The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 16, 2005, 03:38 PM   #1
dasmi

Ruger Service Six, yay or nay?

I just went looking for a gun again, and found a Ruger Service Six in blue, for $225. Gun shop owner says it's mid 70's vintage. Seems to be in really good shape. What do you all think?
Old February 16, 2005, 03:50 PM   #2
johnbt

Yup. I've had one since '85 and it's accurate and reliable.

Search on Speed Six and Security Six for more info. They're the same guns except for grip shape and sights.

Hold on though, I forgot something important. Check the serial number, because if it's a pre-151 prefix you won't be able to find replacement grips. I'd look it up, but I'm at the office.

John
Old February 16, 2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Easy Money

Speed Six

Great gun for defense. You'll like it. And if you have problems QPR in Denver has parts for it.
Old February 16, 2005, 06:03 PM   #4
beenthere

Service-Six

I have two FUN guns. A 357 Blackhawk and a Speed Six (Same as Service Six except fixed sights and round grip). Hope you like yours as much as I do.
Old February 16, 2005, 10:36 PM   #5
magsnubby

The Ruger Security Six/Service Six/ Speed Six was Rugers first D/A revolvers. They are great guns. They're built like a tank and with a little action work and a pair of good grips they are exellent guns.

As johnbt cautioned, the 150 pre-fix guns are hard to find aftermarket grips for. The back of the grip frame is shaped diffrent on the 150 pre-fix guns. The 150 grips show up on ebay and Gun Broker at times. Some of the older grips, like Mustang were made to fit both 150 and 151 prefix guns. I bought a pair of Mustang checkered walnut grips off of ebay last year for $20.00 that will fit either gun. Either one is a great gun.

I bought a 150 pre-fix blued 4 incher in exellent condition at a gun show last year for $150.00. After seeing several at gun shows in the last few months priced, and selling, for $200.00 to $250.00 i realized what a great deal i got on mine.

You can also modify the 150 pre-fix guns to accept the later 151 pre-fix grips. I had a pair of really nice walnut grips i had taken off my stainless Security Six. I used them for a templet to modify the blued gun. I roughed the frame into shape with a grinder then finished up with a Dremel. I used sandpaper to do the final smoothing then cold blued it. If you take your time shapping and polishing the frame it will come out looking like a factory job.

Did i mention what great guns they are?
Old February 16, 2005, 10:42 PM   #6
pepsquad

my first gun

mine was made in 82 (it's a year older then i am) and i cannot be happier. first there is the ammo situation. Home defense carry or "look at how awesome i am" shooting you can load up with the .357 just plain plinking you can load the 38 specials which i might add are so horribly cheap at walmart it's insane. mine is a SS 4 inch model, and is very well balanced after the after market grips were added. all in all i would buy it but then i'm a gun nut and a ruger lover at that.
Old February 17, 2005, 12:02 AM   #7
riverkeeper

Yea-- had a Security Six ...

from about 1980 to 92. Only sold it to buy more specialized guns.

Great versatile, inexpensive, durable handgun.
Old February 17, 2005, 12:09 AM   #8
dasmi

I guess I should go pick it up before it gets sold then! Anything specific I should I should check out on it before I buy it? This is my first gun.
Old February 17, 2005, 09:48 AM   #9
Doug Add

My father-in-law has a 1976 blued 4" Police Service Six, and I really like shooting it. He has assured me he will not part with it until he checks with me first. I think you will be very satisfied with this gun.

Go to this Revolver Checkout thread for all the information you need on evaluating a used revolver.
Old February 20, 2005, 07:48 PM   #10
JNewell

The Ruger Six series is a handy-sized, very durable sixgun that remains a good value though prices have been rising.

The other thing about the grip on the 150- guns is that some people find the grip shape isn't as easy to control when firing at anything more than a very measured pace. YMMV, though.
Old December 2, 2006, 11:36 PM   #11
perpster

Built Like a Tank

Quote:
The Ruger Security Six/Service Six/ Speed Six was Rugers first D/A revolvers. They are great guns. They're built like a tank
I'll say! Shucks, a 2 3/4" Speed Six seems to weigh as much as a S&W Model 10 with a 4" heavy barrel (both in .38 spcl caliber). Yikes that's heavy!
Old December 2, 2006, 11:38 PM   #12
wolverine350

Ruger revolvers are what you call TANK strong cannot fault them, work forever Steve
Old December 2, 2006, 11:43 PM   #13
perpster

The old joke/saying about an empty gun being a not-too-effective club just doesn't apply to these guns. I think I have to start lifting weights just to aim the thing steadily!
Old December 3, 2006, 12:21 AM   #14
rnovi

It's a great gun! I have a lovely 4" stainless SSix and it works a charm. My only complaint is that the trigger pull is pretty rough - I'm going to have it cleaned up. If someone made moonclips for a Security Six (sorry, not the same as GP100 moonies) I'd send that gun off to TKC tommorow and have it cut for clips asap!

"Remember, Eagles may soar but Weasels don't get sucked into jet engines!"
Old December 3, 2006, 04:22 PM   #15
Cosmoline

Yay yay yay! GET IT NOW! These are getting harder to find, and your only hope of getting one for that price is from someone who thinks its just a junky old Ruger.

Quote:
I guess I should go pick it up before it gets sold then! Anything specific I should I should check out on it before I buy it? This is my first gun.
Nothing to worry too much about. I picked up a Sec. Six once with no blue at all and deep, deep rust pits all over. I sent it to Ruger and they reblued it, repaired the sights, put in new springs and made other repairs for $80 total. It shot fine. These are simple, elegant firearms and even if abused to the point of breaking they're easy to fix.
Old December 3, 2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Webleymkv

Quote:
I'll say! Shucks, a 2 3/4" Speed Six seems to weigh as much as a S&W Model 10 with a 4" heavy barrel (both in .38 spcl caliber). Yikes that's heavy!
It may feel that way but it isn't so. My younger brother has a 2 3/4" Security Six and I have a 2 1/2" S&W M66. We weighed both of them on one of those electronic kitchen scales and were very suprised at the results:

S&W M 66- 33.1 oz unloaded

Ruger Security Six- 33.4 oz unloaded

Less than 1/2 oz difference!
Old December 4, 2006, 09:32 AM   #17
BoneDigger

Had two...

In my life I have had two in this series. One was a Security Six and the other was a Service Six. Both were really nice guns, although the trigger pull was not to my liking. Aside from that, I think they are a great little gun.

Todd