The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 12, 2005, 02:54 PM   #1
38splfan

Game with SKS

I have just finished setting up an SKS for truck duty and coyote hunting. My question is this: What other game have you taken with the SKS effectively?
This is more of curiousity than anything else, as I have perfectly good deer rifles and large game guns.
I just wondered if anyone had any unique stories from the SKS?

Last edited by 38splfan; February 12, 2005 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old February 14, 2005, 10:37 AM   #2
Wraith

Unique stories? Try Michigan...

Never Forget 9/11.

Cold dead hands...
Old February 14, 2005, 07:52 PM   #3
the possum

Well, let's see...

Coyotes of course, a sick dog, feral cats, rabbit, squirrel, coon, possum, skunk, dove, quail, blackbirds, cowbirds, sparrows, snakes, turtles, fish, mice, grasshoppers,... do sinister looking dirt clods count? We can't hunt deer with rifles here. I think it can do a decent job on anything coyote size or smaller, provided you're up to the shot of course.
Old February 14, 2005, 08:07 PM   #4
Ozzieman

Cant shoot dear with them here ether.

Groundhog, early spring when they eat soybean shouts, hit them with a 7.62 and you know what you get?????????

GREEN CLOUDS

I like the "sinister looking dirt clods" have to keep my eyes out for them.
I do have this thing about dangerous attacking water filled plastic milk jugs.
But you have to shoot them several times, they go down HARD
Old February 14, 2005, 08:58 PM   #5
impact

Never used the SKS to hunt with. But did use the 7.62 in a mini-30 for pigs. It makes for a good hog round. I use the 122gr HPs. I have a SKS. I may take it on my next pig hunt. Oh hell I forgot! I just bought a MAK-90 sporter. (AK) I just might take that
Old February 16, 2005, 04:54 PM   #6
Rojoe67

Sks

Well, I aint proud ............ I took 3 Michigan Whitetail Deer in 3 years with mine. The longest tracking job was 45 yards.....shortest was about 20 yards........ all were double lung - broadside. Used a 122 grain to take every deer. I have a 4X scope on my Russian- SKS 45. It was all I had at the time to hunt with and seemed to work just fine for me. The (3) shots were all between 45-65 yards away. I was aware shot placement and distance had to be held within reason with the SKS. The Spike, Four and Five point bucks all were medium sized deer.... I felt the deer died within seconds of the impact..... no signs of thrashing once the deer was down..........
Old February 20, 2005, 04:35 PM   #7
Jseime

marginal

my brother used his on three or four white tails and i would say marginal at very best. i feel the round is under powered but of course there are people who would call the .243 under powered for deer too
Old March 10, 2005, 09:13 PM   #8
Rojoe67

Sks.....

Even if you hate it for a hunt gun.........it is one of the cheapest long guns for me to shoot. Wolf ammo is good plinking stuff. I have fun with mine and can shoot it all day without a spending a lot of coin......
Old March 17, 2005, 05:13 PM   #9
DR_MAX

There's a fair amount written about the 7.62x39's being a superior round to the venerable (or maybe not so) 30-30; ie, with the right ammo. I have an SKS I got about 10 years ago, along with 1k rounds. Have yet to shoot it, but fully intend to. I have shot other's SKSs and liked the way they handled.
I wonder how the SKS stacks up to the Ruger mini 30? Any comments?