The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 7, 2005, 10:56 AM   #1
tjhands

Where to buy the cheapest brass tumbler?

Sorry about all the threads lately, but there is such a wealth of info around here, I can't help asking!

I've looked around on the net for a cheap brass tumbler.....$48 is the cheapest I've found. Some on ebay, but they are going for over $55 when shipping is figured in. Anyone know of a cheaper brand or website to visit? Anyone have a decent used one that they'd be willing to sell me? My email addy is iascorpio@hotmail.com if you do have a used one.

Thanks!
Old February 7, 2005, 11:10 AM   #2
Edward429451

may or may not help.

http://buildgear.cjb.net/

Click on Homebuilt Brass Tumbler

Last edited by Edward429451; February 7, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
Old February 7, 2005, 12:06 PM   #3
Cazach

Keep in mind that "cheap" and "tumbler" in the same sentence typically mean low quality and short lifespan. I know there are exceptions and I went through this decision process years ago. You may be better served by spending $20-$40 extra and getting a solid tumbler.

It's kinda like the old saying with tools "Buy cheap ones over and over or buy good ones once."

YMMV.
Old February 7, 2005, 01:59 PM   #4
road.warrior

I shopped for hours to find this deal

http://www.bosesguns.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=1580

Works good, once in a while it won't start, just pull the bottom open
and spin by hand (with power off!) and it's ok.
Old February 7, 2005, 02:02 PM   #5
Edward429451

Dust in the bearings or a flat spot on the stator. You need a new motor.
Old February 7, 2005, 02:57 PM   #6
sindiesel666

http://www.midwayusa.com/rewriteaproduct/668307

Get the whole kit to start out with, because inevitably you will need some way to separate the brass from media, you'll need good polish (i bought the 32 oz bottle of Frankford Arsenal polish, works great) , a bucket to collect the media and so on.
That tumbler works great, I've run mine for 3-4 days straight with thousands of cases celaned.....hasn't hiccuped once in the last year.

I'd suggest to maybe get some walnut media mixed with corn, about 50-50. Add some polish, like 3-4 tablespoons, run it WITHOUT cases for about 10 minutes, and then add brass. If you just dump the brass in with the polish, it's gonna cake all inside the brass, primer pockets and so forth, making it hard to remove once it's dried on.

So save yourself the hassle of running around town trying to find all the components (like I did), and just get the kit, I guaranty you'll be glad you did.

Let us know how it goes...
Old February 11, 2005, 09:08 PM   #7
OfcrBill

Tumbler

Sir, I have always used MidwayUSA for everything, including tumbler. I have used them now for over 5 years and NEVER had a problem with their supplies. My best advise is not to go "cheap", because in most cases, you will get what you pay for. Stick with well-known quality brands. Can I get an Amen? Thanks, Bill
USS Jason AR 8
USS Kitty Hawk CV 63