The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 17, 1999, 08:12 PM   #1
Edmund Rowe

Got a theoretical question, as I don't picture myself ever owning one:

I was reading a recent issue of Small Arms Review with a big story on the HK 21 GPMG. If you read the article critically, it sure sounded like a long HK sales pitch.

I'm wondering, if it's so good, how come I never hear about any military forces using it? I read Delta Force did some training with it, and I don't doubt that many SpecOps groups will train with it, but they train with EVERYTHING. All other grunt machine-gunners around the world toting GPMG seem to use the FN MAG, M-60 > or the Russian PK series.

Something about the HK 21 that grunts don't like? Or did HK price themselves out of the market again?

I read once in SOF long ago that the HK 21 pounds the shooter badly. Anyone heard any other negative stories?

Edmund
Old January 18, 1999, 12:22 PM   #2
David

I've shot two different 21's, and they shot real well. It definitely could be the price thing.
Old January 22, 1999, 10:54 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

Handled one only once - but didn't get to shoot it.

My reservation about the HK21 is the calibre since most countries are trying to go one calibre and the 7.62mm x 51 is a holdover from the '50s. Don't get me wrong, good bullet. Me like too.

With the idea of weapons systems (reduced training, simplified logistics and parts), the HK doesn't fit in unless you're using HK rifles too. Then again, like David and you said, it could be a price thing.