The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 20, 2005, 11:03 PM   #1
CraZkid

Friken New Guy Qs

I would like to get into reloading for .32, 9mm, .40 and .45 with others that may soon follow. I also do not want to have to load each one by hand. On the other hand I do not want to pay an arm and a leg. What is the most reasonably priced (not cheap, you get what you pay for) progressive loader out there that is damn near newbie-proofed.

What hands-on stuff will I have to do with it? (I know some of you guys load thousands of rounds a month and this is second nature to you, but for me every step after shooting and then picking up shell casings would be helpful )
Old February 20, 2005, 11:37 PM   #2
scottys1

The first purchase to make is a reloading manual. You can never have too many. Lyman is one of the better ones for explaining the basics.
I don't know that there is a progressive loader that is newbie proof. I would recommend starting with a single stage press then upgrading to a progressive later.
A single stage forces you to take each step individually. A progressive requires a lot of vigilance on your part and the possibilty of making a mistake such as a double charge is immense.
Take a long look at your future needs. If these needs include rifle calibers, the utility of having a single stage on the bench is indispensable. I like using my Rock Chucker for working up loads, both rifle and pistol. It's easy to do small batches to check accuracy, reliability, and velocity.
It's a pain to set up a progressive unless you are going to load a large batch.
All that said, many presses, single stage and progressive, can be had in kit form which includes the extra accessories you need. The most important accessory I can think of, other than a reloading manual, is a powder scale.
Old February 20, 2005, 11:59 PM   #3
rwilson452

Best buy

As your doing pistol loads I would suggest the Lee turret ( 4 hole) with auto indexing. I think Lee now has a four die set that includes a separate crimping die. It's a real good way to go. Use the Lee hand primer to prime. After you have done some cases with it it becomes a no brainer. I do it watching the news on the one eyed monster. Get an extra turret and put the decaping/sizeing die in it for starters. Lee uses a "Powder through the expanding die set up so you need to watch the powder level in the hopper real close. I got the "Micro-adjustable" option for the Autodisk powder measure you can get the powder drop "just right". Get some more manuals. Most of the Powder MFG have web pages of reloading data. check them too.

I must add my standard warning. Reloading is more addictive than popcorn, peanuts. or any of that stuff. Instead of being someting you do to support you shooting hobby, it becomes a hobby in itself.

Last edited by rwilson452; February 20, 2005 at 11:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old February 21, 2005, 12:39 AM   #4
Leftoverdj

Craz, you may be asking a bit too much. You are looking at a pile of money and a lot of hassle in changeover kits for all those calibers. If you are only doing a couple of hundred rounds, it's probably not worth the effort of changing a progressive over. Easier just to do small lots on a single stage.

If you do go with the Pro 1000, take the advice you have already been given and prime off the press.

Leave the .32 for last. You did not say which .32, but I load .32 S&W Long wadcutters and it's no place to start reloading. Powder charges are miniscule and there is no room at all for slop. The .32 ACP and the .32 S&W Short are even finickier.
Old February 21, 2005, 01:13 AM   #5
RugerOldArmy

Dillon

I don't think you can go wrong with a Dillon. Most everybody (like over 90%) of the IPSC-USPSA-IDPA folks I know use them for pistol. I have a 550B for Rifle and pistol. (You get a discount ordering from brianenos.com)

If I was only going to load rifle, I'd consider a rock crusher or turret. I think they have a small bit less of a variance when seating. It takes much more time though.

Reload the .45 Auto first...it is a breeze, saves money, and cases last forever.
Old February 21, 2005, 02:05 PM   #6
CaptainRazor

CraZkid:

I afraid I'm going to have to go with most everyone else, A couple of good recent load manuals, scale, and a single stage press.

Just because it's single stage doesn't mean you can't be "efficient" with it.
You'd be surprised how fast you can make ammo with good practice and methods.
Besides, a single stage will be cheaper, and a lot less of a pain in the butt to setup.
As for "newbie proof" progressive loaders.....I don't think they make one.

No matter what you buy, it's all "good stuff" just some is better than others , that's all.