The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 2, 1999, 01:03 PM   #1
Keith Rogan

A friend just took this bear a week ago here on Kodiak island. I couldn't resist posting the pix on my Delphi web page. - This is an honest to goodness 10,2" - 10,4" as measured by the Alaska Dept. of Fish and Game. Most of the pix you see of these bears use foreshortening by having the hunter crouch 3 or 4 feet behind the bear to skew the scale to make the bear look bigger.
This is not my bear, I merely helped this out-of-stater with the logistics of this hunt. This is one of the finest bears I've ever seen. Its a chocolate with beautiful long golden guard hairs - it'll be one of the most impressive mounts imaginable.
The hunter, Dwight, hunted 13 days in high winds, snow, rain, fog - the worst spring weather ever recorded here. He passed up 32 bears (some larger than this with less impressive pelts) to take the 17 year old beauty (as estimated by the biologist).
The hunter is be admired as much as the bear.
The pix are posted at http://members.delphi.com/keithrogan

The text has NOTHING to with the bear - I just used the page to share this animal with fellow hunters. Please check it out and enjoy this once in a lifetime trophy!

------------------
Keith
The Bears and Bear Maulings Page: members.xoom.com/keithrogan

Old May 2, 1999, 04:38 PM   #2
Rob Pincus

That is a beautiful animal...

I hope he is getting it mounted.