005, 06:04 PM   #2
steveno

I suppose it could be done but you would really have to like (or be very bored) the Gap round to trim the difference for a few hundred rounds. Ammo appears to be readily available now so I would just buy ammo.
Old March 14, 2005, 06:12 PM   #3
OBIWAN

I know the primers are different, and I believe the brass is heavier

It ( gap) is a higher pressure round

I have no idea if you can safely modify ACP brass to work with the GAP
Old March 15, 2005, 04:03 PM   #4
HQBrass

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

DO NO TRY THIS.

45 GAP has a much thicker web and a different extractor groove around the rim. You will blow up your gun by doing this. 45 ACP is a large primer case and thus further "weakening" the case head leading to a potential KA BOOM. Never cheap out on reloading components saving $0.10 for a piece of brass is not worth a $500 dollar gun or your health.
Old March 15, 2005, 08:23 PM   #5
bikenjam

settle down buddy, i dont even own the gun yet. I thought of that question a while back and just figured i'd ask. thanks for the info.
Old March 15, 2005, 09:36 PM   #6
Crosshair

I think HQBrass has been around people who have thier zippo burning and then ask "Is this crap flamable?" But he is right, it is not a good idea, how do you think they got the performance they did with the GAP. No way they could do that at 45 Auto pressures.
Old March 15, 2005, 10:50 PM   #7
bikenjam

I can't belive how low the prices are on the 45 GAP ammo compared to the ACP. I just figured becuase it was a new round on the market that the ammo would be pricey
Old March 15, 2005, 11:11 PM   #8
rbwillnj

Well, even if it worked, it sounds like a waste of 45ACP brass........Opps, did I say that out loud.
Old March 16, 2005, 08:13 AM   #9
dodgestdshift

You can find the answer at this site:

http://ammoguide.com/cgi-bin/ai.cgi?...blPt&catid=345

Don N.
Old March 17, 2005, 10:12 AM   #10
HQBrass

Quote:
I think HQBrass has been around people who have thier zippo burning and then ask "Is this crap flamable?" But he is right, it is not a good idea, how do you think they got the performance they did with the GAP. No way they could do that at 45 Auto pressures.
You bet I have and more than just one.

I have seen two 37's blow up all ready. It was not the guns fault, it was reloaders who thought they could defy the laws of physics. One decided that he could trim 45acp and load'em up nice and hot and the other used GAP brass but really never got around to tightening up the crimp so the round got a little shorter upon chambering and the pressures got a bit high to say the least. I personally would not reload this round. If people think that 40 S&W is riding the fine line of safety in reloading hot rounds, this round will be like skipping the powder and using C-4. This is my opinion and not worth all that much.