The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 30, 2005, 02:03 PM   #1
wudjalike2no

turkeys

i was looking through my NAH magazine and there was a bunch of turkey stuff in there. i have never hunted turkey.wouldnt a 22 WMR or 17 HMR work also? like if you got a head shot? i think it would be more convenient since you wouldnt have to pick out pellets and there is very low recoil
Old January 30, 2005, 05:06 PM   #2
NSO_w/_SIG

.22's are used for turkey hunting

Here in MD rifles are only allowed for turkey hunting in the NW counties, .22's are used but I still prefer a shotgun. The majority of the pellets hit the head and neck region with a nice tight turkey choke on your gun. Besides that it is hard for the pellets to penetrate through all the turkeys feathers so it is not like you are picking pellets out of the breast to often anyway.
Old January 30, 2005, 06:43 PM   #3
Arizona Fusilier

The legality of rifles for turkey hunting varies widely by state. Not to mention mildly controversial (according to my reading/research).

Here in Arizona, .22 WMR is often legal during the fall hunt only, never in the sprind.
Old January 30, 2005, 07:43 PM   #4
wudjalike2no

it is not legal here in maine to use anything but a bow or 10-20 gauge, but i think a rifle would be more efficient