The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 7, 2005, 09:00 PM   #1
TBT

FFL To Deal In Reloading Supplies?

Hello all.

Quick question here. Do you need to have an FFL to deal in reloading supplies? Say if you wanted to open up a shop that sold reloading supplies ie powder, primers, wads etc. would you need to have an FFL to do so?

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.
Old March 7, 2005, 09:30 PM   #2
Hkmp5sd

Contact AFT to be sure....

I don't think you need any FFL if you are only going to resale reloading supplies. You would need an 06-FFL "MANUFACTURER OF AMMUNITION FOR FIREARMS" if you were going to actually make your own bullets for sale.

NRA Life Member
Old March 7, 2005, 09:48 PM   #3
TBT

So if I were to carry only "components" I wouldn't need the FFL?
Old March 7, 2005, 09:51 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Don't take my word for it. Contact ATF directly and ask. You may also need state and local licenses.

NRA Life Member
Old March 7, 2005, 09:52 PM   #5
armedandsafe

To pick a nit, I believe you can manufcture bullets without BATFE permission, but you cannot manufacture cartridges without their permission.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old March 7, 2005, 10:02 PM   #6
TBT

Yeah I plan on contacting the ATF, I was just getting a quick feeler here. I don't think you need it, but I'm not sure either.
Old March 8, 2005, 09:32 AM   #7
Texas Gun Runner

You don't need an FFL if you are just going to carry reloading components and equipment. However, if you plan on manufacturing loaded ammunition, you will need to get a license. Basically, an FFL is required if you are "engaged in the business" of selling firearms for profit or if you manufacture firearms or loaded ammunition.

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -Samuel Adams
Old March 8, 2005, 09:36 AM   #8
n3twrkm4n

No FFL required but you may require permits and special insurance to keep explosives on the premises. While contacting the ATF I would also contact your insurance company and building inspectors
Old March 8, 2005, 11:51 AM   #9
wyrdone

You will need a license if you sell primers, powder or fully assembled rounds.

Just selling dies, bullets, brass & other components other than powder or primers you don't need a license. (And I think for powder or primers you need an 06-FFL (Ammunition) or another one (not sure of the number) that allows you to ship explosives & components.) The 06-FFL is your best option.
CZ-50
CVA Bobcat .50Cal Blackpower
Mosin Nagant 91/30 (1942)
Marlin 336 .30-30 Lever Action
Yugo SKS 59/66
CZ-52
Bulgarian Makarov
Swiss K-31
Rock Island 1911A1

Near Future (hopefully):
M1 Garand
CZ-75
Old March 9, 2005, 01:10 AM   #10
TBT

Primers and powder would be a must ... so you do need one then?
Old March 9, 2005, 09:41 AM   #11
yorec

IIRC, Not to resale powder and primers - the 06 FFL is for manufacturing cartridges for resale. As has been suggested - contact BATF for particulars...

From the ATF's FAQ page: H. MANUFACTURERS

(H1) Must a person who engages in the business of manufacturing and importing firearms have a separate license to cover each type of business? [Back]

Yes. A separate license is required to cover each of these types of businesses. [27 CFR 178.41]

(H2) May a person licensed as a manufacturer of ammunition also manufacture firearms? [Back]

No. A person licensed as a manufacturer of ammunition may not manufacture firearms unless he or she obtains a license as a firearms manufacturer.

(H3) May a person licensed as a manufacturer of firearms also manufacture ammunition? [Back]

Yes. The person may also manufacture ammunition (not including destructive device ammunition or armor piercing ammunition) without obtaining a separate license as a manufacturer of ammunition.

(H4) Is one who reloads ammunition required to be licensed as a manufacturer? [Back]

Yes, if the person engages in the business of selling or distributing reloads for the purposes of livelihood or profit. No, if the person reloads only for personal use. [27 CFR 178.41]

(H5) Must a licensed manufacturer pay excise taxes? [Back]

Yes. Licensed manufacturers incur excise tax on the sale of firearms and ammunition manufactured.

There is nothing mentioned about resale of components.

For more info: http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#h1

My site - stop by n see what I'm all about... Yes, there is gun stuff.
Old March 10, 2005, 01:55 PM   #12
Wallew

I can't remember the subsection, BUT I BELIEVE to carry anything explosive, like powder or primers, there is SOME form of governmental 'hoop' you must jump through.

I just can't remember anymore. Call ATF, they will tell you asap. Good luck.