The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 25, 2005, 05:37 PM   #1
BigSlick

Primers - Switching brands in 500 S&W load - effects ???

Hi guys,

I am trying to work up a load for the 500 S&W. The load data calls for WLR primers. I don't have any of those on hand, but I do have a few boxes of CCI LR and WLR Magnum primers.

Any thoughts on using these ? Of course, I will reduce the load and work up. I usually don't wander from the published load data, but a trip to pick up a new batch of primers is about 60 miles from home.

Any favorite 500 S&W load data ?

Current load is 350 Speer JHP, 18gr. Titegroup and WLR primer with a medium crimp. I haven't tried any of the cast offerings yet, since I got a great deal on the Sierras and I also load for the DE in 50 AE.

Thanks in advance for any feedback

BigSlick
Old January 26, 2005, 12:07 AM   #2
Doug242ti

BigSlick, should be ok. I say should because to be honest, I ussually just use the recommend primers.

Im using 36gr LiL-Gun w/ 350gr Hornady XTP's. I put another 20 or so through it yesterday (with my typical 200rounds of 45 through the HK) and my hand feels better than I imagined.