The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2005, 09:40 PM   #1
wtex55

Seecamp .25

Looking at a Seecamp .25 because my wife is VERY sensitive about recoil---does anyone know what ammo this model uses?
Old January 24, 2005, 09:44 PM   #2
PsychoSword

I didn't know that Seecamp made a .25

My guess is either .25ACP or .25NAA?
Old January 24, 2005, 09:51 PM   #3
James K
Staff

I presume it uses the .25 ACP. I think there may be better answers to a recoil problem than .25 ACP, which is not very powerful, though better than throwing stones. If small size and concealability are real requirements, as opposed to just light recoil, there are .32 ACP models not much larger, and some .380 ACP and .22 LR pistols not much bigger. The .22 is not really much better than the .25 ACP, but it is a tenth the cost, so practice is less expensive. Larger guns, like .38 Special revolvers can be loaded with light recoil ammunition, and would even then be better than the .25 ACP.

IMHO, a small gun is an expert's gun. It can be deadly even at some distance, but practice is needed and small guns are hard to handle and shoot with any degree of accuracy.

Jim
Old January 24, 2005, 10:06 PM   #4
Poygan

I'm not certain but I recall (actually most of my recalling is vague) that it uses Winchester Silvertips. If this is true, it makes it rather limited in terms of ammo and will it always be available. Plus, it is expensive. A Beretta Jetfire is less fussy about its feed.

May I suggest that you start your wife out with a quality .22 like a S&W J frame? Start with .22 shorts (or less) and have a set of quality ear protection. I suspect the noise is often more scary than the recoil. I also prefer revolvers in this case as they are simpler to operate, especially in a potentially stressful scenario. She might actually have fun shooting, which is a win-win situation.
Old January 24, 2005, 10:52 PM   #5
alamo

It would have to be .25 ACP. The .25 model was discontinued many years before there was such a thing as .25 NAA.